Good Idea for Swimbaits or Not???

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been screwing around with jig hooks to see if I can get more and better hook ups while using swim baits. The recommended hook size for a standard 1/4 oz jig is the #2/0, which is the bottom jig, but I bought some #3/0 long shanks to see if they might be better on a swim bait. The question is, does the much larger long shank 3/0 hook mess up the action of a swim bait or not as the hook point comes out MUCH farther back in the bait?? The plastic is a 4.5 inch saltwater assassin. If using a larger, long shank hook works better, I might incorporate a wire holder and get a new mold just to make swim bait jig heads. I use those quite a bit throughout the year. Thoughts???

DSC03973.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Change is always bad. ALWAYS!!!!!! (grin)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think your fine with what you have. If I'm struggling with short bites, I'll throw on a stinger hook.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the heck? I rarely, if ever, suffer short-biting on swimbaits from what I could tell.

Swimbait fish are getting after it - they're not sniffling around all conflicted about eating.

- - - Updated - - -

AND if they are conflicted I'll move down the shoreline and take my offerings elsewhere where they're wanted. Stupid finicky fish.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha. I usually have two rods going. One minnow, one plastic. I notice my short bites on the minnow the majority of the time. so I'll switch over both rigs to include a stinger hook.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! The fish really crack a swim bait, but the larger hook also has a larger gap, so when the swim bait is threaded on, there is more of the hook exposed to sink into the fish's mouth. I've lost quite a few fish because the plastic prevented the hook from penetrating more than just he outer skin of the fish's mouth due to the smaller gap between the plastic and the hook point. I've seen it when they head shake with their mouth open and the hook pops right out. Which is why I'm looking into larger hooks than is recommended. More concerned with the effect on the action with a longer shanked hook. Thanks guys for the thoughts!!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no patience for those kind of theatrics.

Maybe that's why I either slay em or get skunked.

Just kidding - I sometimes play to wussy bite but I am pissie about it the entire time. he he.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you'll be fine, KDM. Only one way to find out I guess. Get them over shoes on and do some product testing. I'm still waiting to hear how those shallow raps do!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The time's a comin' for them shad raps. Just need a little more water temp and I'll be off with BOTH shad rap and new swim bait jigs in hand. On the water testing is the only product testing that truly counts IMO. However, at this point in time where I fish, it's still a slow hop'n'drag with a minnow that's catching the fish. Sigh.............

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm almost always in favor of a bigger hook gap, and hook placement as far back as possible. I like your thinking KDM.

ifish4iz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Upon recommendation from Wade at Dakota Tackle, I started using the Eagle Claw #574, extra long shank hooks for making my jigs for fishing plastics a few years ago. I also switched to increase hooking percentage with the wider gap with assassins and other boot style 4 or 5 inch plastics. I use 2/0 and even 3/0 hooks for 3/16 and 1/4 oz jigs. I believe that it has made a difference in hooking and holding percentage versus the standard jig hooks. I had to dremel out my jig molds to accommodate the larger hooks however. Now, if Gamakatsu or Mustad made similar long shank hooks, I'd really be happy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use eagle claw 575 in 3/0 for my 5/16 and 3/8 oz molds. I bet they'd be ok in the 1/4 slot as well. I'm going to pour some 3/16's this time around as well.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
as i was putting a swimbait plastic on a jig that i had made with the recommended hook size this exact same thought came to mind.. good thread and as luck would have it i have longer shanked hooks coming my way already, same sized swim bait you are running kdm

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my swimbaits are magically weedless/snagless with what I'm running now

more snags with a wider gap? I'll pass thanks

#ain'tbrokedon'tfixit

oops - sorry about the dead spawner

calm down - God will make another

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will make a huge difference going with the longer shank. Only time it will affect the action is when it starts going into the tail portion of the swimbait. I switched probably ten years ago to bigger hooks and have had much better success. You are heading the right direction. I use 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigs for 4 1/2 inch shads if I go to 6 inch shads its 3/4 to 1 oz jigs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33