grand forks tornadoes 6-7-2017

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
TORNADOES MOVING THROUGH THE NORTHERN VALLEY Atmospheric conditions are in place that are making severe t-storms capable of producing tornadoes. The main threat will be in the Grand Forks area and points west through this afternoon.

...any confirmations on touch downs out there?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Closest a tornado came to Gf was a mile east of Emerado . Natives beleived that when two rivers met that it would keep tornados at bay. So far so good

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Closest a tornado came to Gf was a mile east of Emerado . Natives beleived that when two rivers met that it would keep tornados at bay. So far so good

I have never heard this, seems those are the types of stories that should be passed down.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats because when bitching and complaining all the time it's hard to remember those kinds of stories. Which is ok we need those kinds of people to.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Natives are neat ... tell that to the people of Plattsmouth, NE or St. Louis, Mo

Yeah they are neat but until a tornado hits down smack dab in the middle downtown GF it's good enough for me.
Ps yeah I know its myth but you never know what is real and not lol

- - - Updated - - -

Myth or Misconception #2 .... Some towns are “protected!”
Various Native American tribes perceived tornadoes in different ways. Some saw them as a cleansing agent, sweeping away the ragged and negative things of life. Others saw them as a form of revenge for dishonoring the Great Spirit. Today, only the myths about the protection of towns by rivers and hills linger in modern American culture.
The Osage Indians, native to Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri passed on tornado legends to the early settlers. One such legend has it that tornadoes will not strike between two rivers, near the point where the rivers join. In the past 150 years, this idea may have given a false sense of security to some people who thereby failed to take shelter. They may not have lived to help debunk the myth. One by one, the myths that particular towns are protected have fallen by the wayside.
Emporia, Kansas, for instance, had sat “protected” between the Cottonwood and Neosho Rivers, in native Osage territory, for over a century. Emporia was free of damaging tornadoes until June 8, 1974 when a tornado killed six people and destroyed $20,000,000 worth of property on the northwest side of town. Another tornado did $6,000,000 in damage along the west side of Emporia on June 7, 1990. Part of the path of the 1974 tornado was also the site of a deadly twister on September 29, 1881, but the area was farmland then.
The idea that one's town is “protected” is a combination of wishful thinking, short memory, the rarity of tornadoes, and a distorted sense of “here” and “there.” Proof of protection has been offered by a very simple statement of fact. The town has never been hit by a tornado, but 10 tornadoes have touched down “outside” of town in the past 30 years. The occurrence information may be fact, but the conclusion that the town must be “protected” does not logically follow.
That logic disregards some very basic ideas. It ignores the likely possibility that rivers, ridges, and valleys have little or no effect on mature tornadoes. Tornadoes have passed seemingly unaffected over mountain ridges 3,000 feet high. Dozens have crossed the Mississippi River, from Minnesota to Louisiana. Both sides of the river, at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, near St. Louis, have seen devastating tornadoes.
Topography may have some influence, but protection is not one of them. Weak tornadoes may damage hilltops. But well-formed, mature tornadoes may actually stretch themselves into valleys and intensify. During this vortex stretching, the funnel diameter may shrink in diameter and the tornado will spin even more rapidly. This is hardly what one would call protection for buildings in a valley.
The belief that tornadoes don't hit “here,” but always seem to hit “north of town” or “south of the river” ignores some very simple mathematics. “Here” may be a small town with an area of one square mile. Just “outside of town” or “there” or “to the north” may be anywhere within visual sighting from the water tower, perhaps 10 miles in all directions. Therefore, if the town has an area of one square mile, then “outside of town” has an area of over 300 square miles. A tornado touchdown is 300 times more likely “outside” of town than in-town. The “protection” of the town does not come from hills, or a mound, or the joining of two rivers. Tornado protection comes from the same source as our protection from falling comets or other heavenly visitors .... that afforded by the laws of probability .... the very low probability of rare events such as tornadoes.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had one hit our farm in 1964. Spent the next year fixing the damage it left behind.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

Nothing much at all in the city of Grand Forks, just a bit of rain. All sunny out now again.

Regarding the above, I see it all the time on my radar app......a big storm is approaching, it weakens and breaks up around Grand Forks, and then reforms as soon as it passes East. My wife and I like a good thunderstorm, but that damn fork in the river ruins it for us most of the time!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, there have been a number of touchdowns. I've seen the pics and videos, south of the Air Base, more down east of Northwood, etc, etc. Small ones, but they'd still wreck your day if it passed too close.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The f5 that hit Northwood if this one touched down it would have been much worse and the f5 that hit wadena was crazy to. I helped cleanup some guys from Detroit Lakes went to help. When you see what they can do up close it really puts humans accomplishments in to perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Another tornado 1983 east of Langdon went across highway 5 and took a 30 x 3 foot chunk out of the pavement.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The f5 that hit Northwood if this one touched down it would have been much worse and the f5 that hit wadena was crazy to. I helped cleanup some guys from Detroit Lakes went to help. When you see what they can do up close it really puts humans accomplishments in to perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Another tornado 1983 east of Langdon went across highway 5 and took a 30 x 3 foot chunk out of the pavement.

So when did either of those EF4's turn into 5's?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha don't you know Dean the stories get more unbelievable each year f4 f5 meh 150 to 170 mph it's the after effects that is what counts

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
See if he would have had his field in no till and kept his shelter belts his field wouldn't have blown away!:;:stirthepot

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

Nothing much at all in the city of Grand Forks, just a bit of rain. All sunny out now again.

Regarding the above, I see it all the time on my radar app......a big storm is approaching, it weakens and breaks up around Grand Forks, and then reforms as soon as it passes East. My wife and I like a good thunderstorm, but that damn fork in the river ruins it for us most of the time!

Here it is in action this morning, nice little clear spot around Grand Forks. haha.

IMG_9486.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess Friday around 6 there was a tornado north of Langdon some members of the construction road crew have pics of it touching down. It bent 3 metel power poles, tore off some roofs and tore through some shelter belts well at least the few that are left.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
what's a shelterbelt?

Well son, back in the day there used to be rows and rows and rows of trees in between fields, as far as the eye could see…these glorious shelter belts helped prevent wind and water erosion provided habitat for wildlife .. however people needed to eat and feed their families so countless hours and resources were spent in destroying these shelterbelts so crop fields could be fractionally expanded…

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31