Need to get water pump replaced on outboard

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Debating whether to try and replace myself or take it in and have the work done. Friend changed his and said the hardest part was getting the shift linkage correct (three tries). What information doth the collective wisdom hold? If take it in who is the best bet near Minot? I am sure some of the rest of you have items to check off before soft water season arrives. BTW Black Motor

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very easy to do, tons and tons of youtube videos to walk you through doing one on about every make and model of outboard.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Super easy. It will take about 2.5 hours the first time you do it and about 30 minutes every time after that.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
one of the main things to avoid is moving/turning anything after you pull the lower unit. Much easier to put back when it goes in the same way it came out.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
one of the main things to avoid is moving/turning anything after you pull the lower unit. Much easier to put back when it goes in the same way it came out.
I agree, makes life much easier. It is a bit hard to accomplish the job with out turning the prop or drive shaft but it's doable

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, I knew the brain trust here would have the answer for this.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, makes life much easier. It is a bit hard to accomplish the job with out turning the prop or drive shaft but it's doable

If it's in neutral it doesn't matter.
I have an f150 yammy and have done it a couple times, put it in gear before disassemble and never had any issues going together either time and i never worried about whether or not the prop turned, maybe Mercs are a bit different.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it's in neutral it doesn't matter.

Are you sure about neutral? I've done a couple of Mercs and was always recommended to be in gear. I had a difficult time getting it back together on the one I had in neutral. Don't claim to be an expert but I would double check the neutral idea.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a 2002 mercury, it is easier to put it in reverse before pulling the lower unit. Otherwise you have wiggle lower unit when sliding it back into place, increasing the risk of the plastic coupling not aligning between the pump housing and power head.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38