Humminbird Helix 7 G3

RRmaniac

Established Member
Looking at getting some electronics for the boat and have it narrowed down to the Helix 7 MEGA SI GPS G3. Can get it for a little over $600. Can get it with Navionics+ for $70 more. Is it worth it to go this route? What would be the best map chip for Devils Lake and some of the other small lakes in the area? Thanks in advance.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Navionics is the best chip for the Nirds.

If you have a little more coin I'd bump up to the Helix 8 G3N. It has better resolution screen and a slightly improved processor. The MEGA imagining will be improved over the 7.

Joshua79

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my 7 however I am slapping my self for not going with a 9. Only for the reason of having 2 chip slots... I can't live with out a zero line card in mine. So I use the base maps and phone gps to get to spots then I map the depths my self. Takes a little extra time but worth it for up to date contours.

RRmaniac

Established Member
I love my 7 however I am slapping my self for not going with a 9. Only for the reason of having 2 chip slots... I can't live with out a zero line card in mine. So I use the base maps and phone gps to get to spots then I map the depths my self. Takes a little extra time but worth it for up to date contours.
I hear you, but it was already a little bit of a stretch for me to go up to the 7. I wanted to just get the 5. I'm upgrading from a 1990s Eagle finder that pretty much can only show depth.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say go for it as that seems like a fair price. Will be a heck of an upgrade over your old Eagle.

For mapping I would recommend the LakeMaster Dakota's card (especially if DL is your go to lake). This is what I have and found to be pretty accurate on DL. It's also a High Definition lake for LakeMaster which means 1 foot contours (Sakakawea was added a few years ago..1 foot contours to 40' deep). You can view the lake list for this card here: https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors....tnb1/HUM_productmanual_600013-5_ll_dktnb1.pdf

I have no on the water experience with Navionics cards but if their cards are the same data as their website (https://webapp.navionics.com/) then I would say LakeMaster has the advantage. Navionics looks a little 'generic'. Again I'm basing that off their free web app program so maybe the chips are different.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lakemaster's Dakota's + Neb card in the birds blows the navionics out of the water.

RRmaniac

Established Member
Thanks guys. I was able to buy it for 640 with navionics+ from Hodge's Marine, only $30 more than without. I will likely look at the lakemaster card as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56