never say elk again

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do not own any land anymore and what little i had i gave to the kids.

However, the kid has some and i do have friends that i have been good to them and then them to me.
Favours on my part for them and they all return it. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be my 6th time elk hunting. 2nd with a bow. 1 of those 6 I didn’t have the tag and was just along for the ride. I have found a deep respect for the elk and have really been bitten by the bug of chasing them with a bow. BBJ nailed it. That bugle coming at you is an adrenaline rush to be sure.
Bow and gun hunted elk many years out in Montana South of Hamilton.
One thing to remember when an elk is raking a tree or shrub, his eyes are closed while he is raking. Can give you a little advantage.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1694704705201.png

This is a heck of a Bull from N.D.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, when they bugle it does send a thrill in one's bones. And when they are within 50 yards, trashing their horns on the ground and peeing all over themselves and let out a bugle.
It's a rush i never would have thought of experiencing. Looking for a tree to hide behind just in case.
They are a big animal up close.

Walleye:
I do have a number of spots with the elk. db
Closest I have been is <15yds with a bull bugling and snot running out his nose, looking for a cow to breed. Me trying not to think that I am the cow he thinks is there also looking for a mate. Yes it does bring a chill down the spine. I think a bugling elk is one of the most thrilling calls in the wild.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw that pic earlier on the fubook and seen another dandy from up there too.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that baby has some mass.
That guy looks like the guy that owned the corn field by New Rockford. LOL ...rofl...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great for ND and he knows how to take a picture.

And thanks for all the comments. db

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hate the elk but have now got into it. The guy who shot the elk had a scorer look at it and he said it will be B&C. Then my hunting partner found what appears to be elk that will score higher at this spot, on camera and in fact a guy who said he knows elk said the one should score over 400 and may be a state record. Two others in high 300.

I do not know. Time may tell.

So, i moved my camera 3/4 mile from my main stand to another plot and found another herd of elk. Will see what comes from there before i ask them to leave. For now, 4 smaller bull elk with a bunch of cows and calves. Corn field nearby.

My hunting partner goes to Scheels and buys an elk caller.
Goes where the larger elk are and under one minute an elk comes in. Light fog but video it with real dark horns. The white tips looks like they are a light. Very bright.
8 came in with 4 the bigger ones. 3 came in at once. Comes right up. Start with horns on ground and pissing all over their body. 4 more came but unable to video as in trees. Time of the rut.

This is all new to me but i am impress.
Will post the dead elk shorty when live. Asked partner about posting what he has and will need to wait.

They are rodents in my book, still need to leave. Hate them and I think they do not care for me either.

And as in the past will not find a shed. db
Definitely not as intense: If you don't already you should take up turkey hunting. I prefer the fall as it's "less complicated"(easier). Call "gobbler to gobbler" or "hen to hen":

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
ELK! - Ha I said it, well typed it anyways :). Awesome pics and congrats to the hunters, one day I will have to go experience an elk hunt time, budget, and lack of luck drawing ND bull tag are my limiting factors. Future is looking up though and got plans for some new hunting experiences.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ELK! - Ha I said it, well typed it anyways :). Awesome pics and congrats to the hunters, one day I will have to go experience an elk hunt time, budget, and lack of luck drawing ND bull tag are my limiting factors. Future is looking up though and got plans for some new hunting experiences.
Once you start there is no quitting until your legs are gone or you cannot see anymore. I know. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84