ND ANS threat

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just with a quick check I can see 1,600 mallards banded in MN shot in ND many out in Sak country. Another 600 honkers and generally a few dozen or more of every other duck species not to mention I'll pretty well guarantee if I flip it around and look for ducks banded in North Dakota shot in Minnesota it's going to light up like a Christmas tree.
That’s interesting as I didn’t know there was that big of a east to west molt migration. I’ve shot honkers from white earth res in eastern nodak but it sounds like from your research they fly much further.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the honkers especially there's tend to come over here during some point in their life. Oddly the band data doesn't appear to show much of a reverse Trend although that likely has more to do with the fact that we barely band any. Some birds have a wicked east-to-west flight pattern with swans being the king of that group because when they leave here they go almost due east and end up over in the Chesapeake Bay area. Here's a map of 500 of the 40,000 some odd Mallards that have been banded in North Dakota and recovered over the years to give you a general dispersion pattern of the Ducks.

Screenshot_20180828-212732.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you read all of the reports stating that birds aren’t spreading the zebra mussels. It’s boats.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is going to get it until the floor of our lakes are covered in shells.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nationwide, EVERY dollar and/or man hour spent on 'slowing the spread' should be instead thrown into a collective pot focused on eradicating them.

Buy some science and chemistry. LOTS of science and chemistry. Thumbs Up

After reading up a bit on them years back, I accepted that the spread can not be stopped. We're animals that travel too, though our 'feathers' guilty of harboring ANS are our bait buckets, live wells, boat hulls, and what I believe to be the most underestimated threat, sealed hull kayaks and the like.

Have kayak, will travel, to EVERY stream or river, pond or lake, big or small.

Last edited:

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remm -

I purchased everything but Bow Tag in April...received my Antelope tag already but no bow tag as of today at 1:00...

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remm -

I purchased everything but Bow Tag in April...received my Antelope tag already but no bow tag as of today at 1:00...

Huh, guess I don't have an answer for you, that was the only thing I could think of. Either that or since you got an antelope tag they decided you couldn't have any other tags since nobody should get 2 tags so more people can hunt:;:muahaha

Didn't ol svnmg have some sort of hairbrained ass idea to introduce something to eat the zebra mussels??

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Having traveled through and spent some time in 13 states and 3 Canadian Prairie Provinces this year I can assure you that I wish I sere in the sign and billboard business. There are signs, billboards, mandatory check stations in many sates and provinces, but not all. And lots of TV and radio blurbs, informational citizen seminars, even Pandora Info spots from states all over about the ANS situations. Lots of educational stuff anyway.
Probably inevitable, but probably too little too late, not counting the only very recent interest much showed by far too many outdoorspeople. I think we were slow to the prevention draw on this one.

In most ways the Zebra and Quagga mussel damage both to human pocketbooks and lake environments is really substantial, though some do point out that it is not all bad and in some places its environmentally minimal. Some places and amateur biologists even claim that fishing is no worse, or has actually maybe improved a bit, though those places and reports seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15