Ford is debuting a diesel engine for the F-150 pickup truck for the first time.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an old 6.5 Turbo Chevy back in the day. I guess it had a mild chip in it, but if you drove hard it got 18.5mpg and if you babied it got 22ish. On the highway or backroad hunting it almost always got 19.5-20.5. It started fine in the winter and never had an issue. Bought it at 150k and traded it at 200k. For what they gave me in trade, I wish I would have kept the thing. One of my favorite pickups.

The main thing about modern diesels that stinks is all the BS that is attached to it for emissions. I would own another one if I could roll coal again while not having to worry about DEF or regen or particulate filters.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My f250 is a 2012 with 38,000 on it. At this rate this pick will last my lifetime averaging 7000 miles a yr. if we buy a cabin and get ride of our 5th wheel I might get rid of it. Hasn’t been out of my heated garage in 3 months. Might have to take a trip with it just because

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody on here has one of the ram ecodiesels? my wifes grandpa has one and he really likes it. he doesn't pull anything with it, so it's mostly just a highway vehicle.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been inside the local Ford dealership's diesel shop for a couple of little quirks the past few months, and almost not at all during the 8 years I've had my 09 F250. For the number of Ford diesels running around, it's not a very big shop.

Like all diesel owners, I really dread the day it will need the engine to be touched for anything. Oil cooler, injectors, etc, etc. Everything has its risks.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an old 6.5 Turbo Chevy back in the day. I guess it had a mild chip in it, but if you drove hard it got 18.5mpg and if you babied it got 22ish. On the highway or backroad hunting it almost always got 19.5-20.5. It started fine in the winter and never had an issue. Bought it at 150k and traded it at 200k. For what they gave me in trade, I wish I would have kept the thing. One of my favorite pickups.

The main thing about modern diesels that stinks is all the BS that is attached to it for emissions. I would own another one if I could roll coal again while not having to worry about DEF or regen or particulate filters.

Ahab,
The def thing really isn't a big deal at all, not to me at least. I thought I was going to hate it, and it was one reason why I, at first, tried staying away from the diesel purchase. Every oil change I throw in 2.5 gallons of fluid. Maybe one time since I've owned it has it dinged at me that I was under 500 miles total range with the fluid. No issues with the system, or when it regens. I am religious about letting this diesel run for 5 minutes in the summer when I first start it, and it gets a solid 15-20 min minimum in the winter time when its below zero. I really don't see this pickup doing the regen that often, but I think it's because I am religious about letting it warm up and do it's thing like its meant to do. If you are even half as meticulous as I am, you'll probably never see any issue with a regen or particulate filter.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't own a modern day diesel without being in warranty on engine.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyexer, you've kind of suggested that already. Can you give us some more specifics, like at what mileage a person should expect:

1. Major exhaust work due to particulate filter being plugged.
2. Oil cooler plugging up.
3. Injectors needing to be replaced.
4. ________ costing an arm and a leg

Assume the pickup has had its regularly scheduled maintenance, but is otherwise left factory. And even better if you are specific to Ford's 6.4L engine.

And for extra credit, are you a fan of installing a coolant filter to help minimize the risk of early oil cooler failure?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyexer, you've kind of suggested that already. Can you give us some more specifics, like at what mileage a person should expect:

Assume the pickup has had its regularly scheduled maintenance, but is otherwise left factory. And even better if you are specific to Ford's 6.4L engine.

And for extra credit, are you a fan of installing a coolant filter to help minimize the risk of early oil cooler failure?

1. Really depends on usage and driving habits. Lots of idling, short trips, not getting up to operating temps = DPF plugged. Little idling, lots of "road time" the occasional or often heavy load that creates high EGT's and a more complete DPF regen = DPF lasts a long time. IIRC, Ford's goal for consumer pickups is 250K without "major" repairs. Commercial vehicles like Chassis Cab and F-450 or larger is 500K w/out major repairs but the HP/TQ at least in the 6.7L PSD is de-rated ~20% for more longevity as well.

3. Injector longevity is a function of fuel quality/filtration and doing all you can to ensure you don't starve them with a "gelled up" situation.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

there are so many different scenarios I wouldn't even know where to begin. There isn't really a formula to prevent any of it. Most of the issues in the past have been inherent weakness's. It's nobody's fault if you get bad fuel and take out injectors and/or head gaskets. oil coolers haven't really been an issue that I'm aware of. EGR coolers certainly have. And they are made so damn cheap you can't expect much life out of em. And it's true right up to industrial engines. They are slowly getting more reliable with time but I still wouldn't own one without a warranty. A 10K shop bill is the norm not the exception now. You know it's bad when companies are making them so that you can pull the cab in 20 minutes to be able to work on the things. They all have different issues to. I know guys with 200K plus on em with zero issues and the next three guys couldn't get 60K on the same engine. And they are such a pain in the ass to work on that you pretty much have to take it to the dealer or you'll be on suicide watch. And it doesn't really seem to matter if they're modded up or stock. Or pulled hard daily or drove like an old fart. They're just time bombs.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just got back into a cummins diesel from a 6.4... just put on too many miles and pull 12 to 15k# hundreds of miles weekly...

i loved the 6.4 gas, but just didn't trust it out of warranty with the way i pull... if i just pulled a boat or/and camper, i'd have got another gas...

couple things - i use a box of def bout every 2500 miles, but i pull alot... mileage in late fall when i got it was bout 19 on the highway empty (70-80) and 14 hooked up heavy (same speeds) - pretty happy with that being new... 1 thing that has helped the mileage is that now with all the power, i went from 373's in a 3/4 ton to 342's... some with booger them up i'm sure being stupid, but the empty mileage is a huge plus for me... this 2017 cummins is beating my last 1 (12 cummins) by 3-4 mpg... i have 2 friends with the eco-diesel, and both rave bout them, both power and mileage, but neither of them pull with them... if ford gets the little diesel right, it should do really well...

and after having 1, i will never own another pickup without a rambox... simply awesome...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 26
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7