Drew A New Mexico Oryx Tag

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hit the jackpot and drew a once-in-a-lifetime WSMR Oryx hunt. I drew the Stallion Range in early November. I didn't to hire an outfitter but I booked Compass West Outfitters for a guide down there. I mainly want help with judging horn length and to help out with it being such a short hunt. I also figured I would let them beat up their pickup instead of mine. With that said, I have a few questions for the group. Also if anyone has been on that hunt before your input would be appreciated

First, I want to upgrade binoculars from my cheap diamondback vortex ones. Looking at the Leica Geovid R 10x42 rangefinder/binoculars. I don't need all the ballistics stuff from the upper end Leicas but would like to know if anyone has a pair and if they will reliably range to 1600 yards.

Second, bullets. The guide said he doesn't like Berger bullets and that is what i'm currently shooting. He said the Oryx are tough and the Bergers tend to explode. He recommended Barnes and I've been looking at switching anyways. I can't decide between the 175gr. LRX or the 190gr. LRX. Rifle is a 300wm 26" barrel with 1:10 twist.

Third, Tripods. I was informed that shooting prone was highly unlikely and to be prepared for shots out to 500-600 yards from standing off of sticks or tripod. Any recommendations on good tripods. I know the long range community is a fan of the RRS stuff but not sure I can justify $2,000 for a tripod I will only use a few times a year, but this is a once in a lifetime hunt as well.

Fourth, pickup cargo racks. Anyone have any experience with the receiver hitch cargo racks for pickups. With possibly three other guys going with and all the gear and coolers I would like a cargo rack to put some stuff on. Do they deflect rocks back at the pickup any or any other issues or brands I should look at?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off, congrats on getting the tag. I only know one person who has done this hunt and I don't recall the details.

Secondly, this would seem to be a great opportunity for a freezer on a trailer type of hunt. This is where you simply grab a just-large-enough freezer, strap it to a trailer and set a camper generator right next to it for the ride home.

Lastly, I don't have any experience with Barnes bullets of the 30 caliber variety, but they are good choices for hanging together while producing excellent penetration at that range. In my experience, bullets tend to disintegrate more when they hit the target at close range (~100 yds, or less) than they do at longer distances where they've already shed a lot of velocity. So, I am not sure I am on board with the guide's dislike for Berger, even though I have never used them.

Anyway, good luck on the hunt!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't be over thinking this, they are just another critter. But it sounds like you are ready to burn some cash on this so have fun!
A topper with a roof rack will save allot of space, just borrow a topper if you dont have one. Buy a reciever rack with sides, one that folds is nice.
Don't know anything about the Range finder binos but you can't go wrong with the Euro stuff, my Lieca range finder works well as do my swaro EL binos though. My long distance buddies are big fans of the sig kilo5k n 8k rangefinders. Crazy how fast and far out they can get a reading, talking thousands of yards.
The carbon bog deathgrip works well and its reasonable for a tripod.
As far as bullets, use what your confident in and works best through your rifle. I like accubonds myself.
Good luck, my buddy had that tag. Pm me if you want to get ahold of him, he's a wealth of firearm and optics knowledge as he has worked in that department for many years at scheels.

Last edited:

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off, congrats on getting the tag. I only know one person who has done this hunt and I don't recall the details.

Secondly, this would seem to be a great opportunity for a freezer on a trailer type of hunt. This is where you simply grab a just-large-enough freezer, strap it to a trailer and set a camper generator right next to it for the ride home.

Lastly, I don't have any experience with Barnes bullets of the 30 caliber variety, but they are good choices for hanging together while producing excellent penetration at that range. In my experience, bullets tend to disintegrate more when they hit the target at close range (~100 yds, or less) than they do at longer distances where they've already shed a lot of velocity. So, I am not sure I am on board with the guide's dislike for Berger, even though I have never used them.

Anyway, good luck on the hunt!
Thank you, I wasn't overly impressed with the Berger 215's on my deer last year at 300 yards and that's part of the reason I want to switch. Oryx meat is supposed to be some of the finest game meat as well so I would prefer not to have lead and copper fragments through a bunch of it especially if it requires a follow up shot.

I thought about a freezer and trailer but I am hoping to not have to pull a trailer if I can avoid it. I think the meat should easily fit in a big cooler and the temperatures shouldn't be a problem in november.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't be over thinking this, they are just another critter. But it sounds like you are ready to burn some cash on this so have fun!
A topper with a roof rack will save allot of space, just borrow a topper if you dont have one. Buy a reciever rack with sides, one that folds is nice.
Don't know anything about the Range finder binos but you can't go wrong with the Euro stuff, my Lieca range finder works well as do my swaro EL binos though. My long distance buddies are big fans of the sig kilo5k n 8k rangefinders. Crazy how fast and far out they can get a reading, talking thousands of yards.
The carbon bog deathgrip works well and its reasonable for a tripod.
As far as bullets, use what your confident in and works best through your rifle. I like accubonds myself.
Good luck, my buddy had that tag. Pm me if you want to get ahold of him, he's a wealth of firearm and optics knowledge as he's worked in that department for many years at scheels.
I am not wanting to burn a bunch of cash, but quality hunting equipment lasts and i've never been disappointed buying it after using it. This is my bucket list hunt so I want to do it right even if I have to put some gear on credit cards. I have a leica 2400 R rangefinder already that is great but i'm short in the good binocular department and figured I may as well buy a combo if the glass is still good in them.

PM Sent as well.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations on the tag first of all! I will second the SIG rangefinders as far as speed and distance. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago looking at the rangefinder binoculars. I ended up with a new pair of binos and the SIG rangefinder and couldn't be happier

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on the tag. I've considered getting in on that but never have.

2007 I borrowed my 270Win shooting 140gn TSX to a gal I knew who drew a NM Oryx. She got hers @ just under 300yds and both bullets passed through. That's the full extent of my actual Oryx knowledge

If I were going to work up a new load for a 300WM w/Barnes I'd likely use a 168 TTSX. You don't gain enough BC going to the 175/190 LRX to make up for the loss in velocity.

It's no secret I'm an unapologetic Barnes zealot, but, the LRX gives me pause. The front end is tapered so hard/tight that it looks like it would be difficult to get it to open up though I have no actual data to support that and I've read a fair amount to the contrary. I tried the 145gn .284 LRX in a 7WSM and 7Rem Mag and in both cases I maxed out on pressure before I got to where I thought velocity should be. The LRX just didn't give me the "warm-fuzzies" I get with the TSX/TTSX.

Armed with the above info and $.99 you should be able to get a small bottle of water on sale on a convenience store.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also shoot a 300wm and have been using 165 Barnes with really good success. Last year I shot my deer around 360 yds and it fell dead in it's tracks. In all my years of deer hunting this is the first time I have ever had that happen. 2 years ago I shot my doe at right around 400 yds and she only went about 30 yds after the shot. Not sure where you're located but if you want to try out the rangefinder you're more then welcome to.

Bobkat

Established Member
I have TONS of info and advice concerningOryx hunting in N Mex. And photos, etc.
trying to pass along my phone number or email to you, to no,avail so far. Don’t want to register again as everything I say will be considered wrong and bad and liberal by some and don’t want to go through the “piling on” crap again!

If this doesn’t get posted, can someone pass this on to the fellow who asked about it? Thanks……BadBob

Bobkat

Established Member
Oops, logged in under a previous name - was trying to post a one time under A new name BadBOB, but as e-mails would have been the same,it somehow posted it under my old username rather than to delete it. However, if you want a wealth of good info, ask Vollmers for my phone number and we can get together for coffee sometime, if feasible! I’ll buy…..

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just in case some of the younger people don't know the critter at the wrong end of this hunt:

1682706055410.png

Yep, no need to go to Africa to hunt one of these fellas. I don't remember the full story of how they ended up in NM, but at this point...who cares.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also prefer a copper bullet for critters I'm going to eat. I've had success with Barnes TSX, TTSX, and LRX.
That said, I recently stumbled upon Badlands Bullets, and am going to give them a try. Made in Yankton SD. Yeah, they're pricy, but so are Barnes. You should be able to run the 175gr in a 1-10 twist. There's 80-some pages of info about them here.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also shoot a 300wm and have been using 165 Barnes with really good success. Last year I shot my deer around 360 yds and it fell dead in it's tracks. In all my years of deer hunting this is the first time I have ever had that happen. 2 years ago I shot my doe at right around 400 yds and she only went about 30 yds after the shot. Not sure where you're located but if you want to try out the rangefinder you're more then welcome to.
Shoot them high shoulder and their head will have to catch up with their ass almost every time.😊👍

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also prefer a copper bullet for critters I'm going to eat. I've had success with Barnes TSX, TTSX, and LRX.
That said, I recently stumbled upon Badlands Bullets, and am going to give them a try. Made in Yankton SD. Yeah, they're pricy, but so are Barnes. You should be able to run the 175gr in a 1-10 twist. There's 80-some pages of info about them here.
I've found Badlands projectiles are easy to find an accurate load for. I've loaded the 95's in a 257Wby, 128's and 140's in 270Win, 175's and 195's in 300Win.

I've settled on the 95's in the 257Wby, 140's in a 1:8 270Win, and 175's in 300Win.

The only reason I didn't recommend them up front is because I've only shot 1 deer with them and that was @ ~50yds so I haven't enough real-world terminal performance data to give them thumbs up or down on game yet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a lot of people using the hammer bullets with good results . Congrats on the tag. I have only fondled that Leica but I don’t think it would disappoint.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shoot them high shoulder and their head will have to catch up with their ass almost every time.😊👍
A Hornady 165 gr Interlocks will do the trick. They hold together real good coming out of a 300 Win Mag. And they shoot great.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont overthink this....

This "new bullet" shit drives me nuts.

Load up some Nosler Partitions/ Sierra Game Kings and go kill your Oryx.

Congrats on the tag.
The game king came out in 1984 Barnes came out with there copper bullet in 1985. I guess they are both new compared to the partitions

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84