Garage interior upgrade

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have to take the existing box off, remove wires from outlet, pull old box out out and then install new box and reinstall outlet. Snap in box has screws top and bottom that have a flange and will clamp itself to sheetrock or OSB. Whatever is behind the metal.
Only thing behind my metal I put on is studs and insulation than plastic, seems like a lot of work if don't have OSB, plywood or sheetrock. Framing out wood on studs to get box where needed is way to much not fun kinda wondered have helped many friends

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with others regarding the "mildew/mold" problem. Thinking one would want to get that under control BEFORE making a big construction investment. At least have a viable PLAN in the works.

Questions for you to ponder.

Mold/Mildew:

Is it caused by frost? Which then melts. And causes mold.

OR is it caused by too high of humidity. Thinking this is different than the frost issue.

The solution for both may be there. The solution for one of these MAY not solve the other issue.
Follow?

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only thing behind my metal I put on is studs and insulation than plastic, seems like a lot of work if don't have OSB, plywood or sheetrock. Framing out wood on studs to get box where needed is way to much not fun kinda wondered have helped many friends
I have never put metal up on just studs. Wouldn't recommend doing so. Use osb or furring straps.

As far as framing boxes out, this is an option and not difficult. Ribs are usually 9 inch on center. So you could kick the box left or right by using 1 to 3 pieces of 2x4.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They’re called an old work box
Screenshot_20230928_121503_Chrome.jpg

This is the snap in box I am referring to

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never put metal up on just studs. Wouldn't recommend doing so. Use osb or furring straps.

As far as framing boxes out, this is an option and not difficult. Ribs are usually 9 inch on center. So you could kick the box left or right by using 1 to 3 pieces of 2x4.
Correct a lot of work thou,can be done yes. What does putting osb or furring strips do on studs, vs 10mil vapor barrier than aluminum and or steel. Got my info from well know contractor?

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Correct a lot of work thou,can be done yes. What does putting osb or furring strips do on studs, vs 10mil vapor barrier than aluminum and or steel. Got my info from well know contractor?
Furring strips give you something to screw to. Same with osb, but osb gives you reinforcement behind the metal. Still put plastic over studs. If you go the route of putting directly on studs, you will have weak and flimsy spots. Also you won't have a screw pattern. It will be completely random. Won't look as good.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mold issue might be lack of insulation in the attic,especially cosidering its by the doors,warm air being pushed up to cieling when door is opened condensing on a cold cieling,cieling fans would definetley aleviate the problem.Vented soffits' improperly installed attic chutes and minimal insulation would be things to look for.
Not saying its the cause,especially sight unseen,but would be a starting point.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
we've finished off a handful of garages with white tin on the ceiling and t1-11 or LP brand smart panel on the walls. looks good, no echo, durable, easy for anyone to install

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we've finished off a handful of garages with white tin on the ceiling and t1-11 or LP brand smart panel on the walls. looks good, no echo, durable, easy for anyone to install
Is that all wood type product. I wanted steel with finish and or aluminum. Maintenace free. and power washing in my garage.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just got done putting white tin on the ceiling of my pole shed walls are closed cell foam painter white. building got a lot louder with the tin on the ceiling. for lighting i bought 6 Chinese led light for 70 bucks off ebay. I'm impressed with the light they put out. Don't know how long they will last.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to highjack the thread but looking for some new shop lights for a cold storage building. What's the best option out there right now? Something LED I'm sure?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to highjack the thread but looking for some new shop lights for a cold storage building. What's the best option out there right now? Something LED I'm sure?
didn't biden outlaw incandescent bulbs so led are getting to be the only choice.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biden just finished the ban. In 2007 the process started. Good riddance

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113