Texas Aoudad

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been trying to plan a Texas Aoudad hunt for the last few months, there are so many outfitters and varying prices that it was hard to decide who to go with for an outfitter. I had contacted Hosted Hunts and talked to a good guy that really helped sort things out and was about to pull the trigger on an outfitter he had been to 2-3 times and could describe everything to me so I knew what I was getting into and that the hunt style fit what I wanted to get out of the hunt. Well then I found out our Safari Club International Red River Valley Chapter had one coming up on live auction for out banquet that was held this past weekend so I bid on it and got the hunt, saved $2,000 from what I was looking at paying.
I still need to contact the outfitter and get the whole lowdown and schedule the dates. I am hoping to plan for about February 2025. Is there anyone that has done one of these hunts? Is there any advice or things I should be thinking about or asking? Current plan is to use my 7mm Rem Mag, upgrade my scope which is on the docket anyways and currently looking at options, currently running Berger Hybrid Hunter 168gr but can work up something else if need be for any reason as I'm not necessarily locked into those.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never hunted but heard they are tough keep shooting till down and they live in some rough country. Good luck take alot of pictures

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never hunted but heard they are tough keep shooting till down and they live in some rough country. Good luck take alot of pictures
Yeah I have heard that their will to live is very high. It's the only darn sheep hunt I can afford to do, besides the ND Bighorn tag that I'm going to win this year ...muahaha... probably not.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been trying to plan a Texas Aoudad hunt for the last few months, there are so many outfitters and varying prices that it was hard to decide who to go with for an outfitter. I had contacted Hosted Hunts and talked to a good guy that really helped sort things out and was about to pull the trigger on an outfitter he had been to 2-3 times and could describe everything to me so I knew what I was getting into and that the hunt style fit what I wanted to get out of the hunt. Well then I found out our Safari Club International Red River Valley Chapter had one coming up on live auction for out banquet that was held this past weekend so I bid on it and got the hunt, saved $2,000 from what I was looking at paying.
I still need to contact the outfitter and get the whole lowdown and schedule the dates. I am hoping to plan for about February 2025. Is there anyone that has done one of these hunts? Is there any advice or things I should be thinking about or asking? Current plan is to use my 7mm Rem Mag, upgrade my scope which is on the docket anyways and currently looking at options, currently running Berger Hybrid Hunter 168gr but can work up something else if need be for any reason as I'm not necessarily locked into those.
Congrats on winning this. I was at the SCI banquet and there were some good deals to be had.

bigsky2

Hunting aoudad in TX can be anything from high fence over feeders to a true sheep type hunt in the mountains. I'd say the hunt can be what you make it. I did a "semi-guided" hunt in west Texas last year where they showed us around for a few hours and then turned us loose. You won't need to change anything with your rifle. I get the appeal of going to TX in the winter, but you might want to consider going in October. That's when the rut is. February would be good as well but October would be easier for find the big rams.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on winning this. I was at the SCI banquet and there were some good deals to be had.
Then you saw me running around or working the pluck a goose game. I'm glad I got this hunt at the price I did but it would have been nice to see some of the trips go a little higher, there were a lot that barely made it to what we owed for the ones that were not 100% donation.
Thank you for coming and supporting us. If you or anyone else you know that attended have any critiques on what you think we can improve on would you mind sending them to me in a PM.

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting aoudad in TX can be anything from high fence over feeders to a true sheep type hunt in the mountains. I'd say the hunt can be what you make it. I did a "semi-guided" hunt in west Texas last year where they showed us around for a few hours and then turned us loose. You won't need to change anything with your rifle. I get the appeal of going to TX in the winter, but you might want to consider going in October. That's when the rut is. February would be good as well but October would be easier for find the big rams.
I have considered October but sometimes that is a very busy work time for me in the construction industry plus that is when I plan out my mule deer trip and hoping to make it 2 trips.
I figure this will be a chance to get my feet wet and I can always expand from there.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Then you saw me running around or working the pluck a goose game. I'm glad I got this hunt at the price I did but it would have been nice to see some of the trips go a little higher, there were a lot that barely made it to what we owed for the ones that were not 100% donation.
Thank you for coming and supporting us. If you or anyone else you know that attended have any critiques on what you think we can improve on would you mind sending them to me in a PM.
You should let us know when they will be have there next banquet. Would be a fun evening.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should let us know when they will be have there next banquet. Would be a fun evening.
Yeah I will make sure I do. For you west ND guys there is a chapter being started out there as well, I believe it is being called the rough riders. I have been very happy being a part of this chapter since it started. Good group of people, all different types of backgrounds, lots of different knowledge. I have learned a lot about things I never knew and things I thought I knew. We are always hoping to gain more members so if anyone has any interest in getting involved let me know, even just a little help goes a long ways. Such as our banquet there we had lots of volunteer help from the Fargo North Trap Team kids and parents

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You won't break the bank with Fusion 162's. Both 150's and 162's group within a dime @100 from my old 77. They aren't interchangeable beyond 100 IME as POI has a 4in difference because of sorcery and witchcraft.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
@luvcatchingbass
Will send you a PM for a buddy of mine here in Payson, that has hunted Aoudad a couple times in Texas.
The ranches he hunted on were thousands of acres and it was NOT a shoot over feed hunt either.
Great guy and give him a call.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
This years banquet was an improvement over last years. I purchased a few trips last year. I had purchased a table for Saturday and my group really had a great time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84