jigging rap VS lipless crank

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was down to my last two jigging raps so went to pick up some up at Runnings or Walmart and all they had was lipless cranks so I gave them try, couldn't catch anything on them , went back to jigging raps and started catching fish again. Which do you guys have the best luck with ?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have started a good collection of jigging raps. I have Rapala's, PK's, DH's, and Frostbite's. I don't know why I keep buying them because I've only caught one pike on such tackle. I like to think they call them in, but I haven't seen them work for that yet. I guess I will keep trying and then switch to spoons when I realize it's not working.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't fish lipless cranks often but I have my PB walleye thanks to snooty patooty form @DirtyMike/DH Custom Baits.... so they have their place.

I've found that even with mono I tend to lose fish halfway to or at the hole with rapala jigging raps and clam tikka minnows. The acme hyper rattle has been the best for me when it comes to keep fishing hooked.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I have started a good collection of jigging raps. I have Rapala's, PK's, DH's, and Frostbite's. I don't know why I keep buying them because I've only caught one pike on such tackle. I like to think they call them in, but I haven't seen them work for that yet. I guess I will keep trying and then switch to spoons when I realize it's not working.
ditto with you! have a bunch, have yet to catch anything on them. keep trying though. one of these days. lol

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I got an assortment of lipless and can't say I have had the best of luck, they are for sure a lure designed for charged up aggressive fish so they might be better early ice or when/where I am not. The one time I did have great luck was a bluegill excursion and the bite died off around 11am (which is like clockwork) so for a little experiment I took the smallest rippin rap I had in UV orange or UV Pink and put a couple waxies on the belly treble and that got the gills going again and they were aggressive hits, switch back to more traditional panfish jigs and dead again, even tried my small spoons I historically do well on and nothing beat the rippin rap. Jigging Raps I started getting into about 3yrs ago and dedicated more time with them (started when out with CatDaddy) and have had better luck. At times I think the loud baits have their place to call fish in but they are trickier and take a certain technique to get fish to commit on a regular basis (maybe help to modify with feather treble on back or treble with a willow blade on belly or back). I think I buy them because I'm like a kid in a candy store with big dreams and ideas. When I am running either rippin or jiggin rap I always have another rod setup with a spoon or jig and plastic, depending on what I'm fishing for, and if they come in but won't commit I quickly switch rods and that has many times been the ticket.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think lipless cranks have near the action nor do they sink as fast. And most likely don’t give off the vibrations raps etc do.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I solely use lipless through the ice. They have always been a confidence bait for me. I rarely use jigging raps through the ice, sounds like I need to try them more.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer the raps over lipless,but have been using the acme hyper glide and hyper rattles alot more, better profile on the flasher and just a little twich with the hyperglides and the wings seem to trigger the bite.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer the raps over lipless,but have been using the acme hyper glide and hyper rattles alot more, better profile on the flasher and just a little twich with the hyperglides and the wings seem to trigger the bite.
I've thought of adding a few of these to play with. Are they as heavy as the comparable jiggin rap? I got a few Acme Hyper Hammer T.T. I'm starting to play with

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw those when I was scouting for jigging raps but $ 9 a pop . Next question is do you guys use leaders when jigging in pike infested waters ? I've always tied direct or with a snap but northerns smack them once in a while and all you feel is a good tug if even that and they bite off . I have some of those invisible leaders in my boat but I can't find them.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually Floro leader 6-8#, sometimes not, good snap hook (VMC or Spro) small barrel swivel (Spro brand). Like anytime in pike waters I just hope for the best. Surprisingly I I haven't hooked that many pike if you add up my time on the ice fishing waters with pike.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw those when I was scouting for jigging raps but $ 9 a pop . Next question is do you guys use leaders when jigging in pike infested waters ? I've always tied direct or with a snap but northerns smack them once in a while and all you feel is a good tug if even that and they bite off . I have some of those invisible leaders in my boat but I can't find them.
Forgot to mention I run my tiny barrel swivel about 18"+ above lure, depending on rod length.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
A banana jig with a live minnow. I just can't catch shit on those ones without bait.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've thought of adding a few of these to play with. Are they as heavy as the comparable jiggin rap? I got a few Acme Hyper Hammer T.T. I'm starting to play with
They are heavier than comprable jigging raps,I usually pick them up spring of the year sales,takes alot of the sting out of the purchase

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may want to give this a try: JR's twist the hell out of your line. Every ten minutes or so; suspend the Rap and just let it spin for a few minutes...WHAM. Can't figure what the hell this would simulate but it works. My problem with JR's is keeping any damn thing hooked.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO/E black wire is not detrimental to strikes. I got tired of losing baits long ago. The secret is rolling your own wire and streamlining the attachment to the lure. I mean holy shit; they see plastic lips, O rings and treble hooks...If they're that finicky it's time to fiddlefuck with live bait.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO/E black wire is not detrimental to strikes. I got tired of losing baits long ago. The secret is rolling your own wire and streamlining the attachment to the lure. I mean holy shit; they see plastic lips, O rings and treble hooks...If they're that finicky it's time to fiddlefuck with live bait.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84