looking for utv

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a new to me utv/side by side. What's everyone's opinion? From what I've seen they're all pretty loud and vibrate a lot. But have not test drove them all. I don't need anything to go bahaing on trails but would like something that doesnt rattle your teeth out or make you go deaf. Want to use mostly at lake and use around the house so want the dump box. I test drove a mule, teryx, honda, and an odes dominator. With honda being the best and odes the worst. Have a friend that has a prowler and one that has a Polaris and they said they are loud and vibrate as well. Next up I'm going to look at a can am and see what they're like but the reviews are that say the cabs get pretty hot. What's everyone else have? Would eventually like to get tracks as well. Let the conversation begin.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
2017 Honda pioneer 1000 here. Main reason for purchasing it was to keep the weeds controlled on the wife's crp. Bought a Honda based on recommendations from my Brother in law (Farmer). He has had Hondas on his farm for most of his life. He mentions mostly dependability and reliability as its two most important qualities. Along with that comes a price however.

Shaft drive. Quiet. No vibrations. Comfortable. Love the transmission. Never on the brakes to slow down; downshifts great when you let off the gas. Dual clutch and paddle shift if you want/need that.

Going in for a couple fixes this week. The heat coming into the cab from the motor and the heating up of the dual clutch components if driving in low gear a lot (spaying crp/rock climbing). Both recommended fixes (not recalls, so they say) and all on Hondas tab.

Adding a street legal kit so i can run it on the roads here in the city.

Put a winch and 6 foot snow plow on it and pushed some heavy wet snow with it; without chains to my surprise.

The honda comes pretty much stripped. Adding accessories gets pretty expensive.

Other than weed spraying and moving snow we have done some trail riding with it. Love everything about it other than of course the price. But like stated above, there are things that come with a price.

And good luck finding a used one. They get 'em in once in a while. And i did watch for used ones before i bought new. There one day and gone the next...on the one i was watching for.

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't overlook Yamaha, I have an 09 rhino and like it, little smaller and lighter then the rest. Check out the new Viking.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a Japanese brand. Will always make parts for those so you can own it forever without worrying. Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki are all great machines.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get an older Ford ranger pickup and oversize tires, take doors off, and your good to go or a jeep CJ with trailer for work.

GSP22366

We have Polaris Ranger 900 with tracks, winch, and a plow. Lots of good choice out there, power stearing is a must if you are planning on tracks in the future. Tracks are loud and vibrate- but oh my they change winter.
Opening glass windshield with a wiper is one change we'd like to make for cooler summer use and better winter use with the tracks.

Last edited:

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have any desire to have a cab whatsoever, do it right away. I bought a plane jane right off the bat with intentions of putting a cab on it down the road. After pricing the parts and the time to install it, I already know that is not gonna happen.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hondas are well built, I have heard there cab system isn't very good though and you still get full of snow inside. Yamaha Viking is another good one. I have honestly been thing very hard about going the small truck, suv or jeep route. Buy used vehicle for around $10000 tracks range from 7000-10000 for vehicles. Money ahead and I can take the tracks off after ice fishing and use it as a scouting, work run errand vehicle

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the tacked small vehicle option.
Guy up in Canada builds the track kits for these Ford escapes, uses just plain 121 snowmobile tracks and puts them on little vehicles like this.
Reliable, good heater heck air if you need it and heated leather seats are nice on those cold days.
And you can take the tracks off and use it all year long. $8500 into the entire outfit.
I do see some really nice outfits on Winnipeg, but $30+K for a crew cab tracked up toy is kind of crazy. Talked to one guy that had 45K into his UTV, hollay!

winnipeg escape 1.jpg

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a 12 Polaris Ranger and loved it but it was an 800 and got warm in the cab in the summer. Put a blanket in between the seat and backrest and that fixed alot of it. Definitely go power steering. We sold our Ranger to my daughter and her husband and they like it as well. We bought a Polaris General in 17 and like it alot. Better ride and better seat but power steering isn't as good. Goes like a bat out of hell too. Way too fast for this hombre!
For an all around machine i would go back to a Ranger in 900 or 1,000 cc as their motor sits farther back and aren't as warm. Good machines and take a lot of abuse. All makers have good points and bad and all have good machines and lemons. Test drive as many as you can and if buying used don't be in a rush. There are good ones out there you just have to keep your eyes and ears open and put some feelers out there to your friends in different areas.
Don't buy one that was on a ranch. Ranchers buy equipment to use and use them they do!

Mizzou21

Previously owned a 15 Yamaha Viking 700 and a 17 Polaris Ranger XP 900. Both had power steering, which is a must imo. Had tracks on both machines and they worked well and had plenty of power to run them, the Polaris obviously having a bit more in the 900. They both had some cab noise, and the Yamaha had more vibration than the Polaris. The Viking has supposedly improved the vibration in the newer models, but it was a bit annoying and hard to carry on a conversation in my 15. I did like the fact that the Viking had 3 individual seats in their models which made it way more comfortable traveling across the ice with 3 adults vs the Polaris. I did have a cab and heat on the Polaris, and the heater worked awesome, almost smoked you out at times. I love the amount of accessories available for Polaris, seems to be way more options than other brands. If i had to choose between Yamaha and Polaris based on my experience, I would go with Polaris. I do plan to buy another one late this fall, and will either go with a new Polaris 1000 or Can Am Defender HD 10. These things are like Ford, Chevy, and Dodge when it comes to trucks, comes down to personal preference and everyones opinion on wants and needs differs. Great to have so many choices as a consumer. Good luck on your search!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Polaris ranger 900 with hard cab isn't that loud putzing around under 20. 40mph down the road you can still talk but you might have to speak up. Mine doesn't have the winter kit or dust kit, which are just pieces of foam to cut down drafts and dust. The only time drafts bother in the winter is when its below zero and you drive full speed into the wind. Not unbearable, but noticeable. No snow in the cab with tracks but the doors could seal up better, I think that is where ost of dust comes from. Get the tip out windshield with wiper, its awesome to flip it up in the summer and no it won't break if you have it tipped up and drive like a bat out of hell over rough ground.

Dads 1000 Polaris ranger has the draft and noise kit. His is way quieter than my 900 but for some reason his gets dustier on gravel roads. I think his doors need adjusting. He wants to trade it off on a new one with heat and AC that is supposed to have a better cab that seals up better and keeps the dust out.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a 2007 mule 3010 in, well,2007. Not fast nor pretty but I have run the hell out of it with 6 foot blade and have never had a problem with it. Build a cab from plywood and plexiglass. Ain't the best but not bad. I don't take it to town, tho.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking into all this for past few months as well. So far there is no clear winner. Traditional ATV, SxS, Jap Mini Truck, Small 4x4 jeep...

The small 4x4 are tempting however not sure there is a offroad capable one that weighs under 3500 lbs. Thats about 1 ton heavier than a SxS.

Mini Trucks have some benefits as well, however finding a service/shop to work on them is difficult, so likely have to cover it all yourself. Also, a bit worried about taking a hit on resale.

Wish there was a clear choice.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the tacked small vehicle option.
Guy up in Canada builds the track kits for these Ford escapes, uses just plain 121 snowmobile tracks and puts them on little vehicles like this.
Reliable, good heater heck air if you need it and heated leather seats are nice on those cold days.
And you can take the tracks off and use it all year long. $8500 into the entire outfit.
I do see some really nice outfits on Winnipeg, but $30+K for a crew cab tracked up toy is kind of crazy. Talked to one guy that had 45K into his UTV, hollay!

48364120_1943886705693503_7640583593646882816_o.jpg

mind sharing how much the tracks were? and were the guy is located?.. Thanks

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54