HB 1377 - Party Hunting

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
why is it ok with birds and fish but not big game ?
Because you can always go out the next day for birds and fish. Small game and Big game have different harvesting rules to begin with.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
why is it ok with birds and fish but not big game ?
I wasn't really saying it's ok with birds and fish, but I think it's much more common. I do think it's less of a deal with them as they're less of a finite resource IMO.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It isn't ok with big game because if party hunting big game is legalized, many hunters with Non-Hunting family members will start applying for tags for them, making it harder and harder for actual hunters to draw tags...
as pertains to small game and fishing, I personally am not necessarily opposed to party hunting/fishing. Do I think I should be able to go out and shoot a limit of roosters for my wife if she doesn't feel like coming with? no....
BUT, if I'm out hunting roosters with a buddy and one of us is limited and the other isn't I have no problem with letting my buddy shoot a bird to fill my limit.... In this instance and that of fishing, I'm ok with it because it applies to over the counter tag oppertunities.... everyone that wants to hunt small game or fish is able to do so without the need for a lottery drawing...
illegal is illegal it doesn't matter how you feel towards one or the other.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bill is really poorly written. No definition of party. It says that members of the party only have to have a combination license - no mention of each member needing a deer tag. It only talks about the number of tags - not species or sex.

A hard no from me. I can see letting a kid shoot a parent's deer if they are hunting together. A lot of game wardens probably wouldn't even write that ticket. I can also visualize plenty of bowhunters (for the most part) using this to shoot multiple bucks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
multiple bucks with bow???

I may have been rash in my earlier opposition to this sorely needed legislation

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
For clarification, party hunting is legal only for small game in SD. Big game hunting is not nor should it be. Too many opportunities for people to do shady stuff

With a pheasant hunt if 10 guys, I’m not sure how you can say with certainty who shot what. This I have no issue. Interestingly, federal law does not allow this for migratory birds. You better keep them in individual piles if the ferderalies come around!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
No to party hunting. What's the fun in having somebody else shoot your game? If party hunting is allowed every Tom, Dick and Harry are gonna be applying for every member of their family just to kill as many bucks as they can!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For clarification, party hunting is legal only for small game in SD. Big game hunting is not nor should it be. Too many opportunities for people to do shady stuff

With a pheasant hunt if 10 guys, I’m not sure how you can say with certainty who shot what. This I have no issue. Interestingly, federal law does not allow this for migratory birds. You better keep them in individual piles if the ferderalies come around!
Ya's it's still BS though. I've seen times where there are multiple guys in one blind and the same bird gets absolutely blasted. I mean they keep hitting it over and over till it hits the ground. Who's goose it that?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have been told that and it seems thats even up to the wardens discretion. We had a fed check us and birds were in random piles by blinds and he told us we get the wrong ass hole his words we could get a ticket. He said he likes to apply common sense to the law. Good guy

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could see some real conflicts arising if people start filling other people’s buck tags.

I waited 5 years for this tag and now you want me to put it on that little dink you shot?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasn't really saying it's ok with birds and fish, but I think it's much more common. I do think it's less of a deal with them as they're less of a finite resource IMO.
I'm saying it's OK, No really it's ok and God won't care if you violate this stupid regulation about who caught what fish. When trolling cranks with kids, they reel in ALL the fish! FK the rules when it comes to that!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We never called it party hunting actually didn't even know it was illegal until the internet, yeah I'm a late bloomer. I grew up like db did where the younger men pushed the deer to the seasoned hunters. The thing that made this a different time is no one in our party used a scope, so when you are pushing shelter belts which back then could be a whole quarter of a section long, large areas of bush again a quarter of section, pushing out coules or CRP. So being able to shoot a deer at 200+ yds was always a normal rather then a rarity back then. No one said a thing back then it was just excepted that was the way it goes.
Today with everything we used to push out as a kid is posted, most farmers who ripped out all those shelters belts and tilled up those fields have made whats left posted to the average person. Another thing believe it our not less people are hunting in big parties because not everyone in your party can get a tag all at the same time. Most in my unit of 2d actually hunt the way they hunt deer in Minnesota and that is to put tree stands or hunting shacks in areas we know where deer have traveled for years.
Also deer that have been pushed from one spot, shot at and then pushed out of another spot and repeated process tend to have gamier meat. So no party hunting is not needed with the advantages of todays hunters have over those who hunted at a time where shooting a trophy was not a luxury.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm saying it's OK, No really it's ok and God won't care if you violate this stupid regulation about who caught what fish. When trolling cranks with kids, they reel in ALL the fish! FK the rules when it comes to that!

People (mostly dads trying to be dads) at one time would help cast for their kids, especially out paddlefishing, NDGF took a dislike to that practice and made the rule that everyone has to cast and retrieve their own line. Might just be the biggest killjoy rule I've ever heard of in my life.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya's it's still BS though. I've seen times where there are multiple guys in one blind and the same bird gets absolutely blasted. I mean they keep hitting it over and over till it hits the ground. Who's goose it that?
Are you saying you never hunted with a guy that claims every bird as being shot by him

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
No to party hunting. What's the fun in having somebody else shoot your game? If party hunting is allowed every Tom, Dick and Harry are gonna be applying for every member of their family just to kill as many bucks as they can!
When you have children who are ready to hunt big game but the law prohibits them due to age…… I can venture to guess many a dad let said children shoot “ a tag” before there of age

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m totally against this as it would be ugly but in the above case I see no issues

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88