Measure 2: Marijuana Legalization

Will you support the legalization of high THC cannabis in ND?

• Yes

Votes: 71 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 54 36.5%
  • Don't care... Hand me another beer!

Votes: 23 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard for me to believe smoking weed doesn’t cause lung damage, it’s just not a statistic……yet.
For sure, I mentioned in one of my earlier replies that hot, dry air isn’t great for the lungs. However, we currently have a substance legal that at best, will have equal negative effects to the lungs, but is known to do much worse due to tar and other added chemicals. So if we were to use that as a determining factor in its legality, we would have to outlaw smoking tobacco.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
One can also make the argument that legalizing would decrease the amount of illegal importing. There wasn’t much need for moonshiners after prohibition ended. Mom and pop shops hurt when Walmart comes to town. You get what I’m saying, less people looking for illegal cannabis, less people selling it.

Less small time drug dealers, less street drugs available to kids. And, if the kids are able to get their hands on legally obtained cannabis (remember, these kids would be getting cannabis either way) at least we would know it’s regulated and “safe”. No lacing with other drugs. No accidental fentanyl overdoses.

I just keep going back to the point of, having cannabis illegal only hurts those who are willing to do things the right way. Those willing to do illegal stuff are the ones doing it as we speak.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope. My argument is more pragmatic than based on general principles. I would argue the benefits of legalized alcohol overall outweigh the negatives. My argument is that the negatives would outweigh the positives with legalized recreational marijuana.
I would like to hear what the benefits of alcohol are. I can’t think of one.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will legalizing it change employment drug testing?
The way it's written it essentially leaves it up to the company to continue with a "Zero Tolerance Policy" if they so desire. It seems it'll be up to each business individually how they want to handle it.

I'm with Davey. ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING how our legislature handled the medical MJ measure voted in by ND citizens. I could vote yes for that reason alone. Enough of the "good 'ol boys club" doing whatever they want.

If it can happen with medical MJ, just wait until it happens to a measure you feel passionate about and the legislature decides it "knows better than voters". That's not how it's supposed to work.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way it's written it essentially leaves it up to the company to continue with a "Zero Tolerance Policy" if they so desire. It seems it'll be up to each business individually how they want to handle it.

I'm with Davey. ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING how our legislature handled the medical MJ measure voted in by ND citizens. I could vote yes for that reason alone. Enough of the "good 'ol boys club" doing whatever they want.

If it can happen with medical MJ, just wait until it happens to a measure you feel passionate about and the legislature decides it "knows better than voters". That's not how it's supposed to work.

If this passes , i wonder if they will do the same thing with self grow 3 plants? They don't think about people they think about $$$$. I don't know how it can even be legal the way they re-worded the medical bill after the fact.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because the patients who voted in favor of medical didn't end up with anything close to what they voted for. If recreational passes, you can thank the rinos that changed the intent of that measure.
That is absolutely correct. Our legislature handled this very, very poorly.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The issue is, currently if someone gets a medical card, they are unable to purchase or own firearms. In the measure there is a section that maintains firearm rights to those who use cannabis lawfully.

That is a FEDERAL issue, not a state issue or law. I suspect it is not very fun being in conflict with federal law on something like this.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a FEDERAL issue, not a state issue or law. I suspect it is not very fun being in conflict with federal law on something like this.
Correct, however , getting a medical card puts you on a registry which would be flagged on a background check. I’m not sure of many other widely used “medicines” that have that consequence.

The measure in place has verbiage to specifically protect firearm purchasing and ownership within the state. Basically it’s treated like alcohol. You get carded to make sure you are legal, but not permanent recording of your purchases.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Causes laziness. Well, blow me down, never would have thought that.

But did not help me with the ladies (due to this here laziness) like old mill did. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37