Helpless feeling

3geese4me

Honored Member
Just got the word that I've been laid off. No rhyme or reason, just a "thanks for all you did and we're sure you'll be fine."

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hang in there. The sun will rise tomorrow. Its a bump in the road that seems huge right now but you will pull through. You healthy? you have everything you need.

What field of work are you in?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add, I'm speaking from experience...I came out the other side better for it.

- - - Updated - - -

And you will too.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes a blessing in disguise is hard to see right away., You will get through this and be better because of it.. keep your head up

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm hiring if you want to sweat your ass off for little pay...lol

Seriously though, I am looking for a shop guy. I'm in the FM area.

campchef

Honored Member
Been there, done that, Twice actually. Just don't fall for a MLM scheme. North Dakota is a great place to be looking for a job. Best wishes.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear that. I had the same situation 5yrs ago and ended up in my current job I can say that overall it was actually a move I was needing and glad it happened to me.

3geese4me

Honored Member
I was working for a contracting company as a data analyst for an oil and gas company. Went into work last night and my boss said thanks and that he was sorry.

I have a bachelor's degree in accounting and I am half way to my masters in IT. Looking to try and use my degree if possible. I live in Minot.

1gdhntr

There is a Data Analyst position that just opened up with ITD for the State of ND in Bismarck.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best of luck, friend. It's a sucky situation. Been there myself. As said above, when all the dust settles, it's likely you'll be glad for the change.

One thing to think about. If they can cut a guy out, just at the drop of a dime, do you want to work there long-term anyhow? I'm sure the job had its good points, but...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was working for a contracting company as a data analyst for an oil and gas company. Went into work last night and my boss said thanks and that he was sorry.

I have a bachelor's degree in accounting and I am half way to my masters in IT. Looking to try and use my degree if possible. I live in Minot.

Dang with that kind of experience you should find a job you are way over qualified for what we are hiring for. Good luck it will all work out for you.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Losing a job sucks but that's the energy industry, nothing is ever 100% secure. The good news is your educated and have some pretty desirable degrees...you'll be fine in the long run.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck and hope everything works out for you.
Best thing to do is put some feelers out with everyone you know as word of mouth is the best bet.
Too often it isn't what you know it is who you know!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is living proof that people are just a number to big corp. Good luck in finding something new and stable.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly ask yourself: Did I like my job? Or better yet, did I love my job? If you say no, then ask yourself another, honest question: What job would I love to do?

I was in your position two years ago. Total gut punch. Had a brand new baby girl that wasn't even a year old, and a son who was just three. Wife had just quit her job and was about to start a new one. I've never felt so low. Like an absolute failure.

After about a 15 minute pitty party I started calling people. Literally everyone I could think of. I spent all night updating my resume, and the next morning turned my new job into finding a new job. I applied everywhere. Less than two weeks later, I was hired. It was the longest 12 days of my life, but I stumbled upon a career field I had absolutely no idea I'd ever work in, and I love it. I've been promoted twice and now oversee 11 employees, including sales and install departments, and run the marketing 100 percent. Plus, we just went through a rebranding process and I was a huge part in making it go off without causing our phones to stop ringing!

If you'd told me this was my future two years ago that fateful day, I probably would have laughed.

All I can say is a little perseverance goes a long way. You'll find something bigger and better. Just don't settle. Don't sell yourself short. Now's a chance to make a change and do something you're really passionate about.

You'll find something soon. Keep at it. Some good words to the man upstairs don't hurt, either.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just sit at home and have a few beers and a bon fire for a few days and ponder what you want to do.... I've been laid off 5-6 times in my life with the longest duration being 8 months, man that was a rough and painful 8 months but I made it through it..... you will make it too. Best of luck buddy

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at it this way , Your boss did you a favor . When I was doing time out there and work slowed down they didn't want to see the men leave so they teased us along the best they could with promises that they were working on contracts that would get us back to work again. They kept us busy one hole at a time and in the shop but the bottom fell out and by then I had wasted a few years of my life barely keeping my head above water . Then came the slap in the ass whey dissolved the corporation and took our profit sharing and retirement . Legally . The oilfield can be superior and ruthless within a month or two. Great place to pick up some good coin

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sucks 3geese. I’d offer to put some feelers out there for you but I’m on the crappy side of the state and my company is going through some changes. Our accounting and IT people will possibly be looking for work within the year.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never nice to get laid off...yup..been there done that like the just the rest of you. One truly doesn't know what field of work will make them happy, alot of people never ended up staying in the field they schooled for, may use it time to time, but never actually made a huge career out of it, unless you get your foot in the door of a solid company. Me..I have two degrees, 2 yr accounting and an AAS in Electrical Technology, had short stints in both fields, then got kicked to the curb. I have lots of other talents and skills I can use, you just never know.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33