shed hunting 2024

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went for my first walk on Sunday. About 3 hours or 5 miles. Still to soon as snow in trees somewhat. But found a five point that had its eye horn saw off, a turtle shell and a dust cover for a scope on land that i have posted. Deer paths were solid dropping from the deer. Will go back in a few days or when snow melts off.

In about a month will head up to Sask. Canada. Do not plan to go to northern Sask but to center Sask where mule deer live. Son made a relationship with a rancher up there last year who runs 800 stock cows to hunt on his land. We will be the first to get permission to walk his land so am excited except it will be mule deer and not whitetail for the most part. Son was there last year and came back with PU loan of sheds. Its helps to stop and talk as most people are looking for companionship or someone to talk to.
This year will be without our main shed finder as his yellow lab is no longer with us. He will be missed and the excitement he brought as he was into it big time. db

It appears horn was saw off a skull, so someone lost a part of his rattling horns.

20240225_145356[1].jpg

Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats on the shed find. Went out the weekend before last, but didn't find a darn thing, but it sure felt good to get out and walk for several hours. And good luck up in "Oh Canada". Maybe you will run into Quickdick McDick. If you have never watched his Youtube clips, you gotta watch some. That man guys makes alot of sense against Trudeau's Carbon Tax crap.

I totally get the frustration when you find stuff on posted land when no one asked for permission.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
1000000444.jpg
1000000443.jpg
1000000444.jpg
1000000443.jpg
I've found 8 so far.. 2 matched sets.

No doubt these 2 deer are genetically related.
So the one still has blood on it , I watched a buck one year lose them both in a matter of minutes and the springer I had with me went nuts on them..

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
nice horns with the color and not sure why one can so excited about the fine. it becomes a treasure for sure. db

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched one rape a P-dog last week, he had dropped one side.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice horns with the color and not sure why one can so excited about the fine. it becomes a treasure for sure. db
Hey DB. Kinda neet.
I found the bigger set on Jan 7th. Bout 150 yards off a highway in a sugarbeet field.
Other set 2 weeks later same field and all 4 were within 50 yards apart.

2nd pic, look at the bases and a few inches above them.
Zero doubt related.

Tinesdown

Had to post on this one tonight been walking hard very few antlers to be had deer are 3.5 year old bucks so are holding as of last 10 days ago mostly 4×4, deer in my spots so kinda want to find but wont make get me real excited

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^
Sorry Guy, I shouldn't be such a dick about things. My apologies.
I knew what you meant. Isn't it usually in early March when they in general drop their antlers? I remember other years that some bucks were losing their antlers right after the 1st of the year.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother claims that he shot a buck several years ago that had both sets of antlers but when he got to it one side had fallen off. That had to have been during the November rifle season.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's called ground shrinkage.
I shot a nice buck that I kicked up along the edge of a cattail slough, went down like instant. When I found where I shot him all I found was one side of antler that was shot off right above the brow-tine. Bet he had a headache for awhile and I kept the antler. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84