I need expert advice

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me and my 11 year old son are going ice fishing for the first this Saturday. I live outside of Bismarck and want to stay within 1 hr of town but do not know where is the best place to get our feet wet.:;: Any kind or size is OK with us we just want to pull something up the hole. Also what type of bait would you use. Thanks for any input that you may have.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best way to get an 11 year old into ice fishing is to have a tip-up spread out. He will love chasing flags if they are biting, if not he can dink around on the tablet or phone while waiting and eating junk food. Get the polar ice braided tip up line, 2 feet of mono 20 lb test to attach to that then a quick strike rig (two treble hooks) holding a frozen smelt. Put the smelt anywhere from 3 feet below the ice and a foot off the bottom.

Lots of good lakes to catch pike around Ashley/Wischek.

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Harmon Lake would be a good bet to take your kid, plenty of pan fish. Talked to a few people that said they were doing okay out there. Be worth a shot.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I brought my son out last year at 2. He was kept entertained by a bucket of minnows even on a slow day.

This year I hope to repeat the process, but we're bringing a tablet along in case squirmy minnows don't cut the mustard any more.

I'm not sure what 11 year olds are interested in. They can't change that much from toddlers, right??

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lotta "experts" around here...

How many of you growing up played on a "tablet" while ice fishing with your dads, grandpas, uncles, etc?

Whatever happened to just running/sliding around on the ice, throwing snow/ice chunks at siblings, or sticking your leg down the hole?

Unfortunately I am guilty of letting the kids play the ipads at down times occasionally, just makes me wonder sometimes how we didn't die of boredom when we were little.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, good luck on your outing. Hope you can get on a few fish quickly before the interest starts to fade.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garth! I have not gotten it on the ice quite yet. Still not sure where I will put it, might even keep it on the MN side this winter. How about you? You get out at all over the holidays?

Ha Fishstick you got house on the ice yet??

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
tips ups for pike or a lake full of panfish that you can't keep off the line. ain't sure about the lakes by bismarck. but, both at the same time may be an option.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you need true expert advice you are at the right place.

When you decide to drink beer in the garage, let the wife know its none of her damn business, if you want to save a few bucks on pickling salt, water softener salt is an acceptable substitute. Making your own honey with a back yard in town beehive is neat, and shitting next to another mans fish shack could potentially get your face rubbed in the very shit pile you left next to the dudes shack.

P.S. don't carry your cell phone in your front shirt pocket while ice fishing, it has been found a dangerous habit.

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be happy to get them. If you can't get them done this week that will be OK, but if you do get them done that will be ok also.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
davis WPA north of wing last winter was great spot for kids. catch little perch and walleyes until there sick of them. I heave heard crooked lake north of Turtle lake is biting fair as well. I have not been out this year and wonder how the access is to these places

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it just north of Wing? I have not heard of it. i have been to Wing but do not know that area well.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I helped out at a 4-H kids fishing camp last summer. We went to McDowell Dam. I spent the afternoon taking laps on the fishing pier taking off blue gills for the kids. Nothing bug, but lots of action.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I helped out at a 4-H kids fishing camp last summer. We went to McDowell Dam. I spent the afternoon taking laps on the fishing pier taking off blue gills for the kids. Nothing bug, but lots of action.

I don't believe ice fishing is allowed on mcdowell

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

McDowell is closed to ice fishing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33