Good type ice cleat

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't care how thick the ice is I NEVER drive on it...

Most years walking I've had packed snow on top and the trek wasn't so bad... Last year ran into some lakes with glare ice and pulling my sled behind me was dam near impossible and kept slippimg and not getting any traction.

What's a good ice cleat that goes over your boots?? Ive seen some $9.99 amd some $49.99....

Thanks!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got some that are easy slip on and off, square chain that have served me well for 2 years, think they are ice trekker. One of my buddies got the spendy ones with really big spikes on them and you can hear him walking 1/2mile away but grip is not an issue. I think I paid about $25 and he paid about $60ish. We have tried others but it seems like the chain stile and those more expensive pairs have been the best for us.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kathoola Microspikes. As luv stated they're not quiet, but you'll beat your buddies to the tipup every time. And if you fish with a caveman that still uses a Mr. Heater cooker, they'll save you from the infamous puddle
Kathoola_Microspikes.JPG

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best bet would be to bring the boots in to the store and try a couple pairs on and see what ones fit your boots.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of sorels with 1/4" self tapping screws in the soles! Very inexpensive.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a look@ "stabelicers" easy on off with Velcro,sheet metal screws for traction that won't tear up the shack floor like spikes,last forever and screws can be replaced easy enough if needed,after 15 years I never replaced the screws or had any issues.

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to experiment with the 1/4" self tapping screws on my "Early Winter" boots. They are cheaper boots and for a buck, can be done quickly and inexpensive.

I have 3 types of slip-ons but they are all a pain to put on, one size fits all is not always the case. Some are far too aggressive than needed and can be damaging to fabric on portable aprons if you catch on them, others don't really work well. I'd think you'd only need about 4 or 5 screws in each boot to get decent traction. I'd be curious to hear how they have worked from those who have done this.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with last post. I like the Stabilicers Maxx. I have used dang near every kind in the past because I walk a lot. The only ones that have lasted are the Stabilicers. Most other ones only lasted me a month. If it's just for ice fishing, maybe other ones are better. But if you want them for walking on a regular basis, Stabilicers are the best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9DO0/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying a $10 set from Menards right now. They work I guess. Not sure if a guy needs anything more than that.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago I slipped chasing a tip up and went completely horizontal in the air before coming down on top of my ankle. Luckily it was just a sprain but made me realize I needed cleats every time out. I don't like the spike ones because they rip apart ice house flooring (if I am in the permanent). Prefer YakTraks

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have used the sheet metal screws trick and it works for me. But I don't fish in a fish house very often.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51