I need some advice about ice fishing!

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I plan to go to Napoleon on Hwy 34 at the train tracks. This is the first time I have been ice fishing. I plan to get some tip-ups and sit in the van with wife and kids. So the questions is this a good place to fish for pike or somewhere else in Napoleon? what is the best bait to use I seen hot dogs work good? if no hot dogs than what should I use. my wife and kids do not have much patience and I was wondering About catching some pike it was a fun place this past summer. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no clue about your spot but, as far as just fishing tips goes, smelt seem to be the "go-to" for a lot of guys. Herring is also an option. I like "Dakota Quick Strike Rigs" below tip ups. Dakota Tackle for sure has them, maybe other places do to. A subject of great debate in my family is whether one should run to tip ups once the flag goes or if one should walk. I am a fan of walking. Don't try to set the hook if the fish is screaming line out of the spool and remember that ice can even cut the heavy black/green line.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Ghost said....only advice I will offer, is to NOT take your family on the ice in a vehicle anymore this year. Lots of vehicles going through lately. I think it's supposed to be nice outside anyways, so just bundle up a little more.

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
we are not driving on the ice we are walking from the shore and staying warm in the van while we wait

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minnows, smelt, red hot dogs will do. By the looks of all the houses still sitting on 3ft of water the pike bite is still good. Also if that spot is taken you could head through town turn west at Cenex and fish off the road/boat landing area. You didnt say what day you'll fishing but if its friday my advice would be stop at the White maid for lunch and have some knoephla soup.

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also if that spot is taken you could head through town turn west at Cenex and fish off the road/boat landing area.We plan to go Saturday. Is that a better spot.

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also if that spot is taken you could head through town turn west at Cenex and fish off the road/boat landing area.We plan to go Saturday. Is that a better spot.

It may and may not depending on what time you get there and how many peaple are parked there.

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will try to be there in the morning around 9-10 am. Where is the White Maid? i do no't know Napoleon that much just the bait shop on the main drag

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will try to be there in the morning around 9-10 am. Where is the White Maid? i do no't know Napoleon that much just the bait shop on the main drag

Right across the street from Ken's gas station (bait shop if thats what you'd call it)

tinker

Founding Member
Founding Member
can get smelt from grocery store. sometimes its good quality, other times ill just use big minnows. if using a treble hook put 2 or 3 minnows on.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have fun! Also, we are not responsible if you end up spending a cple grand in gear for next winter... Hope ya slay some. Last, if you go to the grocery and ask about smelt, don't forget the silent AND invisible "CH", ask for "schmelt"

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
With this heat and wind all houses have moved off the ice. Ice is blotchy on the whole lake. Alot of water on the ice and small openings near the boat/dock area, so unless youre hardcore and dont mind getting wet i would stay away. Don't know how much water is running from Braddock dam area but Moffit creak might be open or will be soon for shore fishing

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Horse head may be decent spot to try as well. The game and fish stocks millions into there so should be plenty to catch but there are only a couple spots where you can get a vehicle next to the lake.

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the wife's van broke down and i did not get to go this weekend. thanks for the advice anyway i still plan on going one weekend soon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 87
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31