Lake Winnipeg Update 2017

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blackwater Cats is the way to go. Donavan knows his stuff. I fished with him in January....awesome guy and great attitude. Yeah if you follow him on facebook, he does go live and gives out tips. Essentially everything he says about ice fishing, I listen with a solid ear and take notes. LOL

Ramathorn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between Donovan and Lee, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I was up there with Lee last year and in 2 days Lee and Donovan called each other at least a few times each. Those guys all work together really well so if one of them is on fish, I'm pretty sure all of them are. At least in the same general area of each other. Lee stresses if the weather is good, move a ton till you find them steady. For us last year it seemed there were only so many active fish in a general area, we would drill, rattle hard and catch 4 or 5 then they would stop, if we hit 15 minutes without a fish, we moved. Then after 10 or 12 moves we hit a spot where we never got a 15 minute lull and stayed most of the day. Granted that was a banner day, but the same principal I think works pretty well with less numbers.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
messaged one of the guides 2 days ago and he said trucks were still good, granted a lot can change in 2 weeks up there but the forecast looks like no snow and upper 20's and low 30's for the next week

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find out the guide who buys the most DH Custom baits and go with him !!!!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find out the guide who buys the most DH Custom baits and go with him !!!!

Snooty Patooty was the best lure on Friday-Saturday when we were up there. I think my buddy who was with me will be ordering some DH Custom Baits soon after I out fished his live target and the spoons!

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard somewhere they just flat WORK.............

Never underestimate the POWER of the patooty.....

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snooty Patooty was the best lure on Friday-Saturday when we were up there. I think my buddy who was with me will be ordering some DH Custom Baits soon after I out fished his live target and the spoons!

Did you need an extension this weekend up there? no problem getting around with wheels im assuming?
Heading up there thursday night thru sunday if anyone else is there hit me up

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you need an extension this weekend up there? no problem getting around with wheels im assuming?
Heading up there thursday night thru sunday if anyone else is there hit me up

yes you need an extension but just barely. We had a few spots near ridges there even with the 12" extension we couldn't get through but move 20' and we were fine. There were alot of trucks out and as long as you keep your momentum up they seemed to be doing ok but it would be pretty rough. we were on sleds.

Brandon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished last 3 days over all, I would say slower fishing then we have had the last 4 years. 30.5" was the biggest with one 30 and a handful of 27 -29 in the group. It seems that the 18 to 24 inch year classes are missing and the big fish numbers are way down. We had maybe a dozen big fish that came off at the bottom of the ice. Still a great time and we will be back in March!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished last 3 days over all, I would say slower fishing then we have had the last 4 years. 30.5" was the biggest with one 30 and a handful of 27 -29 in the group. It seems that the 18 to 24 inch year classes are missing and the big fish numbers are way down. We had maybe a dozen big fish that came off at the bottom of the ice. Still a great time and we will be back in March!
These were my experiences up there too. Caught lots of 16-18 inch fish and a handful over 27 inches biggest being 29.5 inches. What size fish are caught in the commercial nets? If I had to guess would guess its the 18-24 inchers

Brandon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although I have zero first hand knowledge, I have to believe the netting has a huge influence on the lack of big fish. We drove up to a mile long net line, 1 mile north of Matlock, and you would not believe the size of fish heads laying on the ice. I'm afraid the golden years of Lake Winnipeg fishing are fading,.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
These were my experiences up there too. Caught lots of 16-18 inch fish and a handful over 27 inches biggest being 29.5 inches. What size fish are caught in the commercial nets? If I had to guess would guess its the 18-24 inchers

Actually we sat and watched them pull a bunch of nets last year. It would really surprise you at what they catch. Lots of junk fish, some pike....and a whole lot of walleyes. The majority of the walleyes they pulled were from the 5 to 8 pound range with a fair amount up to I'd say tops of 11 pounds. It will make your stomach hurt watching it. They were super nice guys, and they're just making a living, but no doubt they take more big fish out in one day than most lakes in ND see in a year. (Excluding the major lakes).

I listening to a well reapected biologist up there give a long speech at a conference on a YouTube video. He stated the problem is, of the 10 million (I can't remember if it's in tons or pounds and I know it's a big difference) that the commercial industry is allowed to harvest, they don't have restrictions on how much of one species they can catch to make up that quota. Beings the walleye market is the highest, that's basically all they are keeping. Mind you I witnessed them throwing pike and whatever they didn't want on the ice and driving away. The biologist also stated that the bulk of the big fish that the recreational crowd is chasing is from the same monster year class, which was like 05 or 06 if I remember correctly. He said every year that year class gets weaker and sooner than later, what the recreational industry thrives on will be a thing of the past unless the providence starts restricting how much of the quota may be filled with walleye. He also believes the world record will come out of the lake sometime between 2020 and 2025.

Anyways, that's a lot of trying to remember numbers I heard from over a year ago. I could get into some "eco friendly" label that he's pushing for so the providence has to put more effort into maintaining the longevity of a consistent eco system, but I don't remember all the facts he stated.

The funny thing is, currently the commercial fishing industry, which is also in a boom cycle, doesn't generate near the income for the providence as the recreational side does. Yet their government is doing nothing about it. Kind of interesting....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The commercial guys recently upsized their net sizes to catch bigger fish as well. The local rec fishermen are pissed.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they don't figure it out I would guess that there won't be a recreational fishing industry in the next five years.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, but it's still one of the best places to have a shot at getting something 32" or bigger.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
lakes are cyclical. it's not really realistic to think it could sustain that many big fish year, after year, after year. the commercial netting is definitely speeding up the process though. sounds like there's a big class of 18" fish right now.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The commercial guys recently upsized their net sizes to catch bigger fish as well. The local rec fishermen are pissed.

This. We were talking with the owner of smoke-n-fish (bait shop in Selkirk) this weekend and he said the commercial fisherman are specifically targeting the largest walleye in the lake right now because the market for walleye roe is very strong. IMO, the commercial guys are working themselves out of a job and ruining the fishery for everyone. enjoy it while it lasts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33