Open water is coming!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hopefully break in a new boat...continue fishing with jigging raps...try to get that down. Also want to pull cranks more often...gotta be a confidence thing...but I rarely do!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Break in new motor on small boat.
More leadcore and snap weight usage.
Some new techniques/baits for shallow casting on Devils.
More trips to Sak.
More overall travel to new destinations (wish I was on Erie this week).
Continue to break apart key areas of the lake with better imaging and identify "spot on the spot" locations.
Continue to decrease volume of lesser value/quality equipment needed for guiding and replace with much higher quality and less volume.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a wild "Nostalgia" thing going this year and I'm going to expand my jig options by making my own hair/maribou/flashabou jigs instead of using just soft plastics. I find it extremely satisfying to catch a pile of fish on your own creations.

Only reason why I subject myself to many weekends of painting instead of fishing.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was apparently shooting for the moon last year in saying get out fishing more. This year I'm going to try and keep it realistic and say I want to realistically put in 3 legit efforts to put in a solid weekend of fishing.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should organize my plans. I have a boat that will now allow me to fish any technique the way I want. Jigging in the bathtub was a pain if much wind. Basically any real slow fishing as the electric motor setup on it sucks. But now with the Ranger, I can go anywhere, and lindy and jig fish with the electric. So I want to do more of that. Plus I want to learn my electronics better. AND THEN TRUST THEM TO FIND FISH! I hear of guys going out looking for fish without even fishing...well they don't fish much anyway. These are guides that are looking for schools.

I would like to learn to program my trolling motor to follow a trail, or see if it can follow a contour. I really don't know what this graph can do, it maybe has mapping capability. I want to hit the Fort Rice area and north more this year too. Then later in the summer I want to master trolling deep with lead.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Break the 14# mark on a walleye, and try for a monster 500+lb shark from shore.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna try to get my girls casting with spinning gear without losing a rod and gotta start honing my sons netting skills. Probably fish a local tourney or two again with the boy, maybe one of the girls. Seems like signing up for one is the only way to guarantee a day of fishing as that takes precedent over any weddings, reunions, funerals, or whatever other bs tries to get in the way of summer.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enjoy the new cabin on Sak. Put two solid days together in the Gov Cup and take more time off in Oct to enjoy the jig rap bite!! Here piggy piggy piggy. #$%^&>

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m going to try to continue honing my use of jigging raps and the off brands that are similar. Last year really got me addicted to that. I also plan on doing some more pitching this spring/early summer with jigs. Had some success last year there as well and both are exciting ways to fish
you try those Phantom Lures Tilly 9’s yet? I saw they finally came out with a bigger size but they are sold out everywhere

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
ANy guesses when we will be fishing open water around Bismarck? I havent been by any of the ramps lately

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not changing much. I'm pretty damned good at what I've been doing.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Going to try harder to stay away from the binocular fishermen. Try to educate the fishermen that Walleye don't get spooked by a gas engine. Wish Me LUCK!!;:;banghead

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Fish more
2. Hopefully learn to use new trolling motor
3. Expand usage of electronics
4. Planer Boards - Started last year - still learning
5. Artificial vertical and casting presentations - Raps and plastics
6. Eat more fish
7. Travel to better lakes

Stobber

I have been out of boat ownership for a decade. So I am excited to get into a new boat that is completely set up beyond my expectations when I started shopping last fall. My goals are to learn the rig and to re-learn all of the tactics I used to employ. Leadcore, snapweights, vertical jigging etc etc. My teammate and I hope to do well in the AIM series this year, but as green as I am, I'm just excited to have the opportunity. I have two helix units networked to my ulterra, so I have to get that dialed in.

Cant wait!!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I need to learn how to troll with leadcore....any and all help would be appreciated....

And if anyone knows how to get my trolling motor to follow a contour on my helix I'm all ears...

By the way...last night I dreamed that I was catching walleye in a pool...must have been the only open water I could find?...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
ANy guesses when we will be fishing open water around Bismarck? I havent been by any of the ramps lately

There is still a LOT of ice on the river above Bismarck. It would be dangerous to go boating even if they pushed the ramps open this morning. A drifting sheet of ice is a real bugger to have to race back to the ramp if you're upstream from the ramp, if it catches you down stream of the ramp...there may be no getting around it!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My goal for the summer is try to find a fun spot closer to Fargo where I can take the grandkids camping on overnighters and drop a slip bobber over the side and catch perch. I'm ok with small ones so they have to throw some back but enough borderline cleaners so we can have a small meal. I read Ashtabula might be a starting point, Any pointers in that direction would be appreciated .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56