New to smoking

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:smokin:;:smokin:;:smoking

So I happen to acquire a smoker. It is a charbroil – charcoal vertical smoker, definitely not fancy but the price was right.

So being green as grass other than drooling over Mossy’s work, I seek advise.

Should I “season” the smoker, it is not new but looks like it has not been used before. Maybe just run it through a heat / smoke cycle before using it on meat?

The vents, I assume open makes it hotter. But does adjusting the top vents vs. the bottom vents produce different results?

My first project is beef short ribs. I have a basic grasp of 3-2-1 but not sure if that is just for pork rib.

I will likely be running without a fancy thermometer for now but there is a thermometer in the door. I guess 225° F is temperature goal. And 145°F for internal temp on beef. Any suggestions or variations on this?
Thanks for any suggestions.
I appreciate any links but quite frankly after days of reading all the google I could digest I am looking for advise that keeps it simple…

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless your pit is made of raw steel or cast iron, no need to season. But if there's any residual oil from the manufacturer, an hour or two at high heat wouldn't hurt.

Top vents should always be open. Bottom is heat control. Just like a kettle style grill.

For beef short ribs ribs I forgo the 3-2-1 and just smoke at 225° until they start pulling back from the bone.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would burn a load of coal in it first to be on the safe side. I usually try to keep top vent wide open and control pit temp with the bottom vent but more times then not I need to dampen down the top vent also if I want a specific temp.

If you cook beef ribs to 145 they will suck. Usually around 200 give or take and they are done. I don't go by IT with any ribs. For beef I mainly go by "probe tender". Stick a probe in them and it should feel like going through room temp butter when they are done. Pork ribs I go by the bend test.

Dont get hung up on a specific temp and keep chasing it. If you're shooting for 225 and the smoker settles in at 257, don't worry about it.

You can buy cheap oven thermometers and set them on the grates if you want to get pit temps by the food.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
the hardest thing I suspect you will encounter is keeping a consistent temp with charcoal. and remember, low and slow.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can try to take a little test run with no food to help give yourself an idea of temp control as well as how much charcoal you may need for an extended smoke.
If you feel like it is a waste of charcoal I suggest throwing some uncooked brats on and give them a test smoke. Inexpensive, testy, and a pretty easy test run. If there is a way to add a water pan the steam can help with temp control, smoke flavor sticking to the meat and cooking.
Along with your charcoal if you plan on wood chunks (not chips) I suggest a little pecan and cherry.

- - - Updated - - -

Remote thermometers are great tools and worth having. I go a thermo pro off Amazon last year for I believe $35. They are also addictive to watch while drinking beer:;:cheers

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tips, did an empty run on Saturday, skimped on the coals as I am doing it in the shop because of the burn ban and didn't want any hassles. Light on the charcoal only got temp to 123°. I have wood chips and not chunks so that will be a problem until I burn through them. Off to buy some brats today.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chips work fine but with the charcoal I have found I get better results with the bigger chunks. Soaking the chips when your temp is running a little hot can help cool and help them slowly smolder but you need to be careful that you don't extinguish your coals, unsoaked chips can help to stoke or bump your heat a little beings they will burn quicker. With the chunks sometimes I soak them and sometimes not just part of the tinkering and experimenting.
Have fun, good luck and let us know how it goes

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 24
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7