Im in the market for a new rifle.....

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a browning hells canyon long range hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. I absolutely love it. My wife loves it as well.. I'm pretty sure it is now her gun... They aren't cheap, but between the 6.5 creedmoor being a lower recoil round, and the muzzlebreak, it is actually fun to shoot. Mine likes the Hornady precision 143 eldx factory loads and it really like the Hornady set 129s

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a browning hells canyon long range hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. I absolutely love it. My wife loves it as well.. I'm pretty sure it is now her gun... They aren't cheap, but between the 6.5 creedmoor being a lower recoil round, and the muzzlebreak, it is actually fun to shoot. Mine likes the Hornady precision 143 eldx factory loads and it really like the Hornady set 129s

Just bought one in 6mm Creedmoor. Literally just got it and don't even have a scope on it yet but I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Petras, what did the gun run?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
get something in the .264 caliber line. my wife shoots and loves ( we both love) the .260 Remington. basically its splitting hairs with the new and ever popular 6.5 creedmore but the ballistics are very comparable. she shoots the savage predator hunter version, it is an absolute tack driver with the 140gr berger elite hunters. I have wither taken or personally seen the .264 diameter bullet ( 6.5) kill a bull elk dead in tracks using a 140 grain bullet so those that say its too small just don't get it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1507977888581.jpg

He he he

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine ran $1789 plus $30 for shipping and $25 for FFL transfer.

yowza... mine was right around $1200 and I bought it from scheels. It took a couple days to get it as it had to be sent up from the Bismarck store. I topped it with a vortex viper pst 6-24 that I had sitting in the safe.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575 that meme is great. its pretty much he truth. the .260 gets no love and they are essentially the same ballistically.
petras same scope my wifes is topped with and I like that scope too.
ive taken flack for this before but don't go to scheels and pay what they have. research go online to buds gun shop, gun broker and find it 200-300 dollars cheaper. if your scared of intenet purchases go to Mandan sporting goods or desperado firearms in Mandan and they both quote fair prices for me in the past. desperado is new but very fair with my ole man and his new savage.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
yowza... mine was right around $1200 and I bought it from scheels. It took a couple days to get it as it had to be sent up from the Bismarck store. I topped it with a vortex viper pst 6-24 that I had sitting in the safe.

I did get the Long Range McMillan. MSRP on it is $2129 so I didn't think I did too bad. Just mounted a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 on it this weekend but haven't had a change to shoot it yet. Looking forward to it though.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575 that meme is great. its pretty much he truth. the .260 gets no love and they are essentially the same ballistically.
petras same scope my wifes is topped with and I like that scope too.
ive taken flack for this before but don't go to scheels and pay what they have. research go online to buds gun shop, gun broker and find it 200-300 dollars cheaper. if your scared of intenet purchases go to Mandan sporting goods or desperado firearms in Mandan and they both quote fair prices for me in the past. desperado is new but very fair with my ole man and his new savage.

The 260 was out marketed by the 6.5 creed. They weren't both going to survive. Remington is good at losing (7mm express, 244.....)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 260 was out marketed by the 6.5 creed. They weren't both going to survive. Remington is good at losing (7mm express, 244.....)

If Rem could cypher proper twist, COAL, and mag-box length they'd fare better in the longevity of their in-house developed chamberings.

- - - Updated - - -

His McMillan stock is worth more than the $$ difference between the 2.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
For hunting I like lighter barrels. The larger diameter bullets require a bigger hole in the barrel which makes it lighter. I also like jalapeño Cheetos very very much.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
While I wish I had 2K to drop on a rifle and scope, that is not the case. I am hoping to get something with my trade or sale included for around $500 bucks. Leaning more towards to 6.5 at this point but still open to others. So with the final price of around 1K ($500 cash, and ~$500 trade/sale) what is everyone's suggestions on brand of rifle and scope?

I know they have those package deals at scheels, or runnings this time of year for a rifle/scope combo for 500 bucks. I know some people who have purchased those and have been very happy with them. Has anyone else purchased these in 6.5 and been happy with it? I am not a big shooter. Just someone who makes sure his rifle is sighted in prior to deer season, hunts till I get my rifle deer then it sits for the rest of the year. What I am getting at here is I don't need the top or even the middle the road when it comes to hunting gear.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I wish I had 2K to drop on a rifle and scope, that is not the case. I am hoping to get something with my trade or sale included for around $500 bucks. Leaning more towards to 6.5 at this point but still open to others. So with the final price of around 1K ($500 cash, and ~$500 trade/sale) what is everyone's suggestions on brand of rifle and scope?

I know they have those package deals at scheels, or runnings this time of year for a rifle/scope combo for 500 bucks. I know some people who have purchased those and have been very happy with them. Has anyone else purchased these in 6.5 and been happy with it? I am not a big shooter. Just someone who makes sure his rifle is sighted in prior to deer season, hunts till I get my rifle deer then it sits for the rest of the year. What I am getting at here is I don't need the top or even the middle the road when it comes to hunting gear.

If your just lookin for something to shoot a deer with, and then let er sit for the rest of the year. I'd probably go with a savage model 11 or even a savage axis 2. They are cheaper guns and they will work excellent for your intended use
You can get the Model 11 in 6.5 creedmoor with a 3-9x40 Nikon on it for of $679(MSRP) and cabelas has them for $579.
You can get the the Axis 2 in 6.5 creedmoor with an off brand 3-9x40 for $485(MSRP) and cabelas has them for $449.
Both options come with a $50 mail in rebate as well

I personally have a savage model 11 in 22-250 and it is a fricken tack driver. .21" holes at 100 yards with factory loaded ammo. Savage does make good guns and that accu trigger is awesome.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
$1K budget is going to buy you a very nice package. Ruger, Browning, Howa/Wby Vanguard, Remington, and I think even the newer Bergara rifles are in your budget and you won't really have to skimp on a scope with any of them. Might even be able to get into the Kimber Hunter if you can find one on the shelf in 6.5Creedmoor.

tinker

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive got a ruger precision in 6.5cm and love it, only complaint is the weight. a buddy of mine has a savage in 6.5cm and that gun has taken down a moose, 2 elk, 2 pronghorn, 1 whitetail buck, and 1 or 2 coyotes with 143 eld-x rounds....THIS YEAR! I have a 7mm mag also but love my 6.5. if i had the money or need i'd check out bergara b14 hmr...around $1k

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

id say the .260 is surviving just fine. is widely used in by gunbuilders and competitive shooters. like 5575 meme indicates the creed is the new "cool" thing that everyone talks and companies are pushing. its called marketing.....my point is don't be fooled by the marketing scheme when in fact you can gets yourself into an old caliber that is very very very similar.

here the next big thing..26 nosler with the 155 elite hunters berger just designed. people said the 26 nosler was dead didn't need it, shot your barrel out to quick..... then berger comes out with a .264 diameter 155 gr bullet and now its gonna be the creedmore in 2-3 years mark my words.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive got a ruger precision in 6.5cm and love it, only complaint is the weight. a buddy of mine has a savage in 6.5cm and that gun has taken down a moose, 2 elk, 2 pronghorn, 1 whitetail buck, and 1 or 2 coyotes with 143 eld-x rounds....THIS YEAR! I have a 7mm mag also but love my 6.5. if i had the money or need i'd check out bergara b14 hmr...around $1k

im thinking we know the same person... that rifle has been busy1

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
id say the .260 is surviving just fine. is widely used in by gunbuilders and competitive shooters. like 5575 meme indicates the creed is the new "cool" thing that everyone talks and companies are pushing. its called marketing.....my point is don't be fooled by the marketing scheme when in fact you can gets yourself into an old caliber that is very very very similar.

6.5 Creedmoor offers shooters the opportunity to shoot all available 6.5mm bullets due to proper twist. Can be loaded at a COAL that'll allow land engagement if one so desires, while remaining within the confines of a magazine box.

Forethought is firing the fad.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54