Pellet Smoker/Grill Recommendations

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about getting myself one for Christmas. I've looked at Traeger, Green Mountain Grills and Camp Chef. Looking for pros/cons you've experienced and any recommendations - thanks!

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also look at the Cajun Injector @ Scheel's/others. The electric/digital unit does a pretty good job at about $160.00

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
A Treager with the newer PID control is a pretty good unit. We use ours very often and the pellets we run come from amazon. They are called the Perfect Mix.

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a camp chef Lux model about a month ago and I couldn’t be any happier!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went up to Home of Economy Friday to buy a potato ricer to make lefse and bought a Treager. Now I suppose I need that insulated blanket to cook in the winter. I picked up a pork butt roast today so I can try it out this week. I plan on marinating in apple juice and apple cider to begin with. Good idea or bad?

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went up to Home of Economy Friday to buy a potato ricer to make lefse and bought a Treager. Now I suppose I need that insulated blanket to cook in the winter. I picked up a pork butt roast today so I can try it out this week. I plan on marinating in apple juice and apple cider to begin with. Good idea or bad?

I leave the insulated blanket on year round

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet-grills.html

these look like the real deal

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a Yoder YS640 for almost 7 years that have been very happy with. Now decided to get another and ordered a Blaz'n Grid Iron. What attracted me to the Blaz'n is their pro shelf unit that doubles up the grate capacity of the grill compared to our Yoder.

A welding blanket from Harbor Freight works excellent as a insulated blanket for your smoker!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just picked up a Green Mountain Grill David Bowie and freakin' love it. Had a friend over for thanksgiving who owns a Traeger and said he liked how my fan pulsated when it reached temperature, causing more smoke, as opposed to his Traeger where the fan runs constantly. He also liked the built in meat probe for the GMG which you can set an alarm on to beep when your food reaches temperature. I didn't get the WIFI version, figured this was fancy enough and already making me lazier than i need to be.

Since i picked it up two weeks ago i've done a 3lb pork loin(2.5 hours), 18lb turkey (10 hours), and 16lb prime rib (5 hours) all for thanksgiving this weekend. Each meat was the best i've ever tasted by a long shot. I'm sure every pellet grill is amazing and the low/slow is a win-win. Based on my experience, and others experiences with customer support, i'd recommend a GMG.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone on friday. Their black friday special runs through tomorrow. I got the wifi model at $300 off. Did the initial burn last night and then threw some chicken breasts on. Turned out great. I've got a lot of learning to do yet but I'm looking forward to using it.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Traeger’s are ok for a smoker grill, but the Green Mountains are hands down better, hold temperature better, more versatile , heat better and hold constant temperature better in wind … and those wifi models are pretty sweet…I know a couple people with them and they love them…it is on my things to get list…

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Traeger’s are ok for a smoker grill, but the Green Mountains are hands down better, hold temperature better, more versatile , heat better and hold constant temperature better in wind … and those wifi models are pretty sweet…I know a couple people with them and they love them…it is on my things to get list…

Good to know. I'm still trying to get the wifi stuff figured out. Mainly wanted this so I can keep the firmware up to date. I'm not sure how much I will actually use it for cooking purposes. It could be handy to check the meat temp from the couch...

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only knock on the Green Mountains is that each one can be different from the other…meaning each one seems to have its own temperature range … it will hold constant however if it says it’s at 275 … might really be at 279 or vice-versa … so might take some trial and error but once you get it figured out you’re good to go

Established Member
rec-tec for me works awesome 40 lbs of pellets can run all night great warranty I had a board go out 3 years after purchase called they sent out free

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you've got an old quilt or blankets you don't use any more, they work just as good or better.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any pellet advice but what I suggest on the pork would be to skip the wet marinade and just do a dry marinade overnight. Sprinkle on a little kosher salt all over along with a simple rub. My general rub is white and brown sugar (50/50) some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika if you have it, a little mustard and cumin powder as well if you have it. Layer it on in a light coat and let it sit overnight and you should get a nice bark, just careful on the temp with all the sugar. I also like to use a mix of apple juice and cider vinegar for a spray or baste while smoking

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could eat out at peacock or east 40's about a dozen times for the price of these guys. good lord.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35