Open Water Season - Wrapping Up Quick

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The end of the open water season is quickly approaching...based on what we've gotten so far this fall from mother nature. I'm hoping we'll have fishable open water on the bigger lakes until Thanksgiving...but I'm not real confident. That being said...who is taking the boat out this weekend coming up? I'm planning to fish Van Hook Saturday and Audubon Sunday...just in case this is the last "good" weekend. Gotta get the boat out while we still can!

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna roll the dice on the big lake as well. Fingers crossed we can get into one more good flurry before freeze up.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like every weekend... I will be out on the big Devils Saturday and Sunday. Only a handful of weekends I haven't fished since... I cant recall.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im thinking about hitting the the Missouri Yellowstone confluence this weekend hopefully the big gals have moved up there by now

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
No school for the boys tomorrow and Friday..Taking them out south of Valley City tomorrow...Hopefully not the last time the boat sees water in 18...

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^ No kidding! Next week looks pretty decent so far as well...but I'll be "roughing" it in Key West by the end of next week!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm looking to burn off all my fuel tomorrow, maybe do a little spot fishing here and there. Boating season is over for me, any fishing taking place will be from shore after tomorrow until the ice freezes.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sakakawea has been on fire for the last 3 weeks. My newly retired dad sends me pictures non-stop all week long. The guy is straight up addicted to walleye fishing now that he doesn't have to work. He is not much of a hunter, so while I keep watching doe after doe walk by my tree stand I get to see cell phone pictures of big walleyes. Best of both worlds I guess.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have the next 6 days off and hope to fish at least 4 of them on western sak... ABSOLUTELY LOVE the cold water boat bite... hope it lasts till mid december...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nov warmer. Dec hot. Look at how that blocking high moves. Ice castle executives sweating to much inventory.

Jaaseth127

December 2nd last year was the last day open water for me but we absolutely hammered fish every outing. Excited for some colder water temps close to 45 degrees.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
31334.jpg20181017_142013.jpg20181017_144848.jpg

Went out walleye fishing today on Sak.... turned into smallmouth fishing instead lol. Went from noon to 430 and ended up with 14 total with the biggest at 22". Had to make sure the boat was ready for LOTW and rainy river next weeks fishing trip:;:rockit. Water temp was 49.8 most of the east end of the lake. Launched outta ft Stevens and went east, saw some big schools of bait fish with nice marks below them but they didn't want my jig and minnow but the small mouth sure did

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, Adam came over and took my 2 lifts and dock out of the water today on Metigoshe. He said that by Little Metigoshe Park the ice was an inch thick. Our whole bay was frozen over all the way down to Twin Oaks and it was not the first time that this happened this year. We are not winterized and use lake water and our water supply line froze up 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Luckly I was always able to thaw it out. We are in Minot in our apartment tonight and head out to CA Thursday morning.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just curious as to what walleye tactics work best for you guys on Sak this time of the year and later into December? I plan on fishing Lake Francis Case this weekend...I assume tactics should be similar?? Usually by now my boat is pretty much stored, but listening to all you guys talk about the fall bite has me thinking different...

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love this fall bite! And it looks like we will be getting several weeks of it!
IMG_20181017_192113.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51