Ice Auger Trubles

LBerger_15

I have an old Jiffy Model 30 that I just put a new carb on. It starts up great and runs excellent at open throttle but when I let it down to idle it dies out. I think I’ve tried almost everything so I was wondering what any of you guys have any tips or advice

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't be much wrong if it's a jiffy. does the new carb have adjustment needles or is it fixed jet ? did you clean the intake surface good and put a new gasket on so it isn't sucking air ? Does it make a difference when it warms up ? One of my old jiffys runs like a charm as long as I leave the choke on the first notch all the time, I have run it that way for 20 years and always figured i"d fix it but it runs so good I have't bothered messing with it.

- - - Updated - - -

And like chucker mentioned , Could just be that the idle is set to low

LBerger_15

Is your idle screw adjustment correct?
I believe so. I looked up jiffy’s recommended settings for the idle and open throttle screws and set them to that. I believe they were 1/4 turn on the idle and 1 1/4 turn on the open throttle

- - - Updated - - -

Can't be much wrong if it's a jiffy. does the new carb have adjustment needles or is it fixed jet ? did you clean the intake surface good and put a new gasket on so it isn't sucking air ? Does it make a difference when it warms up ? One of my old jiffys runs like a charm as long as I leave the choke on the first notch all the time, I have run it that way for 20 years and always figured i"d fix it but it runs so good I have't bothered messing with it.

- - - Updated - - -

And like chucker mentioned , Could just be that the idle is set to low

Brand new gasket. Cleaned the mounting surface and set the idle and throttle screws. Still no luck

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like Jiffy said about the kimber that wouldn't feed, How much you want for that no good piece of shit. Haha

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When is the last time you changed the spark plug? Also does it die out when it has warmed up completely

LBerger_15

When is the last time you changed the spark plug? Also does it die out when it has warmed up completely
I pulled the spark plug and checked it and it looked good. I didn’t replace it since it looked good and ran fine when opened up. It does die out still even when warmed up

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Turn the idle screw in another 1/4 or half turn and see what happens... if it still dies turn it another 1/4... if that don't work then I have no idea

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pulled the spark plug and checked it and it looked good. I didn’t replace it since it looked good and ran fine when opened up. It does die out still even when warmed up
Adjust your idle screw when its completely warmed up I know some say do it when it cold but that's what the primer bulb is for when it's cold blooded. To tell you the truth but the choke should only be used when first starting up after it starts use the primer bulb to keep it running. Also run amsoil 90:1 in your auger

Aucker33

Established Member
I would change the plug and go from there. You would rule that out and they are pretty cheap.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn’t this SJOP (standard jiffy operating procedure)? I thought that’s why their owners constantly rev them between holes like dirty biker JohnR does on his Harley on Main Street.

- - - Updated - - -

[video]http://southpark.cc.com/clips/254813/brub-brrub-brrrrub[/video]

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
So that’s why my jiffy is still in the garage. Wife said I should sell it, you have an ion

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't there a screw or two on the throttle linkage too on those jiffys? Might be to adjust the full throttle position only though.

The two screws on the carb are low speed and high speed. If I remember the procedure correctly, you adjust the low speed for idle and then adjust the high speed until it goes from idle to full throttle smoothly.

I've read that they say to do these adjustments while its cold.

LBerger_15

Isn't there a screw or two on the throttle linkage too on those jiffys? Might be to adjust the full throttle position only though.

The two screws on the carb are low speed and high speed. If I remember the procedure correctly, you adjust the low speed for idle and then adjust the high speed until it goes from idle to full throttle smoothly.

I've read that they say to do these adjustments while its cold.
I’ve tried adjusting it when it was cold and hot. Neither worked. And yes there is a screw on the throttle linkage. I adjusted that until it was idling as high as it could without engaging the clutch. After I did this it would idle for maybe 5 seconds and the engine would then slow down and sputter out. Tried adjusting the idle screw from there but nothing seemed to change.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56