Kratom

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had never paid attention to that name until I saw there is an upcoming tv special about it so cabin fever made me google it . I read a couple articles and watched a couple video clips but not a lot of real credible information one way or the other. One was from Dr oz and he was just as lost as me about it but there was interesting debate from others. From what I gather it's from Asia and a legal leaf or herb that has pain reducing capabilities comparable to opioids but supposedly safer but big pharma is fighting it and trying to kick it to the curb. One of the debates I watched claimed that big pharma is paying off DEA to turn it into a schedule 1 drug which didn't surprise me and tells me it might have some fairly decent medicinal properties. Has anyone tried or heard of this for pain and did it work ?

lindy1420

Been using it for years. Don't trust any pain meds the doctors prescribe. All natural remedies is the way to go. Kratom is the best thing since sliced bread. My wife has chronic pain and the Doctors had her on a big dosage of fetenyl patches then one day decided to say your done and not prescribe anymore, and let me tell you it was hell for months, but kratom works even better then any opioid that she has tried and hasn't touched a pain pill for almost a year and she has her life back.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting, Thanks. Is this fairy new in USA or has it been around forever under the radar and just getting more popular ? I guess we maybe heard of it before and didn't pay attention until we saw there is going to be a special about it on KX13 news at 10 on Wed.

A couple clips that I watched on it brought on more questions than answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0XPRE9W80I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqNetM7OWj0

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on saying no thank you to prescription pain meds. Always watching for that magic breakthrough for wifes fibromyalgia to get her lifestyle back.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Learn something every day I guess. Never heard of the stuff. Sounds like the jury is still out.

lindy1420

my wife also has fibromyalgia. They are sure troopers to be battling none stop pain

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, Thanks. Is this fairy new in USA or has it been around forever under the radar and just getting more popular ? I guess we maybe heard of it before and didn't pay attention until we saw there is going to be a special about it on KX13 news at 10 on Wed.

A couple clips that I watched on it brought on more questions than answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0XPRE9W80I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqNetM7OWj0

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on saying no thank you to prescription pain meds. Always watching for that magic breakthrough for wifes fibromyalgia to get her lifestyle back.

my wife also has fibromyalgia. They are sure troopers to be battling none stop pain

ultrasonic-454

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive been taking kratom for almost 2 years now.this stuff absolutely works for chronic pain.my knees and back were in such pain i had a hard time walking some days. the previous post is right, big pharma has paid fda commissioner scott gottleib to try to secretly schedule kratom as a class 1 drug because it has the potential to cost them billions.big pharma cant patent kratom because it works as a whole,not just one part of it.(they cant patent a natural plant.) kratom has been a lifesaver for me.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had plenty of inquiries about the plant. Had to do a little research and found a documentary (heavily biased obviously) which was somewhat educational. There have been some issues with some users, probably "overdose"-type situations. Even if I'm in a the "natural health" arena, I'm always skeptical of all natural products with wild claims. There's a reason pharmaceuticals are widely used, they're potent and quick to action. Natural products might be better for you, but will always take extended amounts of time to actually work.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find this very interesting, definitely going to look into it further. My inevitable hurdle will become, buying it while being frugal and trusting a seller? How do you purchase these non mainstream products? Just seems like I could grind up thistle from my yard all summer, call it anything I want and sell it online.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks addictive

hard pass, can hardly afford the necessary rum

chewing tobacco was nearly impossible so I am paranoid about anything addictive

- - - Updated - - -

also, snake poison, poison ivy, and arsenic are all natural

gtfoh with that natural silliness

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks addictive

hard pass, can hardly afford the necessary rum

chewing tobacco was nearly impossible so I am paranoid about anything addictive

- - - Updated - - -

also, snake poison, poison ivy, and arsenic are all natural

gtfoh with that natural silliness

You evidently have no need for chronic pain relief , Count your blessings . Others are not as fortunate and are forced to either put up with severe pain or waste away with a guaranteed to be addictive opioid. Neither looks like much fun so Gt.......... oh never mind. I'll pass on your advice though.

- - - Updated - - -

I find this very interesting, definitely going to look into it further. My inevitable hurdle will become, buying it while being frugal and trusting a seller? How do you purchase these non mainstream products? Just seems like I could grind up thistle from my yard all summer, call it anything I want and sell it online.

I am not in favor for more government but maybe there should be governing body that is one step below FDA or maybe what ever institutions that do research should be required to submit guidelines and or set up testing procedures similar to what MM is doing . I don't know, All I have is questions. and I am not anti big pharma but opioids scare the hell out of me. They are a wonderful short term fix but for long term they are a death sentence for some people. Some people do just fine with them while others don't , they affect different people in different ways.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had plenty of inquiries about the plant. Had to do a little research and found a documentary (heavily biased obviously) which was somewhat educational. There have been some issues with some users, probably "overdose"-type situations. Even if I'm in a the "natural health" arena, I'm always skeptical of all natural products with wild claims. There's a reason pharmaceuticals are widely used, they're potent and quick to action. Natural products might be better for you, but will always take extended amounts of time to actually work.

Thanks DM , It's always nice to get professional and hands on input and advice, That's what I am looking for. We both read good and bad things about opioids as well as natural remedies and one has to sift and sort through all information when looking for long term management. It will be interesting to see what KX news report says.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always been (well 1968 onward) interested natural foods and medicines. I have about ten publication. One dating back to 1896 called the Herbalist. I think of myself as guardedly optimistic. I am optimistic, but keep in mind that cyanide is organic too. That and the pain in the ass that the old hippy girls give me when they would say Ooooorgaaaanic.

Anyway, it sounds interesting. Often anything that helps pain is addictive. I can understand why people get hooked on anything that will stop pain. I took Oxycodone for about a week after getting out of the hospital then stopped it even though the pain was bad. My wife has that fibromyalgia also. Sure would be nice if the had a pain relief that didn't eat your liver or kidneys. I have been on anti inflammation meds since 1993. I had rotaror cuff surgery in December and the doc said six months before he can fix my knees, but I got good news about a half an hour ago. I had a doctors appointment and he said I healed so fast he told the nurses to schedule me to do both.

Spade you better keep us up to date on that Kratum. Thanks for the info.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
natural products contain a host of compounds besides the ones that are responsible for the action we desire

the nicotine in tobacco that we desire isn’t what gives us cancer

say what you want about big pharma - at least you know exactly what you’re putting in your body

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do? That is taking the word of the fda now it has been proven by a doctor who helped develop OxyContin that at first the fda had ruled not for every day use. We’ll magically after some money and a little lobbying that little tidbit was changed and the every day use of opioids was born. There is some place that is between what big pharmaceutical and the natural world wants. Big pharmaceutical though is here to make money and healing people takes them off the pay roll so there is something to think about. Also how many cases have there been where now pills are manufactured in not so high of standards and people die or get sick from something that is in there shouldn’t be.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
natural products contain a host of compounds besides the ones that are responsible for the action we desire

the nicotine in tobacco that we desire isn’t what gives us cancer

say what you want about big pharma - at least you know exactly what you’re putting in your body

Who is bashing big pharma ? This discussion is about alternatives to a drug that is highly addictive and has ruined hundreds of thousands of families and personal lives and caused 47,600 overdose deaths in 2017 (67.8% of all drug overdose deaths). This is simply looking at other options than a death sentence for those that have no other choice between pain or meds for the rest of their life . Your right , We know exactly what is in opioids , A disaster waiting to happen so we looking at other options.
You acted the same way when we had a hemp topic, It's like we are invading your space by having discussions about it. I'll get the hell out of here with this "natural silliness" when someone with authority tells me to.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who is bashing big pharma ?
You have to read the previous posts. Only two examples. Your welcome. :)

big pharma has paid fda commissioner scott gottleib to try to secretly schedule kratom as a class 1 drug because it has the potential to cost them billions.

Big pharmaceutical though is here to make money and healing people takes them off the pay roll so there is something to think about.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57