Montana Sheep Hunt!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, dish rag... maybe we need a new feature where we can rename a member if enough persons do it...

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the advice! I guess we were planning on going in at James Kipp off of 191. Does that sound like a bad idea to you? We aren't planning on going back and forth everyday just going up once and then beaching and camping up river. Just figured that one would be easy to get to with camper and boat. Just a little farther to get to where we wanna hunt but like said not going back and forth. Open to other ideas as we have never been to this area. thanks

Your idea is not bad at all. Just a heads up about 10 miles up stream of the Fred the river depending on flows can get sckechy in spots along with patches of private land on the south side that you can't camp on. I assume you read the thru the rules regarding motorboat operations on the wild and scenic part of the river. Two calf, cow island, power plant are nice places to set up camp. The positive about your plan is if you don't see sheep from camp you head back down to the Fred and take the roads on either side of the river and cover more ground. Lower two calf road was closed at one time this summer but the north side roads are in good shape.

I know now you are traveling along way but if you are flexible and you are not doing a solo hunt. I would take two vehicles drop one off at James Kipp and take your boat around thru Winifred and put in at either the Judith or the ferry. Then float hunt back to the Fred. Then shuffle stuff back around by highway or Knox Ridge Road, yeah that sucks but rivers don't flow in a circle. I have never used and don't know if they still do it, but an operation at one time out of Fort Benton did provide shuttle services along various points of the river. I always see sheep on both sides of the river between the ferry and cow island. My brother harvested a sweet ram on the north side a few years back. Have a great time.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your idea is not bad at all. Just a heads up about 10 miles up stream of the Fred the river depending on flows can get sckechy in spots along with patches of private land on the south side that you can't camp on. I assume you read the thru the rules regarding motorboat operations on the wild and scenic part of the river. Two calf, cow island, power plant are nice places to set up camp. The positive about your plan is if you don't see sheep from camp you head back down to the Fred and take the roads on either side of the river and cover more ground. Lower two calf road was closed at one time this summer but the north side roads are in good shape.

I know now you are traveling along way but if you are flexible and you are not doing a solo hunt. I would take two vehicles drop one off at James Kipp and take your boat around thru Winifred and put in at either the Judith or the ferry. Then float hunt back to the Fred. Then shuffle stuff back around by highway or Knox Ridge Road, yeah that sucks but rivers don't flow in a circle. I have never used and don't know if they still do it, but an operation at one time out of Fort Benton did provide shuttle services along various points of the river. I always see sheep on both sides of the river between the ferry and cow island. My brother harvested a sweet ram on the north side a few years back. Have a great time.

5:25 you should have been fracing and not on Nodak

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. Busted again goofing off while on the clock. Good to hear from ya fracman.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thanks again for the info. We will be hunting the north side of the river. When you say sckechy i assume you mean some rapids? is there much for rocks in there or is it mostly muddy and sandy? My only real concern is hitting something in our fiberglass boat.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks again for the info. We will be hunting the north side of the river. When you say sckechy i assume you mean some rapids? is there much for rocks in there or is it mostly muddy and sandy? My only real concern is hitting something in our fiberglass boat.

gravel and sand bars along with a few islands that make reading which side the main chanel runs. No big Rapids. The big rocks and you should see them start just past wood hawk camp ground where the river turns and runs north for a ways. Make sure you grab a CMR Map from the office just south of the James Kipp campground and a blm map in Malta. Just in case!!

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ended up getting it done the first day. Will get better pics and the story in a day or two need to get caught up at work. Totally worth it tho was a blast exploring new territory and chasing a new spices.

FullSizeRender.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations!!! I await the story and more pics with GREAT anticipation!!!!

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
Well done coyote killer. In all seriousness did u get a chance to eat some meat? How was it?

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good job!!!! Sounds like you enjoyed the area. Hopefully you made it over to the elk viewing area.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
GOOD GOOD GOOD!!!!!!!!! Cant wait for more pic and the story. That ewe looks huge, a lot bigger than I thought.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34