Good winter tire for 2500 Duramax

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
i run the hankook dynapros as well, but only a 4 ply my half ton. A buddy of mine just put the duck commander mud terrains on his f350. They are made by cooper so they should be a good tire as well.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ended up buying 2 sets of winter tires 2 weeks ago at NorthWest Tire.
For the Honda CRV all wheel drive we put on a set of the Nokian Nordman 5 SUV tires.
For the 2016 Chevy Duramax 4 wheel drive we put on a set of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT 2.
Wow do they grip in just 2 wheel drive and it is nice being able to turn and stop on ice and compacted snow again. The all-season things that come on them are junk and made for spring, summer, and fall only.
While the snow tires aren't cheap they sure do grip. I did not put studs in either set.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I have tried everything everyone mentioned. My 2012 diesel has such a goofy size I had to buy Toyo all season two years ago. I had them before and wouldn't have bought them given a good alternative. I liked the BF Goodrich, but decided to try the Firestone Destination a couple weeks ago. It took them a while to get the right size in, but I got them on at 7:30 this morning. There was only a couple guys there, and I was the only customer so it didn't take long to get the new tires on. I saved my old tires and am going to buy another set of rims this spring. Enough of this buying tires that will work summer and winter, and not do a great job at either.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good call on the Hakka's. I love mine.
Ahab - the Blizzaks are a great tire, but are made of 2 rubber compounds. The first 1/3 of the tire is great, then they get hard and do not perform as intended.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good call on the Hakka's. I love mine.
Ahab - the Blizzaks are a great tire, but are made of 2 rubber compounds. The first 1/3 of the tire is great, then they get hard and do not perform as intended.

I am not sure about this article considering it was a Bridgestone’s Winter Driving School and the article states the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 – quote” While the Hakkapeliittas and Ultra Grip Ice WRTs were locked in frosty competition, Bridgestone’s W965s powdered their treads.
The W965s had far better acceleration and braking numbers than either of the competitors, and worked noticeably better on the heavy GMC Sierra Crew Cab diesel around the road course.
The Blizzaks laps 10 seconds quicker than the Nokians, 7 seconds faster than the Goodyear WRT, and 23 seconds better than the SR-As.” ~ seems a little bias

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure about this article considering it was a Bridgestone’s Winter Driving School and the article states the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 – quote” While the Hakkapeliittas and Ultra Grip Ice WRTs were locked in frosty competition, Bridgestone’s W965s powdered their treads.
The W965s had far better acceleration and braking numbers than either of the competitors, and worked noticeably better on the heavy GMC Sierra Crew Cab diesel around the road course.
The Blizzaks laps 10 seconds quicker than the Nokians, 7 seconds faster than the Goodyear WRT, and 23 seconds better than the SR-As.” ~ seems a little bias

Yes, it is biased. Nokian makes the blizzaks in their manufacturing plant and has the contract for 8 years. They are also tested at Nokians testing site. The design and compound of the rubber used in the blizzaks is Bridgestones. They are still a good tire for the first 1/3 of the tread.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31