Ford key questions

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the deal. I have a 2014 f150. My lovely wife did laundry over the weekend and washed my keys. The keyless entry and remote start still works but the key won't start the truck. If I use the remote start it will run but as soon as I put the key in it kills the engine. (I love my wife) but the second key is no where to be found. Dealer says keys arnt covers under warranty unless it's mechanical, I left out the washer and drier details. Am I screwed on buying new keys and the whole reprogramming but. I know previous years with the chip you could just give a vin and prove owner ship. And they would cut a key and you would go threw a reprogramming process. Now it looks like I have to have it towed there pay for 2 keys and pay for them to reprogram everything. $$$

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put the key on a heat register or someplace where it will dry out real good, I don't know if it will work or not but what do you have to lose .

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a similar situation with my Chevy pickup. Don't remember the cost but pretty sure it was close to $200 or more. Didn't wash them but lost both sets. About a month after replacing everything as was expected, I found both of the sets that were lost. Long for the days where you could go in and buy a new key for a couple bucks. All that was needed was the VIN number.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost the smart key for my 2013 dodge. I haven’t even looked to see how much one costs. I should do that one of these days.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was curious so I found this on another forum, It's worth a try.

use pure alcohol with a brand new soft bristle paintbrush.
clean the whole thing and then let it dry for a few minutes. You might have to put in a new battery as well.

Key went through wash and doesn't work. (self.fordfusion)
submitted 2 years ago * by kschwa7
Put my main key, one with buttons on the key, through the washer and drier and now it doesn't work. It won't unlock the car and sets alarm off when I try to start the car with it. Should I pop it open and replace the battery? Has this happened to any of you?
Edit: Fixed it! Long story short: - Pop it open - take battery out - fill it with Iso alcohol and shake it up a few times to clean off laundry residue - dry and clear it out with compressed air - put it back together

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Davy! I'll have to try that before I have it towed to the stealership

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was curious so I found this on another forum, It's worth a try.

use pure alcohol with a brand new soft bristle paintbrush.
clean the whole thing and then let it dry for a few minutes. You might have to put in a new battery as well.

Key went through wash and doesn't work. (self.fordfusion)
submitted 2 years ago * by kschwa7
Put my main key, one with buttons on the key, through the washer and drier and now it doesn't work. It won't unlock the car and sets alarm off when I try to start the car with it. Should I pop it open and replace the battery? Has this happened to any of you?
Edit: Fixed it! Long story short: - Pop it open - take battery out - fill it with Iso alcohol and shake it up a few times to clean off laundry residue - dry and clear it out with compressed air - put it back together

Detective Crockett solves another case way to go bud.:;:cheers

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
It worked! If we ever cross paths drinks are on me Davey!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad it worked, Curiosity can be a blessing and a curse . Pay it foreword and help a little old lady with a flat tire or spend some time with a kid that doesn't have a dad and the drinks are on me if we ever cross paths.

Nmariner

Established Member
I always worry about something like that not working in the future. It might work for 2 or 3 months but what the hell does a guy do if youre out in the middle of nowhere and it decides not to start your truck? Disclaimer I dont know alot about and hate electronics

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eric B

Now take that key to Gaurdian and get atleast one more made and programmed there. $$cheaper than stealership. That key can give up at any minute.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eric B

Now take that key to Gaurdian and get atleast one more made and programmed there. $$cheaper than stealership. That key can give up at any minute.

I'm giving them a call tomorrow. For some reason the buttons on key won't work but the key will start the truck. Then all of a sudden the buttons start working but the truck won't start. Recleaning with alcohol makes the key work again. The dealership mentioned guardian yesterday. I think I'll bite the bullet and get 3 made and not have to mess around with this while it's cold out. I have a feeling I would get stuck when I'm out in the middle of nowhere deer hunting on Friday.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34