Our Ice Fishing Blunders

onpoint!

Established Member
Several years ago the bay near Audubon's Cabin Site was very heavy with lots snow and contained a fair number of houses. i showed up early and started punching holes outside while the heater warmed up the shack. Water started gushing up like ol' Faithful, eventually putting more than a foot of water inside my house (and others, I'm sure). Had to stop fishing and started to prepare my house to leave the lake, lest it start to freeze solid. First, my house isn't easy to package on a warm day - no 'cables/winches' - but i was busy for a couple of hours with the handyman jack (we had nicknamed the house "widow-maker"), knee-deep in water, with the mechanism/spring freezing with every turn. Paid a guy with a plow to help make a path in the snow once i was finally able to get it hitched up, thought i was gonna die of a heart attack before i was able to pull it off. We reached a few people to come retrieve their houses and I think most folks found a way to get their house off that day, but some of those places became one with the lake... Anyone remember that?

nybs

Honored Member
Something to consider: i've used my i-phone inside a zip-lock baggie before. Did it up in Alaska when fishing on a rainy day and touch screen works and pics were fine. Maybe put phone in bag and attach one of the floating key-chains from your boat keys to the part above the zipper on the bag?

Also - had a good blunder first time out this year: brother's heater didn't work attached to 20lb tank when we set up. I gave him one of my 1lb tanks to try...didn't work well: buddy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

buddy 2.jpg
Didn't explode but it f'd our morning of fishing. -15 windchill and had to watch it burn out for about 20 minutes.

nybs

Honored Member
Not sure...he thought the regulator was frozen on hose from tank so that is why I gave him a bottle. Said he screwed it on and when he clicked the pilot to start it, flames started coming out the top of the bottle and he tossed it out the hub and started yelling at me to get out in case it blows...

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had that happen to me 2 years ago. Ended up that there was a crack in the link just above the bottle. I had started a hunting buddy up in my garage before a fishing trip. Pilot kit, but the regular heater didn't. Screwed a new bottle in and flames started coming out the side by the bottle. Chucked it out the garage door . Didn't burn much. Called buddy heater and they replaced it free.

nybs

Honored Member
Yoby - they're doing the same for my bro...he called same day and they are sending FedEx to pick up burnt one because they wanted to check it out, and upon receipt, they are sending a new one...
Pretty good on their part, but I suppose that also helps avoid nasty reviews and litigation?

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing in a 4x8 homemade portable with a plastic tarp. -10, stiff wind. Banked her in good to keep wind out, sunflower heater. As it started to get dark I decided to fire up the Coleman lantern. First farmers match sparked but wouldn't lite. Hmm.. they must be damp. Second farmers match same thing. After the third match the lightbulb came on. Told son in law sitting by the door, "Open the damn door!". The sunflower roared to life. I told him, "Well, hopefully when you passed out ,you would have fallen out the door and saved us."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33