Sak Mother’s Day Walleye & Bass

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Well, three of us got the go-ahead, from our wives, to fish on Mother’s Day. We put in at the Newtown Marina. The water temp in that area was 46 degrees. We checked a few spots, as we worked our way west, toward warmer water. We tried a gravel shoreline once we found 52 degrees, but no luck, even though we were marking a few. We moved further west until we found 58 degree water, where we worked another gravel shoreline. No luck, again.

We finally found 60 degree water out by Little Beaver Creek Bay. We ended up having some luck in this area. We spot locked the boat in 11-13 fow and pitched jigs toward shore. We ended up catching a dozen walleye, and probably close to 100 white bass, plus a few pike. Some of the white bass were the biggest I have ever seen in Sakakawea before.

The water was quite dirty. Around a foot of visibility.

We caught them on jig/minnow as well as jig/fluke.

I don’t know if it is because it is the beginning of the boat fishing season, or what, but we had a blast catching those big white bass. The occasional walleye helped as well.

Get out there folks. I expect things to be going pretty good by next weekend.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got out on Audubon this morning about 9...fished until 2. Found water temps anywhere from 54 to 58 depending on the bay I was in. Only got pike to bite, but was nice just to shake off the rust. Hopefully the eyeballs will turn on this weekend! Good fishing gents...open water finally here!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, three of us got the go-ahead, from our wives, to fish on Mother’s Day. We put in at the Newtown Marina. The water temp in that area was 46 degrees. We checked a few spots, as we worked our way west, toward warmer water. We tried a gravel shoreline once we found 52 degrees, but no luck, even though we were marking a few. We moved further west until we found 58 degree water, where we worked another gravel shoreline. No luck, again.

We finally found 60 degree water out by Little Beaver Creek Bay. We ended up having some luck in this area. We spot locked the boat in 11-13 fow and pitched jigs toward shore. We ended up catching a dozen walleye, and probably close to 100 white bass, plus a few pike. Some of the white bass were the biggest I have ever seen in Sakakawea before.

The water was quite dirty. Around a foot of visibility.

We caught them on jig/minnow as well as jig/fluke.

I don’t know if it is because it is the beginning of the boat fishing season, or what, but we had a blast catching those big white bass. The occasional walleye helped as well.

Get out there folks. I expect things to be going pretty good by next weekend.
Hell of a time for a Countdown Rapala...I'm telling you man...They sink on a horizontal plane and a smear of PowerBait Paste in the lip divot seems to cause (IME) a wobble on the pause. The vid doesn't show any action on the fall but the rest supports my recommendation in lieu of a jig. They also cast like bullets. When HuskyJerks aren't the ticket in the Tailrace:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also when snags are problematic; hooks can be removed and replaced with appropriate deals.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell of a time for a Countdown Rapala...I'm telling you man...They sink on a horizontal plane and a smear of PowerBait Paste in the lip divot seems to cause (IME) a wobble on the pause. The vid doesn't show any action on the fall but the rest supports my recommendation in lieu of a jig. They also cast like bullets. When HuskyJerks aren't the ticket in the Tailrace:

I put one on ice fishing back in the 90's and it worked.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good report V - thank you! Took today off (Monday), heading to Audubon shortly...will provide a report tonight.
Never saw a report! Does that mean that things were slow? Been up there more recently? If so, how was the action? Thanks

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never saw a report! Does that mean that things were slow? Been up there more recently? If so, how was the action? Thanks
Hey Guy - I fished Audubon last Monday and Friday. Water temps were much warmer Monday...54 to 58. Friday temps had fallen to 49 to 52. Fishing was very slow, caught one nice 20 inch Friday - otherwise all pike. Hopefully with warmer stable temps this week, the bite will pick up!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84