natural defense

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of you know my discussions with the elk and game and fish in the Turtle Mt. My last visit with them was last spring when they requested to give out my name to various elk hunters and to aid them. Well i only have the 1.8 acres but do have friends that have in the fall from 200-300 elk herded up on their land.

So what the hell and i will make that decisions when and if i am requested by someone.
But i have also decided to quit calling game and fish on this as i found out my name has been brought up in their conversations in Bismarck. And they do not believe me and have no intention of listening to me or do anything about the population up there. So be it and the goal for me is to get rid of the 100 or so elk who made their home on the 1.8 acres last winter.

One of you did send a message to me to stop asking the government to help out and take care of my issue myself instead of begging them for help. I then realize what a i fool i had been.

But as of late i notice that i had four of my evergreens hit on with horns and need to do something on my own now.
Has anyone use the product call Natural Defense?

Is so, does it work?

I have about 4 acres up there in soybeans and some brassicas. Notice the beans have been heavy ate on so put a camera up today at 2:00. So far have had a cow with her twins and 3 bulls with this one the bigger on the three. Not sure on its size but i will assume for most in would be shootable.

Any thoughts of that product. As i understand it will keep the elk off a small area around the tree. Hope to keep the whitetail around.
DB

Attachments

DSC00219.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME, the chemical deterrent products are of limited effectiveness. Sunlight and rain/dew degrade them quite well. I don't really know if they would work very well on an elk. Most of these products are designed for deer. Sorry, but I think it might mess your deer up more than the elk. Have you filed a formal complaint with the governors office through the Attorney General? I think with your history you have more than enough grounds (and evidence) to seek wildlife depredation as well. Document all the damage, determine replacement costs, and submit a depredation claim. You have a right to protect your property from wildlife damage and if the gnf refuses to assist or to compensate you for the damage, then protect your property by whatever means necessary. If it were my issue, I'd write a letter to the gnf, the governor, both ND senators, the ND representative, my state senators and representatives, the attorney general, the RMEF, and whomever else I could come up with. I would include documentation of how the gnf refuses to assist with names, dates, times, copies of emails and every other correspondence I had with them. I'd be very clear that I have a right to protect my property and will do so with a rifle if necessary. I'd be very clear to state that any elk taken is not for personal use and IS NOT in violation of any game laws, it's for property protection which is my right. I would also state very clearly that after each elk that is taken, I will call the gnf, and have them come and get the carcass to do with as they see fit. The same way wolves, mtn lions, and other wildlife taken in the protection of property are processed. Ranchers can shoot anything that is harassing or damaging their livestock regardless of seasons or game laws. If a hawk, eagle, otter, wolf, or any other wild predator goes after my chickens, I have a right to protect my livestock and take it down regardless of seasons or game laws. Farmers can claim wildlife damages to crops and hay stacks and do so all the time. The gnf has even put up fences to keep wildlife out. Homeowners and landowners can claim damages from beaver dams causing flooding. The precedent for property protection and/or compensation from wildlife damage is WELL DOCUMENTED. Of course you will have to decide if the fight is worth it. Depredation payment or property protection. Make them choose. Good Luck!!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of you know my discussions with the elk and game and fish in the Turtle Mt. My last visit with them was last spring when they requested to give out my name to various elk hunters and to aid them. Well i only have the 1.8 acres but do have friends that have in the fall from 200-300 elk herded up on their land.

So what the hell and i will make that decisions when and if i am requested by someone.
But i have also decided to quit calling game and fish on this as i found out my name has been brought up in their conversations in Bismarck. And they do not believe me and have no intention of listening to me or do anything about the population up there. So be it and the goal for me is to get rid of the 100 or so elk who made their home on the 1.8 acres last winter.

One of you did send a message to me to stop asking the government to help out and take care of my issue myself instead of begging them for help. I then realize what a i fool i had been.

But as of late i notice that i had four of my evergreens hit on with horns and need to do something on my own now.
Has anyone use the product call Natural Defense?

Is so, does it work?

I have about 4 acres up there in soybeans and some brassicas. Notice the beans have been heavy ate on so put a camera up today at 2:00. So far have had a cow with her twins and 3 bulls with this one the bigger on the three. Not sure on its size but i will assume for most in would be shootable.

Any thoughts of that product. As i understand it will keep the elk off a small area around the tree. Hope to keep the whitetail around.
DB

Your at it again, when you posted about the Elk last yr I mentioned inviting some hunter up to help you out and you did not. Now your complaining again. Invite a few hunters up and let them help you out. If you don't you have only yourself to blame.

I would love to see 100 plus Elk on 1.8 acres, they would be laying on each other.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1less dog:

There you go again, telling me to open my 1.8 acres up and then you assume i have not help anyone out to harvest an elk up there.
All the land around my 1.8 acres is posted and i cannot even hunt on it but there is land to hunt on not too far away. Hell, the relatives up there will not let each other hunt on their land.
i have gotten permission from certain landowners to bring a hunter or two up there. For the most part, the elk spend their days in Canada and come down the middle of the night and are back in Canada before daybreak. There are many issues here. Land next to Canada is one. That picture is on the border line.

The locals up there are not too friendly to outsiders and more than once they have told me in time, they will get rid of me and are trying their best at it. But i still hang around and it does piss them off.

It will take more than the handful of licenses given out by game and fish or shooting an elk or two on my 1.8 acres to solve my problem. IMHO it will take the harvest of a few thousand elk.
The 100 plus elk last winter spent their time on my land and on the neighbors next to me. A ton of crab but no horns were left.

So, i will welcome another idea from you. db

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB, sound like you have no choice.
Quit spending money on foodplots and just let the property go back to what 8t should be.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
bucks:

Yes, move or game and fish decide they have a problem.
Well, i am not moving and game and fish lives in their own world.

KDM thanks for your input. It was appreciated. Will try the natural defense and have other things to try. But will not ask then for any monies. The wife and i have got this far without those funds.

Wife and son have both told me to quit talking to game and fish as it only leads to problems and now, they know your name. It appears i have visited also on this site too much on this topic.

In 1995 my brother and I decided, after many years, to quit chasing the deer and have them come to us with plots and bait.
Called game and fish to make sure it was legal. The biologist in Bismarck said let me check and came back and said fine. He stated you might have heard all the laughing. No, but why. He stated this was the biggest joke they have heard. Stated the deer will eat all the feed and you will not even see one. Used the word stupid on me. I said nothing back as i got my answer.

Take a young kid with no common sense, put a badge on his chest and a gun on his hip. Give him some book learning, a desk and a computer to play on all day and this is what one gets. We need the wardens, i just hope i never meet one in the rest of my life.

Thanks for the input and will go back to my private world as it has less issues. But i believe, in my heart, game and fish one day will have a huge problem and will not turn to the ND hunter for solution or help but come up with their own solution. db

- - - Updated - - -

Petras:

Sent message but not sure if you got.
Did visit with one neighbor tonight who said fine depending on gratis tags next year.
Will work on this. Have others with one right next to border which has produce some fine horns. He had close to 300 elk in his pasture last year. db

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dig a deep hole with an excavator, then slowly fill it up with elk and dirt. Keep a loader tractor handy. Try not to go to jail.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
1.8 acres? That's an approach around here :D

Gonna be mighty hard to manage anything with so little area especially if you and the neighbors aren't on the same page. I'm guessing the neighbors have enough land for gratis tags so they want the elk around. I'd think about relocating if I were you.........or buy em out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I want to know is what is your preferred solution? You say there's a 100 elk on your property at night, but they go back to CANADA before daylight most of the time. Sounds to me like you want some kind of a magical fence that keeps elk off of your 1.8 acres, but anything that will do that will also keep the deer away.

The only "practical" solution I can think of would be to fence your place with something that extends from ~2 ft above the ground up to a height of 8 ft. That way the deer (including bucks) should be able to wiggle under the fence but the elk would have a tougher time (especially the big bulls) in getting under the fence.

Are you suggesting the NDGF should help you design and build such a fence?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84