Plumbing Question

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey everyone, thought I'd pull on the experience from others here, as I'm no plumbing master. I'm working on a honey-do item and we're converting a storage closet into a more organized food storage space with some shelving. The previous homeowners had moved the clothes washer and dryer from this closet and put them elsewhere. This gaping hole was covered with a poorly-cut chunk of sheetrock and in general just looked like chit. I'd like to completely cover this up with a new sheet of sheetrock, but I'm not sure if that's kosher with the vent and blocked off water lines in this hole. Anyone have experience in this type of situation?

Attachments

20231230_170040.jpg

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would put a solid cap over the vent line and go down below and pull those water lines out and cap them off also. I wouldn't leave them capped off in the wall.
Should have mentioned - this is in a manufactured home (also see "double-wide trailer"). No basement or heated crawlspace, just cold crawlspace and belly tarp.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clothes washer in another room
You can’t cap that vent then. It’s a sure vent air-admittance valve it appears. If you cap that your washer won’t drain properly. It lets the washer drain draw air when it drains but prevents sewer gas from escaping when nothing is draining down that line

stever58

You could sheet rock the opening and put in heat register to allow air for the air admittance valve

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can’t cap that vent then. It’s a sure vent air-admittance valve it appears. If you cap that your washer won’t drain properly. It lets the washer drain draw air when it drains but prevents sewer gas from escaping when nothing is draining down that line
When I wrote to cap it off, I figured if they moved the washer/dryer they must have put a vent on the sewer line.
Maybe they didn't.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93