Drew A New Mexico Oryx Tag

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont overthink this....

This "new bullet" shit drives me nuts.

Load up some Nosler Partitions/ Sierra Game Kings and go kill your Oryx.

Congrats on the tag.
My family has killed a lot of deer with sierra gamekings. The main reason to go Barnes and build a new load is because oryx meat is supposed to be some of the best. I don’t want to waste any and having to punch through shoulders with the vitals farther forward on them I want a really tough bullet.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This "new bullet" shit drives me nuts.
Sometimes a better thing really does come along. Take the 53gn V-max. You get 69gn SMK BC with .224 53gn speed.

I prefer TSX/TTSX to Partitions because I've found the barnes easier to obtain accuracy and their performance consistency across a wide range of weights, diameters, and impact velocities are mind-numbingly predictable. Caliber entrance, golf-ball sized exit, complete carnage in-between.

I like new bullets.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on the tag. I've considered getting in on that but never have.

2007 I borrowed my 270Win shooting 140gn TSX to a gal I knew who drew a NM Oryx. She got hers @ just under 300yds and both bullets passed through. That's the full extent of my actual Oryx knowledge

If I were going to work up a new load for a 300WM w/Barnes I'd likely use a 168 TTSX. You don't gain enough BC going to the 175/190 LRX to make up for the loss in velocity.

It's no secret I'm an unapologetic Barnes zealot, but, the LRX gives me pause. The front end is tapered so hard/tight that it looks like it would be difficult to get it to open up though I have no actual data to support that and I've read a fair amount to the contrary. I tried the 145gn .284 LRX in a 7WSM and 7Rem Mag and in both cases I maxed out on pressure before I got to where I thought velocity should be. The LRX just didn't give me the "warm-fuzzies" I get with the TSX/TTSX.

Armed with the above info and $.99 you should be able to get a small bottle of water on sale on a convenience store.
Scheels had the 175LRX on hand when I was there so I picked up a box to try. I built the rifle to be my "long range" rifle and I like the idea of supposedly lower impact velocity expansion in case I ever do need to make a long shot. Hoping I can find a load with H1000 or H4350 since I have them on hand and the Reloader powders seem to get a little crazy at high temps from what i've been reading. Plus RL26 is tough to find and RL19 doesn't seem very temp stable.

Walleye Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a 300 WSM with 180 gr Winchester power point ammo to take mine down in Africa.
One shot at about 220 yards, tipped over 20 yards later. Not sure if anybody has said this but study the vital area for shot placement. In lots of the African game, you need to aim at a little bit different area than the North American game. They told me to judge by length and mass. Males are typically heavier than females but can be just as long. Mine was a female.
image00259.jpeg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^You fellows are the real deal--😲 When I win the lottery I'm getting a triple bbl H&H set: .35 Remington, .45/70 Gov't and .375. Just so you know...

1683168267120.png

Also, I don't want the bbls regulated. I will require 1in(ish) groups spaced 1/2in apart @100. If they can't do it I'll go to Rigby etc, et al.

That is all.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^You fellows are the real deal--😲 When I win the lottery I'm getting a triple bbl H&H set: .35 Remington, .45/70 Gov't and .375. Just so you know...

1683168267120.png
Why not a set of 16Ga bbls too?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not a set of 16Ga bbls too?
You have a shitton of class yet continue to fill a vile tube with yellow shells.

1oz is a Square Load and will blow the bottom out of a bucket @40 from a FC Model 12 pre WinSteel and chamber lengthened to 2 3/4. As you've read many times before: It's a turkey/late season pheasant gun which just turned 100 😲 this year. IDK--It will also "kick" the ever living dog shit out of the shooter: Carrying is pleasant: Discharging is not for the uninitiated.

With an 1oz shell I'd compare the recoil to an '06(?). With 1/8oz loads it's like a holy shit(?!!) and doesn't pattern as tight. My "gun experienced" sister totally destroyed a Bud can @40 (1oz/low brass--#6 shot) and handed me the gun with actual tears in her eyes. This is all "offhand" anecdotes. I believe "off the bench" I'd be in .458 territory.

Despite all the above the 16 is the perfect gauge. Do not think you can "save" a youth from "kick" with a 20. MOST/ALL factory loads try to achieve 12ga performance in a smaller hull and lighter gun.

Sorry for the hijack.

That is all:

Last edited:

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_3897.jpeg
Filled my oryx tag late on the second day of the hunt. My hunt got moved to Rhodes Canyon due to military operations on Stallion Range. The oryx have been getting pressured hard and this caused a back to back hunt at Rhodes Canyon. I hired an outfitter for this hunt and I’m glad I did. The guide spotted oryx probably 3:1 versus me and my friends and also saved me from shooting a small one because they are hard to judge. The oryx were very skittish and we struggled to get within 550 yards of them without them running. The smaller ones were the only ones who would let us get a little closer than that and with having to shoot off sticks I was hoping for 400 yards or closer. We got lucky with this one and seen a couple in a clearing that worked their way into some thick but sand dune ground that gave us cover and luckily spotted them each time before they did us. Followed them for close to a mile playing hide and seek and finally snuck over a small ridge and this one popped out at 175 yards. Broke both front shoulders and she died within feet. The 175 Barnes lrx sheared off atleast one petal I found in the meat and the bullet was in offside hide that I’m hoping to get back from taxidermist. 37 1/4” cow. We got an impressive display from a couple fighter jets flying crazy low and close on Friday while they did maneuvers.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great job, you did your homework and it definitely paid off! Congrats!👍👍

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats, will be waiting on a review of ow the meat is and what you end up doing with it. Steaks, roasts, sausage? About how much do you think the animal weighted and how many pounds do you figure you got?

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hit the jackpot and drew a once-in-a-lifetime WSMR Oryx hunt. I drew the Stallion Range in early November. I didn't to hire an outfitter but I booked Compass West Outfitters for a guide down there. I mainly want help with judging horn length and to help out with it being such a short hunt. I also figured I would let them beat up their pickup instead of mine. With that said, I have a few questions for the group. Also if anyone has been on that hunt before your input would be appreciated

First, I want to upgrade binoculars from my cheap diamondback vortex ones. Looking at the Leica Geovid R 10x42 rangefinder/binoculars. I don't need all the ballistics stuff from the upper end Leicas but would like to know if anyone has a pair and if they will reliably range to 1600 yards.

Second, bullets. The guide said he doesn't like Berger bullets and that is what i'm currently shooting. He said the Oryx are tough and the Bergers tend to explode. He recommended Barnes and I've been looking at switching anyways. I can't decide between the 175gr. LRX or the 190gr. LRX. Rifle is a 300wm 26" barrel with 1:10 twist.

Third, Tripods. I was informed that shooting prone was highly unlikely and to be prepared for shots out to 500-600 yards from standing off of sticks or tripod. Any recommendations on good tripods. I know the long range community is a fan of the RRS stuff but not sure I can justify $2,000 for a tripod I will only use a few times a year, but this is a once in a lifetime hunt as well.

Fourth, pickup cargo racks. Anyone have any experience with the receiver hitch cargo racks for pickups. With possibly three other guys going with and all the gear and coolers I would like a cargo rack to put some stuff on. Do they deflect rocks back at the pickup any or any other issues or brands I should look at?
First off nice draw. I have the Leica Geovid 10x42 original version which will range1,600 yds which is about max not sure new model. They work very good daylight to dark, very nice glass the newer HD version which has been out for a while is even nicer. Was about $1,500 back in the day. I have no complaints hung around my neck for many miles all over North Amerca. As far as tripod go light weight. I have the carbon fiber outdoorsman model was like $500 plus adapters back in day very happy with it. I have the binocular and gun rest very easy to switch out. As far as bullet do not use Bergers get more robust built one. I used a custom built 340 weatherby with 250 grain Nosler or Barnes. Dad told me those hunts that are maybe happen once in lifetime hit them hard with big gun dont be that guy that thinks his smaller caliber is fine. Smallest rifle I shoot on smaller type animal's was a 7mmag 175 grain partition. Enjoy hunt I would do the guide as you did. I have done some hunts without and it was not a good ending.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88