Garage interior upgrade

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 13 year old 28x40x9.5' attached garage that I am thinking about updating mainly due to hosting a couple grad parties over the next four years. Currently is sheet rocked, taped and textured. Garage has floor drains, hot/cold spigot, and is kept at about 60° in the winter via LP furnace (vented). A concern I have is there are some mildew/mold stain visible on some of the rafters but mostly in the corners by the two walk-in doors. I feel like that issue has not gotten any worse since I installed two ceiling fans that run 24/7 a few years ago. I'm thinking about putting a coat of Kilz on and covering the walls and ceiling with that pole barn type steel sheeting for a fresh new look. Open to other options as well. If you've got some pictures of your own garage I'd love to see them.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a friend who used the metal, but only about 3-4 ft up the wall. Works very well for dings that seem to occur in a garage setting yet doesn't have the echo. And looks very finished. Then stained the floor with an epoxy type of finish that looks much like marble.

He finished the garage for the same reasons, Graduation parties. Have to admit it's one of the nicest finished garages I've seen Would also try to eliminate any mold issues before covering it. If it's surface, washing with a Hi-lex type of cleaner works pretty well. If it's in the walls you might have to remove some wall covering.

NodakBob

Honored Member
IMG_1365.jpeg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your garage is too nice to park a dirty truck its not a garage its a living room. I know several people who have "garages" like the one above and let their vehicles sit outside 🤷‍♂️

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should clarify, my garage will still need to be functional as a garage. The echo is something I have never considered. I play poker out there about once a month and echo would be a concern.

Anyone have experience with that white vinyl type material? I think it's called milk board?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
personally, i think you are asking for trouble by putting metal over sheet rock. if ya think ya have a mold issue now, i see a bigger one in your future. i am by far no expert in this area. so, i could be completely off base. but, i see moisture condensing on the back side of the metal with no place to go and then molding and/or rotting your sheetrock.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told to insulate than heavy plastic than metal. I did flat white aluminum up to bottom of light switches than chip lap to ceiling and white barn tin on roof, and really good led lights all over. No echo worked good so far. I have corner that looks like one above with bar ,couches,chairs big tv table, and kitchen type setup, then I do live in my man shed a lot with my side business. I helped bunch friends put pole barn tin up the downfall was all damn outlet and switches to make look good. Maybe they make good extensions for those boxes not really sure.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first concern would be finding out why there’s mold. My guess is the attic isn’t vented or not vented well enough. Is there vents in the roof or a ridge vent? Is there vented soffit? If so are there proper vent chutes from soffit up into the attic to prevent insulation from closing off the vent area?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first concern would be finding out why there’s mold. My guess is the attic isn’t vented or not vented well enough. Is there vents in the roof or a ridge vent? Is there vented soffit? If so are there proper vent chutes from soffit up into the attic to prevent insulation from closing off the vent area?
Now your going to make me crawl up in the attic to investigate. Good questions.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My garages have all metal ceiling and walls, no echo issues. Use snap in electrical boxes for outlets. That way you can slide them away from a rib and put it on the flat part of the metal.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking of doing the Lid in my garage with white steel.
Downfall is all the LED 8' tube lights I have up there already.
Will have to check into the labor cost of doing it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My garages have all metal ceiling and walls, no echo issues. Use snap in electrical boxes for outlets. That way you can slide them away from a rib and put it on the flat part of the metal.
How does snap in boxes work when you already have boxes set have to but extensions on rib or not depends how metal works out and that dont work?

NodakBob

Honored Member
The decoys are on the second floor, truck is in the house garage. We play live music in it and the wood walls/ceiling along some mojo rugs on the floor really work well controlling echo/feedback

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does snap in boxes work when you already have boxes set have to but extensions on rib or not depends how metal works out and that dont work?
Have to take the existing box off, remove wires from outlet, pull old box out out and then install new box and reinstall outlet. Snap in box has screws top and bottom that have a flange and will clamp itself to sheetrock or OSB. Whatever is behind the metal.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to take the existing box off, remove wires from outlet, pull old box out out and then install new box and reinstall outlet. Snap in box has screws top and bottom that have a flange and will clamp itself to sheetrock or OSB. Whatever is behind the metal.
They’re called an old work box

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88