Herd reduction deer tags.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just wondering what the rest of you would do if you were in my position. I live outside of city limits in Bismarck in a development. Last summer my neighbor, found 2 broadhead arrows in his back yard, one a few feet from his house and the other past his house near his garage. He calls the Sherriff's office and an officer comes and takes the arrows. He says that this is a dangerous situation. He then takes the arrows to the owner and talks with him and explains our dissatisfaction with his shooting. If those arrows would have come towards my house, they would have hit it or went past my house. This fall my neighbor (the hunter)comes over and says he shot a doe and it ran behind my house. After talking with him, I find out he has 2 reduction tags, his 12 year old son has 2 tags and his 10 year old has 2 tags. They shoot at these deer from inside their garage, not from an elevated stand. I have grandkids
in my yard playing often. The neighbor wont stop hunting, as he moved into the house to "hunt on his own land". What would you do? Go plead with the Game and Fish to limit this? Not let the grandkids play outside in my own yard? I'm just looking for what others would do if they were in my shoes.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many yards away do they shoot from ? Safety should be # 1 priority in any hunting scenario IMO. I'd set up a security cam to see and record what's going on and when, and take from there. The safety of my family would come first and it doesn't sound like a warning helped. I'd talk to the guy and let him know your concerns. In these neighborhood reduction areas they should bait them in front of a backstop.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just wondering what the rest of you would do if you were in my position. I live outside of city limits in Bismarck in a development. Last summer my neighbor, found 2 broadhead arrows in his back yard, one a few feet from his house and the other past his house near his garage. He calls the Sherriff's office and an officer comes and takes the arrows. He says that this is a dangerous situation. He then takes the arrows to the owner and talks with him and explains our dissatisfaction with his shooting. If those arrows would have come towards my house, they would have hit it or went past my house. This fall my neighbor (the hunter)comes over and says he shot a doe and it ran behind my house. After talking with him, I find out he has 2 reduction tags, his 12 year old son has 2 tags and his 10 year old has 2 tags. They shoot at these deer from inside their garage, not from an elevated stand. I have grandkids
in my yard playing often. The neighbor wont stop hunting, as he moved into the house to "hunt on his own land". What would you do? Go plead with the Game and Fish to limit this? Not let the grandkids play outside in my own yard? I'm just looking for what others would do if they were in my shoes.
What part of the area is this? I live south and there are almost no deer left around here after the latest round of ehd. If the arrows are in your yard and you have talked to the neighbor file a complaint with the police department. I would think an arrow would be considered a deadly weapon and for someone to be flinging them recklessly in a populated area would be criminal, no different than firing a gun that hit one’s house.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many yards away do they shoot from ? Safety should be # 1 priority in any hunting scenario IMO. I'd set up a security cam to see and record what's going on and when, and take from there. The safety of my family would come first and it doesn't sound like a warning helped. I'd talk to the guy and let him know your concerns. In these neighborhood reduction areas they should bait them in front of a backstop.
Baiting is illegal in most areas around Bismarck

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The back of his house is less than 100 yards from the front of my house. I have told him I will file a complaint next time an arrow is found, but I have not seen one since. I'm not sure if he is baiting. I live by Sibley park. I was thinking of calling the Sherriff's office and seeing my options, as they should still have the call about the 2 arrow's on file. I hate to be a prick, but I want to be able to enjoy my yard also.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are " hunting" lol, with a bow from thier garage, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yeah...., prolly a corn pile close by.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
There would be discussion from me to him and they would not be a pleasant one.
I would be a prick for the moment. db
Unfortunately, this is what I would also do . Sometimes it’s what’s necessary

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure on regulation for city hunting call game and fish and yes have good talk as you have. I would be very upset I am north of town and big pasture behind my property I have troubles always.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, I was going to say lob them back ...duel... with your bow when\if he does it again.

Sorry......thats a BAD idea. ...lame...

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What I had read about hunts in North Fargo is you have to be in the elevated stand. No ground blinds. So your shooting downward. Less chance of a skipped arrow.

I would have to think Bismarck is the same way. I would check with Game and Fish and see what they have for there urban hunts.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Game Warden coming out next week to look over the situation. I also check and Burleigh County Sherriff still has the 2 arrows my other neighbor found in his yard on file from last summer. Hopefully everything gets resolved. Also, I hope there is still a sign of a bait pile.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if I'm right (just guessing) but...
If they are hunting from a garage, there IS a bait pile. Nodak legal.

I can't fathom a reason how a Warden could waste his time?.
Maybe talk/ try to educate but when we shoot ducks/ pheasants/ coyotes, we never 100% know where our projectiles end up.

Leave the law out of it. Go talk face to face with concerns.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
going down the right track.
For me i have had a few minor type issues and did not get game and fish involve as i feel hopefully the two of us come with an understanding. if you did this and corrected the problem ok. However, this involves in town, an arrow coming into your yard and nothing to mess with when somewhat is willing to put arrows in your yard. If your neighbor has not corrected time to seek help. db

Last edited:

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are " hunting" lol, with a bow from thier garage, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yeah...., prolly a corn pile close by.
You all are so cynical. Clearly this guy was smart enough to build his garage adjacent to a natural travel corridor.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84