Friendly heads up: AC prices increasing substantially in 2023

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just in case some of y'all are like 98 percent of our customers this time of year and planning on "waiting until spring" to replace their dilapidated, leaking, and/or non-functioning home air conditioner units, one word: Don't.

Thanks to the Department of Energy, new minimum efficiency standards will go into effect Jan. 1, 2023 that impact all residential AC manufacturers. In a nutshell, the new SEER ratings (i.e. SEER2) are on par with todays' 14 SEER units. No big deal, except these standards mean manufacturers had to redesign their low-end units.

Expect 20-30 percent price increases next year on AC's, in part to these design parameters, but also because the new units are quite a bit larger. As such, not as many can fit on a truck, so not as many can be shipped at one time. That means shipping costs, which are already high, will go even higher.

And the manufacturers won't take the hit, nor will the wholesalers or the contractors. You, the customer, will pay for these changes, and likely on a significant markup.

So as I've been telling all my friends and anyone who cares to listen, if you want to potentially save hundreds or even thousands of dollars, do yourself a favor and get an estimate to update your AC now. It's a slower time of year anyway for HVAC companies, so we tend to sharpen our pencils pretty good.

And if you think prices are too high now, well, I don't know what to tell you. Just don't call us when it's 90 in June and expect a deal. There won't be one.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Good info.
I’m not in the market, thank god, but if mine was close I’d just get it done now.

catbird

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just put a new one in July. For cost and still to dam high. A/C units have really went up in the last two years.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Duck! I didn't know any of what you shared, but we have a new one being installed at the beginning of October....good timing I guess!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just put a new one in July. For cost and still to dam high. A/C units have really went up in the last two years.

Well, two things: 1) you installed it in one of the busiest months of the year, so you likely paid premium pricing for it, and 2) prices have gone up insanely high since COVID for all HVAC equipment. Then again, they've gone up for just about everything a consumer would purchase. Seen the price of milk or eggs lately? It's all relative.

I'm in the belief of late that we're going to see a lot of folks selling homes simply because they can no longer afford the upkeep. Mark my words: rental market is going to be huge in the next few years.

catbird

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, two things: 1) you installed it in one of the busiest months of the year, so you likely paid premium pricing for it, and 2) prices have gone up insanely high since COVID for all HVAC equipment. Then again, they've gone up for just about everything a consumer would purchase. Seen the price of milk or eggs lately? It's all relative.

I'm in the belief of late that we're going to see a lot of folks selling homes simply because they can no longer afford the upkeep. Mark my words: rental market is going to be huge in the next few years.
I got it for cost and put it in myself. I know what they cost and what they ell for.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88