Garrison Dam release / river level ?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
About time of the year for the spigot to start closing and let the river level drop anyone know when and how much they are going to drop the river level? Just wondering so I can plan my boating accordingly the next few weeks. Won't take much more than a few inch drop to cut off access to the river from a couple bays in Bis/man.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a rough estimate but based on the level this spring at 20,000 we were about three feet lower then it is now in bismarck.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks! Looks like next tuesday they cut the flow quite an bit from 33 KCFS down to 20 KCFS by the 13th of September.:(

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Below shows how the river level fluctuated with the releases last spring. Should be similar results this fall:
river.png

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Below shows how the river level fluctuated with the releases last spring. Should be similar results this fall:
freckles__20-279656.JPG

thank you sluggo

- - - Updated - - -

Should see the water level at Bismarck, drop about 3.5 to 4 feet, between now and about the 13th of September.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is what I've been hearing as well Jim.
thank you sluggo

- - - Updated - - -

Should see the water level at Bismarck, drop about 3.5 to 4 feet, between now and about the 13th of September.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
That will about be the end of boating north of Oahe then won't be too many access points at that level but will know for sure once it drops and where the channel and sandbars moved around to during the high water all summer, the sand bars and main channel have changed quite a bit over just the last 6 weeks in the Bis/Man area alone.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I've been hearing as well Jim.

On the 13th they are planning on being at a release of 20,000 CFS. That should be roughly equal to a stage of around 5.3 ft once a person adds in a little bankflow and water from the Knife, etc. So about 3.2 ft difference from today as the river currently reads 8.54 ft in Bismarck.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, 3.2 vs 3.5-4.0 ft is a difference of 3.6 to 9.6 inches, but as our lady friends might sometimes claim, that can mean a lot to the right person!

- - - Updated - - -

That will about be the end of boating north of Oahe then won't be too many access points at that level but will know for sure once it drops and where the channel and sandbars moved around to during the high water all summer, the sand bars and main channel have changed quite a bit over just the last 6 weeks in the Bis/Man area alone.

I love driving by Braille!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the 13th they are planning on being at a release of 20,000 CFS. That should be roughly equal to a stage of around 5.3 ft once a person adds in a little bankflow and water from the Knife, etc. So about 3.2 ft difference from today as the river currently reads 8.54 ft in Bismarck.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, 3.2 vs 3.5-4.0 ft is a difference of 3.6 to 9.6 inches, but as our lady friends might sometimes claim, that can mean a lot to the right person!

- - - Updated - - -

I love driving by Braille!

You're probably closer Allen, than I am. In any case, this fall, this should translate to some interesting fishing. 36 inches less water depth, is going to open up a LOT of shoreline.

What's happening at Garrison Dam, should be here in roughly one day. I realize of course, that the decrease in flow will be gradual.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31