Forward facing dilemma

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't ever have excitement "finding" fish. After finding them, is where I get excited. Not finding them kinda sucks.
But don't you think that the people who had to search and search for gold were better off as men then those who were given the opportunity afterwards to get pointed in the right direction. Is technology making us weaker or stronger then past generations of those who had to struggle to make the accomplishments that they sweated over.

The article talks about the problem with the technology when it comes to the interaction of those who enjoyed to watch fishermen pursue the quest to find the perfect environment and what that entails. I'm not talking about the avg person who is a weekend warrior who has the blessing to spend his or her hard earned money on technology that helps him catch more trip on those few days he gets to enjoy in a time that are far and between. No one likes to fish all day and catch nothing, I did it many times growing up when you didn't even have a depth finder, this article is pertaining to the disadvantages of those who don't have the financial means to own forward facing technology. Once the technology becomes more readily available to everyone, I think more and more records of fish will shattered in the next decade.

I just own a vex and have finally seen the live sonar up close and its absolutely amazing especially fishing a lake like devils where i have been skunked more times than I would like to admit.😢 But it's still can't make those little bastards bite if they don't want to it just gives you better opportunity to find active fish.

My cousin bought a garmin 3 years ago and he has found out that ice pirating has gotten worse when it comes to those who are hardwater trolling, he says that if you find active fish and are stationary for a set amount of time people will set up next to you all day if they know you have one. It's still called fishing and being mobile is the name of the game especially fishing in devils lake where sometimes you were better off staying home when fish have lock jaw.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually, most guys that search for fish are not using the forward facing sonar, they're using the side-image sonar. Pretty hard to have your trolling motor in the water at the speeds these guys are hunting.

But I get your point. Once fish have been located, the guys are using the FF sonar to located fish and then cast to them. I can see where bass fishing and muskie fishermen see this as a huge advantage.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Nothing sells them better than the constant bitching that they're cheating.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing sells them better than the constant bitching that they're cheating.
exactly

Spotted bass,,smallmouth and pannies is where that stuff works great. --- i would swear that last year both BASS and MLF had more smallmouth events then ever to sell the FFace.

I have said this before a bud of mine has FF -- i used it a couple times this summer. Bluegill getter it was no good in the weeds thats my opinion.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one. They don’t make the fish bite that’s for sure. I honestly think I caught more fish before I had it. I’d say side imaging is a better tool.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s definitely not gonna ruin fisheries. I wonder how many times this has been said in the past about new technology? Even techniques

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished with a guy and didn’t put a line in the water till he found what he wanted with the live imaging . I don’t know which one it was but he was good at it and we caught the fish when he found them.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the boats that cruse thru where you are fishing looking at their graphs at 5-8mph 🤬

Guessing it won't be any different on the ice, asshats will drive up to where you are at, pop a couple holes put the ducer in the hole spin the handle around in a circle, jump back in what ever they are driving and just like Houdini poof they are gone. Fuckers!!...rofl...

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the boats that cruse thru where you are fishing looking at their graphs at 5-8mph 🤬

Guessing it won't be any different on the ice, asshats will drive up to where you are at, pop a couple holes put the ducer in the hole spin the handle around in a circle, jump back in what ever they are driving and just like Houdini poof they are gone. Fuckers!!...rofl...
Maybe you should buy one and be one of asshat Fuckers

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stand by my opinion. I've learned more about fish behavior in the year I've owned Livescope than the previous 43 years I've lived. I have trouble putting a mental picture together of what's going on below the surface and trusting what I "think" I learned with traditional electronics.

I envy those who have been able to put it all together using regular sonar, but for me Livescope has changed my fishing knowledge forever. Take it away from me today and I'm still a better fisherman than I was before I owned one. There were plenty of days this year when I didn't use it, only used the knowledge and confidence I gained to find and catch fish. Using it took time away from the actual fishing in many situations.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just the fact that you can drill one hole and then pan out in 360 degrees to find pockets of perch is what really gets me excited especially the first time being introduced to the technology. A decade ago you would have to punch dozens holes in the areas you scouted with the garmin that alone is money well spent imo. @Rowdie yes down image is mostly what you use once you find fish but that forward facing sonar is what really saves you so much time.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That is a great article that touches on all aspects of the discussion.

Anyone can catch fish. Finding fish is more rewarding to me.

Tough to say where the line should be drawn when it comes to electronics.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just the fact that you can drill one hole and then pan out in 360 degrees to find pockets of perch is what really gets me excited especially the first time being introduced to the technology. A decade ago you would have to punch dozens holes in the areas you scouted with the garmin that alone is money well spent imo. @Rowdie yes down image is mostly what you use once you find fish but that forward facing sonar is what really saves you so much time.
On the ice yea, but on a boat you'd have to deploy trolling motor or use a manual mount. In a boat you can cruise 5-8 mph and just use side imaging.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nobody's opinion of FFS is going to stop me from fishing how I want with my livescope.... but I won't be the asshat who's drilling holes 5-10' outside someone else's shelter! FFS isn't the issue, it's people and their lack of common courtesy for others.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88