Bismarck roads and driving

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
The traffic signals are timed for inbound city traffic in the morning and for outbound traffic in the p.m..
IF the signaled intersections were all uniformly spaced at the ideal spacing for the given speed limit, only then can you time the signal progression to work equally well both directions.
(retired traffic engineer)
Well something isn’t timed correctly. It’s equally as shitty going into and out of town both ways at most times of the business day. Too many bottle necks around interstate for one. No major arterial roads north to south that actually flow without constant stopping. I just think of all the unnecessary time being paid out from businesses who pay people to sit in traffic or get around town on a daily basis.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't use one of those bike lanes if you paid me. When cars have to cross the bike lane to get to the turn lane it's just a recipe for disaster. Drivers don't pay attention to other cars - you think they're looking for bikes? Wonder how many bikers are killed before they're out there removing them.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jamestown removed all but 1 traffic light on main street. Is nice if you are traveling main, but it totally sucks at some of the side streets to either cross or turn down main at certain times. Wait , wait, and wait some more. They had the lights previously set pretty decent so if your were doing about 26 mph, you could catch all green.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
7th and 9th in Bis are timed for 25-27MPH from State St to Expressway. Drive faster and you're going to have to slow or stop at every next light. Drive slower and pretty soon you won't make the next light.

I do agree that vs. Fargo, Forks, Dickinson, or Williston, in Bismarck you're much more likely to get caught behind someone driving 5MPH or more under the speed limit on any streets that are 35MPH or higher. You're also much more likely to have someone pull out way to close in front of you and then putz along.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well something isn’t timed correctly. It’s equally as shitty going into and out of town both ways at most times of the business day. Too many bottle necks around interstate for one. No major arterial roads north to south that actually flow without constant stopping. I just think of all the unnecessary time being paid out from businesses who pay people to sit in traffic or get around town on a daily basis.
All the lights east west north south need to go green for extended time period imstead of ten cars through then stop everyone for 10 cars the other way...let the traffic flow for a few minutes..it's like a crack head with adhd controlling the lights the way we have it now...like I said before I think the city is trying to control the speed of vehicles not the flow....police should be the ones controlling the speed.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been traveling up north on 9th and south on seventh almost daily for 13 years. Most of the time only stopping once from expressway tp Boulevard. Or south at Main. It could be much worse. I drive about 27 to 30 mph. During BHS departures sometimes it slows traffic. To be expected by the high school.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. Just took my son to soccer from centennial down expressway to cottonwood. Of the 11 total lights on that route I hit 4 total green lights where I didn’t have to slow down or slowed minimally. The other lights I either slowed to an almost complete stop or had to stop for an extended time. Traffic was fairly light. Many of the side streets had one or two cars and some had zero cars. So we are stopping 10-30 cars for one or two cars? Or none at all. Like come on….. I do agree they are using the lights for speed control. I’m sure glad we are pushing this green agenda hard as idling and starting and stopping cars definitely burn less fuel than a car running at a more constant RPM 🙄(sarcasm) and agree it should be traffic enforcements job to control speed and bring in revenue through ticketing. Traffic control should be focused on efficiency and ease not controlling speeding.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been traveling up north on 9th and south on seventh almost daily for 13 years. Most of the time only stopping once from expressway tp Boulevard. Or south at Main. It could be much worse. I drive about 27 to 30 mph. During BHS departures sometimes it slows traffic. To be expected by the high school.
I agree that 7th and 9th aren’t too terrible it’s when you get to state street north it gets slowed up again.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that 7th and 9th aren’t too terrible it’s when you get to state street north it gets slowed up again.
State street is horrible.
What I really appreciate is those turds that drive slow. Especially from a stop. 20 mph on ninth is crazy.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Bismark seems to have a high amount of no turn on red signals, makes no sense to me.

jake57

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to brake to charge the batteries on your EV. that's why HA HA HA

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck somewhat suffers from not enough arterial N/S routes as well. 16th or 19th should go all the way through but neither does. 4th doesn’t make it down to main. Washington would be a great 4-lane but that’s highly unlikely between Main and Century.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Young children are fighting cancer on a daily basis and the amount of time it takes for some people to travel in Bismarck is a significant inconvenience??
Yes it is..because children fighting cancer has everything to do with traffic..D/S...who the F would even relate these 2?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This response was to show how selfish people have become. It's all about me. It takes me 10 minutes to drive across Bismarck when I only want it to take 8 minutes.
I only want to take 3 minutes to drive...how is that selfish if things could be way more efficient? Aka less shit in air to cause cancer causing diseases for children? My opinion making a comment like that is selfish...people on here are sharing issues and just maybe someone on here is in the shit dept that is causing the issues and may try and resolve them...maybe not but never know..

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only want to take 3 minutes to drive...how is that selfish if things could be way more efficient? Aka less shit in air to cause cancer causing diseases for children? My opinion making a comment like that is selfish...people on here are sharing issues and just maybe someone on here is in the shit dept that is causing the issues and may try and resolve them...maybe not but never know..
I guess we will just have to disagree. Am I in the "ship dept"?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 36 and grew up in Minot. Spent alot of time in Bismarck and even as a teenager realized how bad it was. Back then I associated alot of it with a LOT of old people pulling out in front, driving under speed limit, lane cutting people off, not getting up to speed of traffic on I94 on ramps, side by side drivers, timing of lights that make you slam the brakes. etc.

I dont think people who have lived here their whole life realize how bad it really is. I have lived here 12 years now and like someone else said, my blood pressure goes up daily.

I agree with all above, there is alot of seperate issues its hard to even wrap your head around how inefficient it is. Keeps my gas mileage down and brake shops in business, thats for sure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33