LEWT Tournament Winners BUSTED!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider me wrong! I never thought they'd chase them that hard! Good for them! The criminal tool is obviously the boat. But I wonder what the unlawful ownership of wild animals is about?

Very, very interesting. This story might curb a few folks from cheating. Seeing that 622 hooked to the police truck is quite the sight!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider me wrong! I never thought they'd chase them that hard! Good for them! The criminal tool is obviously the boat. But I wonder what the unlawful ownership of wild animals is about?

Very, very interesting. This story might curb a few folks from cheating. Seeing that 622 hooked to the police truck is quite the sight!
Ooh, unlawful ownership of live animals. Sounds like they might have had tanks of fish too??!!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member

I wonder if that was a boat thye won in a tournament.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It could be from their Fall Brawl or whatever one they didn't fail the lie detector test on last fall. But I'm guessing it was the one used during the attempted grand theft. Never even thought about them having live fish in a tank. How the heck would you be able to keep them alive if that were the case?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Same here. happy to see it.

Didn't know you could get charged with "cheating." Sunday Pinochle players at the K of C hall better be on notice! And I'm glad they found a game violation - "unlawful ownership of wild animals" - so they could take their boat, gear, and hopefully fishing privileges.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
so i am guessing they had to bring in live fish for the weigh in or face some sort of penalty for dead fish ......... if that was part of the rules how could you stuff 8lbs of lead and an assortment of fillets without killing the catch? Or did they stuff the fish right before they hauled them to the weigh in?

And I am assuming that the fish ate the weights and assorted fish fillets out in the wild naturally before they were caught has been ruled out

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And I am assuming that the fish ate the weights and assorted fish fillets out in the wild naturally before they were caught has been ruled out
The thing that I've always been wrapped around and have argued is that it's the prosecution's burden to prove without a doubt that these guys put the weights in the fish. Unless they have video, found similar weights in their boat or homes, have receipts, or one rats on the other (I think this is extremely the most likely outcome); how do you prove it if they just keep repeating that they caught the fish the way they were brought to the scales. Obviously anyone with common sense knows it was them, but you need to prove it.

I don't know how these tournaments work, if there are unwritten laws or some other form that's signed or whatever; but if you look at the LEWT rules sheet, it doesn't say a thing about stuffing fish with foreign objects. Maybe everyone else was just doing it wrong!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deposition on them may turn up the heat if they continue to deny any wrong doing. Under oath BS is a no-no.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing that I've always been wrapped around and have argued is that it's the prosecution's burden to prove without a doubt that these guys put the weights in the fish. Unless they have video, found similar weights in their boat or homes, have receipts, or one rats on the other (I think this is extremely the most likely outcome); how do you prove it if they just keep repeating that they caught the fish the way they were brought to the scales. Obviously anyone with common sense knows it was them, but you need to prove it.

I don't know how these tournaments work, if there are unwritten laws or some other form that's signed or whatever; but if you look at the LEWT rules sheet, it doesn't say a thing about stuffing fish with foreign objects. Maybe everyone else was just doing it wrong!
haven't fished a tournament for years but the rules usually state you are not allowed to go to shore except for true emergency and not allowed to have contact with other boats on water except patrol boat so once caught the fish are in your LiveWell and in your possession from catch to weigh in or you cheated in some other fashion. So no one else could have legally handled the fish until you bring to weigh in if following the rules.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could honestly say beyond a shadow of a doubt that those boys stuffed weights in those fish. A lawyer would have to bring some evidence that a fish could somehow survive someone else doing it. No, for me the evidence is enough to convict.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never underestimate the capabilities of nature.
A76AEEC6-DB02-403C-8C3F-DD0660696BF7.jpeg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It could be from their Fall Brawl or whatever one they didn't fail the lie detector test on last fall. But I'm guessing it was the one used during the attempted grand theft. Never even thought about them having live fish in a tank. How the heck would you be able to keep them alive if that were the case?

FLW Christianson had a tank and nobody was able to put a finger on him. I knew many lakehome owners that had a tank aka wire basket at the end of a dock. Each state is different i realize that.

I heard they had some type of tool that they forced the weights down. I thought that was the illegal tool.

Bottom line is that if they dont have priors --- imo they will get off with something light.

How much cheating goes on ---- The cop who was the tournament director listen to his podcast the week before the tourney. Sure he was talking bout fall brawl (which he also runs). He mentions the amount of cheating that goes on. Some lawyer will have fun with that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 1
Top Bottom