Understand

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son asked me to come say my goodbye to his dog yesterday. A yellow lab 0f 13 years he taught to shed hunt and jump off the dock.
In the years we shed hunted in northern Canada he found the bulk of the sheds. He did well jumping off the dock at 23 feet.
As i said my goodbyes he would wag his tail and i did question what was to happen.

As a farm boy i had more than my share of crying with the dogs and cats i knew. On the farm most had a shorter life and is why i only had 2 cats and 2 dogs earlier. No, the joy of ownership was not for me. To many cries. Life to short.

He sent me pictures of his days and as i look at his current picture i understood the need to go on.

Some have posted about their animals and i again understand. The memories are wonderful but.

I understand why for me i could not have ownership anymore. Life is just too hard.

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went through the same earlier this year with my son't dog. Loved that dog like it was my own. But when it's time it's a difficult decision but easier than seeing them suffer and in pain. Who shed's a tear over an animal? Pretty sure it's most of us.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prayers to you, your son, & son's family DB and we always will have the memories.
I have gone through the same things as you DB and it got to be too hard on both of us. Miss our "friends" and companions dearly and so glad we have their memories with us.
Please share this with your son also.

Losing a dear friend (1).jpg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the kind words.

I was thinking today about life on the farm. A number of years ago i went to see the parents and i had two of my granddaughters with me about 6 or7.

I knew a mother cat with litter was in the old horse barn so i took the granddaughters with me.
Before we went in the barn i taught them how to say what a mother cat says when she calls your babies.
We went up the stairs to where there was a hand full of square bales on the floor.
They call with what i had taught them and the kittens answer as they would answer their mother.

The express on their face was priceless and i will always remember. Using that call they found all the kittens. Soon the mother cat came, and they watch as she nurse her kittens.

Life on the farm can be priceless, hard sometimes but priceless with life lessons learn.
Their mother, my daughter, was with us and she will never forget that either. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93