Headlamps

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
IHLS doesn't affect you, until you try a really good light. Then there's only one cure.

Walking along the shoreline at night, just glancing into the water, I often see baitfish, small walleye, pike, carp, and sometimes bigger walleye. Last fall I was fishing with a guy who fishes a lot and he said he never sees any fish. I told him he needed a better light.

I have a few "expensive" goodies like this, but I don't have a boat payment, so the wifey - she don't mind.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
exactly - get the USB recharge

The older a guy is, the more sensitive you are apt to be about using battery powered devices. Because we spent decades buying batteries, accidentally leaving devices on, etc. So we're naturally reticent to use battery powered devices unless they're really needed "because batteries are expensive". Ha ha. Also a PITA to buy, replace, yadda.

It took me a while to get it into my thick skull in recent months to wear a headlamp when working on mowers, motors, boat, etc.... where I usually have used trouble lights or similar fixed or corded lights - which all suck.

Now that I have a Fenix with USB recharge I couldn't care less about leaving it on, etc. and I can see exactly where I'm looking.

For sure.. corded or fixed does suck! For those applications, this is my huckleberry. I could be a freaking Milwaukee bill board for all the stuff i have...from a drill driver to an impact wrench, weed trimmer, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, 4, 5 and 9 amp batteries, haha But i am gonna get myself a Fenix lamp.
43758_2000x2000.jpg

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think im suffering from IHLS. 100 bucks for a headlamp is a hard pill to swallow for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

thats "Insufficient Head Lamp Syndrome" for those not in the medical field

Same. And do I need 1400 lumens to see the length of my arm? Good grief. I just need to see to clip on a different lure or unhook a fish, I'm not a navigational beacon for boats a couple miles away or a ground warning for low flying airplanes. The only fish I need to see are the ones hooked on the blue guy.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same. And do I need 1400 lumens to see the length of my arm? Good grief. I just need to see to clip on a different lure or unhook a fish, I'm not a navigational beacon for boats a couple miles away or a ground warning for low flying airplanes. The only fish I need to see are the ones hooked on the blue guy.

you probably glow in the dark naturally at this point and don't even require a headlamp :D

- - - Updated - - -

you did read above where people use it for more than fishing, right?

I often find myself frustrated by the lack of light when mechanic'ing and realize it was only set on "1" and I bump it up.... and then it's AWESOME again

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hiking out of mountains with cliffs made me really appreciate spending the extra on a head lamp. I have a black diamond storm but battery life is not great so i might have to check out the phoenix . Weight is always something i look at for my application also

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

The light can be turned down.

I rarely think to myself "I wish my light weren't so bright, or this knife so sharp, or this tool so laden-with-quality". I hardly ever say to myself "Man, I wish I had bought the handgun with less capacity", or "I wish I hadn't spent that extra money on the better quality reel".

I surely wasn't trying to say everybody needs an expensive light. People were just asking what's a good light.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 23
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7