DSLR Cameras

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife asked me what i wanted for christmas and the iphone camera just isnt cutting it any more. I was looking around and this looks like a nice starter set. Any one have it or opinions on the way to go. I know enough about photography that its a very expensive hobby. I want to be able to take nice pictures of hunting and dogs and maybe some videos. At this point i get as much enjoyment watching the birds work and the dog do his thing as i do shooting. I shot 4 times the other day and had a blast.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...j3ThQSlcSOw7NwnZNJe_HkzGypWdbZOUaAuWfEALw_wcB

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I have that camera with the standard lens. Takes nice pictures and is easy to use. I'm not an expert and don't have much to compare it to, but it takes better pictures than an iPhone.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Canon package is a great set up for the dollars. They take great pictures and are easy to use. You wouldn't be disappointed.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The upside to Canon is that even their most basic DSLR body will accept their L-Series top quality lenses, and their batteries last for freakin' EVER. I took 1500-1800 pics on our '11 AK Caribou hunt and I don't think I got even half-way through the 1st battery. That's the small battery that goes in the camera, not that big-bastard that makes a handle too.

My only critique would be that I'd prefer more than 3 frames/second if I were trying to capture outdoor action shots.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rule 1. The heavier the camera the less you will carry it afield. I have a Nikon with a monster telephoto lens. Great for shooting off a tripod or from a blind but otherwise it is a truck camera only.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rule 1. The heavier the camera the less you will carry it afield. I have a Nikon with a monster telephoto lens. Great for shooting off a tripod or from a blind but otherwise it is a truck camera only.
I would say 95% would be shooting after hunt photo with the dog and dog games and during training.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carried a 2# body and 3# lens in AK. More often than not anymore in the field I just use my iPhone. But, I often carry my DLSR and a couple lenses in the pickup for "good" pics once something is down, end of the day, sunrise/set, etc.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kurt, if you have time before you buy sign up for a photography class at a local college or high school. Or maybe even online. It will save you headaches down the road.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt, if you have time before you buy sign up for a photography class at a local college or high school. Or maybe even online. It will save you headaches down the road.
That is something I have looked in to i will have to go the on line route as mobridge doesnt have much to offer haha

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another satisfied Canon user with L Series lenses. Primarily use a 70 - 200mm f4 lens that works for me. Only downside is weight / bulk as others have noted. Had a Nikon DSLR prior and Canon seems to me to be a bit more intuitive. Took a photography 101 class many years ago and it was great to learn basics of filters, manual f stop and shutter speed settings, etc.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well here i go digging in the weeds. It seems the dslr are getting phased out and every one is going mirrorless. so now i am looking at the cannon r100. Shoots video better and has a faster shudder speed. When its cold it gives me way to much time to research stuff........

https://cameralandny.com/shop/canon-eos-r100-mirrorless-camera-with-rf-s-18-45mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm-lens/ed7b2a40-dbb8-013b-43ed-00163e90e196?variation=3483650&query=cannon r100
If you want to shoot action shots with that body (or anything with some controls) you:

1. Turn that big dial on the top right side with all the letters to "AV"

2. Find your Auto Focus in the menu and set it to "AI Servo"

3. Set your frame rate as fast as it'll go (One Shot AF)

4. Get the "fastest" memory card you can find

You'll be amazed @ what the camera can catch @ 6.5 frames/sec that you don't see until you start going through the pics.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of my cameras are Canon mirrorless (R6 &R7) I love them and would choose them again in a second. I don't know much about the R100. I did see that it is a crop sensor which means you would take the lens focal length and multiply it by 1.6x. My R7 is a crop sensor and my R6 is not, so for me it's like having two completely different sets of lenses.

For shooting after hunt photos it should work great, For action shots it might struggle because It looks like it only shoots 6.5 shots per second. The autofocus looks good. Crop sensors get really grainy in low light, just FWI.

Video is going to be so-so on it.

One other thing that doesn't seem like a bit deal, but can be depending on what you are hoping to do is that the screen is fixed on the R100, where with the others it folds out and can flip.

Canon app for the phone is great. You can use your phone as both a monitor and a remote. makes taking photos on your own really simple.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
To touch on Wirehairs L-series comment. For the RF mount, the longer focal length L series lenses telescope, so they aren't as big and bulky as they used to be. The issue is that the lenses are dumb expensive. The RF 70-200 F/4L is usually around $1,400. If wildlife photography is something you like, the RF 100-500 F/4.5-7.1 L is fantastic, but that sucker is $2600.

You can, however, get an adapter and run older EF glass on the mirrorless RF cameras. My main lens that I use for close up shots is an adapted EF 16-35mm F/4L. I use that mainly for being in a blind.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife got me the cannon eos r100 with the 18-45 lens. Now to take a class been YouTubing a bunch and will probably get a book I like reading and having it infront of me.

Lazy Christmas eve

IMG_1892.jpeg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you pheasant hunt your dog or just waterfowl?
A little pheasant hunting. It’s so opposite of what we train for all year. It comes to him pretty natural . Usually small groups this is the first time we went with a big group.
IMG_2958.jpeg

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've met guys that wouldn't hunt their labs on upland because of field trial training.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've met guys that wouldn't hunt their labs on upland because of field trial training.
Ya it’s pretty common especially when you get to the top level open field trail dogs. He is going to have to learn to sit on the flush as the fifth series of the grand is an upland test.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84