new hiking, hunting boots

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Good morning,
I am looking for a pair of hiking, hunting boots that would be good for early bow hunting and antelope hunting. I would prefer un-insulated and fairly light weight. Would also prefer a mid size boot with some ankle support but not half-way up my calf muscle. I'm open to any brands. lets hear it . thanks.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've actually been looking into this option as well. The danner pronghorns are just a little too warm for early season.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kenetrek Hardscrabble Boots

Extremely comfortable & excellent ankle support. Bought my pair last year and used them archery elk hunting. Only thing that sucks about these boots is paying for them as the cash register. If you do a lot of hiking/spot and stalk these boots get my vote.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Salomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boots. Been wearing them year round unless I'm sitting in a tree stand during the late season. They have a ton of miles on them, and are holding up great. I bought them specifically for elk hunting, but they are so comfortable that I've started wearing them for everything. Great ankle support and a very rigid sole.

Edit: They are also extremely light compared to other hiking/hunting boots.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would look at Keen as well, most of their stuff that I have owned has held up well, not sure about the hiker type boot bout lots of options out there...also saw a Danner Radical 452 GORE-TEX Hikers...looked compareable to the Kenetrek at a 1/4 of the cost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This
Darn good boots and light and comfortable.

Check out the Salomon Quest 4D GTX hiking boots. Been wearing them year round unless I'm sitting in a tree stand during the late season. They have a ton of miles on them, and are holding up great. I bought them specifically for elk hunting, but they are so comfortable that I've started wearing them for everything. Great ankle support and a very rigid sole.

Edit: They are also extremely light compared to other hiking/hunting boots.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
also saw a Danner Radical 452 GORE-TEX Hikers...looked compareable to the Kenetrek at a 1/4 of the cost

Not going to be anywhere near the quality as Kenetrek though.

Riverbottoms- Going to be doing any hunting in rugged or steep country? If they'll just be for early bowhunting and antelope, you'll probably be fine with something under $200. If you'll be in the mountains though, it's best to pony up and buy something good like Kenetreks. That's what I've got and really like them.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the Mendel ultra lights I really like. Will put to the test in Idaho this year. Won't even bother looking at danners the last pair of pronghorns were junk. Only one I would even entertain would be USA built. I almost got the saloman as a buddy has them and loves them.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pronghorns are now 15 years old. Still great boots. I want something uninsulated and lighter. I got beat up in the badlands last year.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not going to be anywhere near the quality as Kenetrek though.

Riverbottoms- Going to be doing any hunting in rugged or steep country? If they'll just be for early bowhunting and antelope, you'll probably be fine with something under $200. If you'll be in the mountains though, it's best to pony up and buy something good like Kenetreks. That's what I've got and really like them.

$$$ don't necessarily mean quality, and you don't have to buy something like Kenetrek to hunt in the mountains. There are lots of good boot manufacturers (Lowa, Zamberlan, Crispi, Scarpa, Salomon, etc.), but I certainly wouldn't put Kenetrek near the top of that list. You simply need something that fits YOUR feet well. The best thing you can do is try on a lot of boots and find the one that fits you the best. A lot of place around here don't carry the high end boots, so if that's what you're looking for, find an online retailer that offers free return shipping.

Noton Yourlife

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my first pair of kenetreks this year, best boots I've ever owned

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
my brothers just hit the 20 year mark. He needs them to be resoled though. bad.

I had one pair that was in its 18th season. Threw them away back in June. Thankfully I bought a backup pair a year or two after the first pair was purchased. They haven't seen much use the past few years, but they are still in excellent condition. The pronghorns are an excellent boot for the money.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pronghorns are now 15 years old. Still great boots. I want something uninsulated and lighter. I got beat up in the badlands last year.

2 pair and both shot in a year leaked right off the bat. Has an old pair of pronghorns which lasted me 4 years which for boots is great to bad they went cheap route and now suck.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one pair that was in its 18th season. Threw them away back in June. Thankfully I bought a backup pair a year or two after the first pair was purchased. They haven't seen much use the past few years, but they are still in excellent condition. The pronghorns are an excellent boot for the money.

Since they started making them in China the pronghorns suck. They still make a few boots in USA but they aren't that great anymore. They are heavy and the bob sole sucks for upland. This is coming from a guy who has always worn Danners. I just picked up a pair of Schnees Beartooth's. They seemed like the best fit for most of my hunting needs. Montana company (boots made for them in Italy). I guess we will see how they last.

When it comes to hunting boots, if its not made in Italy, Germany, or USA I'm not buying it!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw some Danners (>$200) made in Vietnam - which typically are better than any clothing labeled Made in China.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In order from stiffest to most flexible: Kennetrek Hardscrabble Hiker, Meindl Denali, Meindl Perfekt light hiker. If a guy does a lot of hiking on flat ground/upland hunting and doesn't want/need a stiff boot, the Cabelas Kangaroo upland boots are pretty good too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33