Possible New Boat Trailer

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thinking about ordering a new trailer for my boat. Looking for any insight, thoughts, or experiences you gents have with getting a new trailer for your boat. So I have a 2019 Lund 1875 Impact XS - came with the standard single axel Shorland'r bunk trailer. After 2 seasons I put ST 10 ply tires on because I run quite a bit of gravel. Replaced the hubs after 3 seasons, jack trailer up monthly during the season to check tires and grease as needed. Love my boat - paid off last year, upgraded electronics last year. Considering a new trailer because I would love to have a tandem axel trailer. The wife and I plan to take some longer trips with the boat/camper, think the tandem trailer would pull better. I called North Country Marine in Garrison - gave them the details on my boat including my hull number. They are going to contact their Shorlandr supplier in MN to get pricing on the trailer I would like. No idea what to expect for pricing...we'll see. Will probably keep my boat 3 to 4 more seasons - think it might be a good investment. Thoughts...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tandem axel is the way to go for trailering..however they are WAY harder to move when not attached to pickup. Will you get your money out if it when you sell it? Doubtful...will pulling long distance be better? Absolutely. To me this purchase you would have to justify with yourself. I wouldn't call anything that depreciates an investment either. Selling your single will recover some of the money from the price of the new one. Selling could also be a little easier when that time comes. If you are ok with spending the money go for it, it's your money and you should do what you want with it. You also have to remember 4 tires instead of two....4 bearings instead of two..more upkeep. I can tell you I probably would not buy a boat without a tandem...especially a bigger boat.
Oh and 4 tires on gravel means more shit kicked up as well..rocks dust etc...some people care..some dont.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^Right on - thanks for the insight Fester! Will prolly come down to the price - was gonna put new tires on this year anyway...so we'll see! I put 3 - 4 thousand miles a year on the trailer, so if I pull the trigger feel like it will be a good investment.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to be that guy, but "axel" is for figure skating, "axle" is for trailers.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to be that guy, but "axel" is for figure skating, "axle" is for trailers.
That guy "Axel" is Foley

1707400458667.png

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As Fester noted, don't expect to maneuver a tandem by hand in the garage. Easy to move back and forth if floor is flat and clean but no turning to tuck into a corner.

I prefer bunk so would stick with that on a new one.

Do they offer one with a bed liner type coating? Had a painted shorelandr that got pummeled by gravel. Ranger trailers come coated in "Road Armor" which keeps from chipping and rusting. If not from factory, maybe they could deduct the paint and you could get it sprayed.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
As Fester noted, don't expect to maneuver a tandem by hand in the garage. Easy to move back and forth if floor is flat and clean but no turning to tuck into a corner.

I prefer bunk so would stick with that on a new one.

Do they offer one with a bed liner type coating? Had a painted shorelandr that got pummeled by gravel. Ranger trailers come coated in "Road Armor" which keeps from chipping and rusting. If not from factory, maybe they could deduct the paint and you could get it sprayed.
I think Shorelander has a galvanized option. I had a Lund boat with a galvanized trailer that held up very well. If you don't mind the look, I think it is worth it.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Single Axle for short trips tandem for long trips but getting use to it in parking lot and back up etc.. is learning curve can damage very easy I have seen plenty. Maint is key every year going on 15 years ole shorelander tandem roller.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which one of you fellas feels like replacing the bunks on my tandem. It is over due, but just not my thing.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boat shows coming up if your feeling real itchy. Why stop at just the trailer, get a new rig.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which one of you fellas feels like replacing the bunks on my tandem. It is over due, but just not my thing.
I have seen alot of options depends how bad wood under carpet is. Maybe you can just order new and bolt on. I have helped few just put new carpet on and some have used better wood than wrapped in carpet. Yes not fun, or visit local boat dealers but they can be picky too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84