Ice Rod Case

tommygun23

Established Member
I'm sure this subject has been touched on millions of times but I want some first hand opinions once again. Been looking for a hard sided ice rod case. The otter is nice because I could clip it on the side of my Monster box, the frabill is nice as well as you can get the same thing but it's a Plano for like$50. But the main reason I'm asking does anyone have an experience with the Eagle Claw hard case, looks pretty decent especially for only being around$40. Any opinions?

thanks

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the eagle claw case. For what I needed it works very good. Carries 5 rods no problem and my small tackle box plus more misc stuff. One thing I will say is that it is light duty so if you take it to Winnepeg in the cold and rough conditions I am not sure how it will stand up. For $40 I like it and it works perfectly for me, I have to fold my handles but no more getting lines and rids tangled

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
the striker transporter is sweet... its kind of a combo soft/hard side but it can also hold 10 plano boxes if you have that much tackle and 5 rods... can wear it as a back pack, or carry as a duffel

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this subject has been touched on millions of times but I want some first hand opinions once again. Been looking for a hard sided ice rod case. The otter is nice because I could clip it on the side of my Monster box, the frabill is nice as well as you can get the same thing but it's a Plano for like$50. But the main reason I'm asking does anyone have an experience with the Eagle Claw hard case, looks pretty decent especially for only being around$40. Any opinions?

thanks

If you already have the monster box for your ATV, I would consider the otter slide on case a must have for that, its awesome. Having said that, the slide on case isnt great if your not using your atv because the slide on attachment sticking out the side of your case. I run the scheels black/red hardside case for $40 bucks when not using atv, I think its a decent case for the money.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kind of keen for those simple, three-rod cases with the bag on the end leading to a single PVC tube. I used to think I wanted a case to keep all my rods arranged, but now that I'm into the teens, it's not practical to lug around a couple giant plastic cases when tangles still occur. For me, I can keep three rods in a case and have those rods equipped with rod sleeves. No tangles, and I stay relatively organized (i have a panfish case, a jigging case, a deadstick case, etc.). It's not pretty, but it is functional.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member

thanks

I apologize as this doesnt help your question; but how do you like your monster box? Is it the medium size? Would you be willing to take measurements of it for me? I am thinking about fitting one to my snowmobile and dont want to spend the $300 and find it wont fit... Overall width and length front to back as well as width of the center "saddle" area would be very helpful. I understand if this is not possible or if you are not willing.

I do have the hard sided scheels rod case. Pure garbage. If I get the monster box I plan on 2 of the Otter rod boxes. If I dont go the monster box route I will probably be getting the Ice Innovations rod box..

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I apologize as this doesnt help your question; but how do you like your monster box? Is it the medium size? Would you be willing to take measurements of it for me? I am thinking about fitting one to my snowmobile and dont want to spend the $300 and find it wont fit... Overall width and length front to back as well as width of the center "saddle" area would be very helpful. I understand if this is not possible or if you are not willing.

I do have the hard sided scheels rod case. Pure garbage. If I get the monster box I plan on 2 of the Otter rod boxes. If I dont go the monster box route I will probably be getting the Ice Innovations rod box..

I have the rhino box for my wheeler, and I love it, I went the rhino route because rhino makes the otter box, and from what I was seeing otter looks like they are phasing out of them... major difference is if you can get the true monster box (old one) it will hold a 5 gal bucket where mine won't https://www.rhinomade.com the outfitters in minot has them on hand right now too, btw they are not compatible with one another, so an otter tube will not fit on a rhino box

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the rhino box for my wheeler, and I love it, I went the rhino route because rhino makes the otter box, and from what I was seeing otter looks like they are phasing out of them... major difference is if you can get the true monster box (old one) it will hold a 5 gal bucket where mine won't https://www.rhinomade.com the outfitters in minot has them on hand right now too, btw they are not compatible with one another, so an otter tube will not fit on a rhino box
Rhino is owned by the same company as Otter, they just changed the name to differentiate the ATV stuff. The old Otter box slide on attachments will work with the Rhino box (same product). The current Otter rod case and auger shield don't have the slide-on bracket, the Rhino stuff does. Clear as mud!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks bfishn I did not know they were owned by otter... I was also told they did not work together (never tried it)

defiant1

Honored Member

thanks

I have the Eagle Claw and it works well and fits in my Jet Sled nicely with all my other gear.

d1

Attachments

eagle claw case.jpg

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hadn't seen the eagle claw one until now. Might have to consider that. I have a soft sided case and it's terrible even with rod sleeves.... will be upgrading my case before anything else this year.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the blue clam soft sided. Not a fan. Wish i had got a hard sided.

I have this case an like it. I wanted a case with lost of storage pockets for all my randon stuff (tools, couple small tackle boxes, gloves, flask, head lamp, etc) and this works nicely. If I am jumping in with someone else for the day all I need to do is grab this one rod bag and my vex and I'm ready. It is rigid enough that it protects the rods decent enough but not like a hard case.

tommygun23

Established Member
I believe my Monster box to be the biggest size and it mounts up to my Polaris XP perfectly. Width I would say 3ft and length is about the same. If you want mounting ideas for a snowmobile, google should have quite a few. It will be tight for a second person sitting behind me but it will do. The amount of stuff that can be fit in there is awesome. Shouldn't have to put anything in my sled. Also, I mounted two milk crates on the top, one fits my propane tank and the other fits my big buddy heater.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51