Prairie dog hunting

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Not looking for anyone’s spots, rather tips on how to set up. Essentials. Do’s and donts. Thanks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used to shoot Tourneys so here goes. Shoot all the big dogs first or Mama will take the pups down and will not let them back up. I shot 22-250 and loaded them down in speed instead of up, Barrel didnt get so hot if you plan on shooting a lot. They will still splatter at 3100 ft per second with hollow points or ballistic tips. Just have to know your scope. Found ranchers in Montana a lot more helpful than ND. A few beers in the local water hole helps. Last big shoot I was on there were 3 of us and we went through 3500 round in 2 and a half days out by Miles city Montana. Started Friday afternoon and were reloading Saturday night for Sunday shoot. LB

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Start short range on short range dogs and work your way out. Match your guns with those ranges. The flatter shooting rounds at extended ranges take a bit of the guess work out of longer range shots with wind and drop ballistics.
I have been thinking of getting a .223 AR. Maybe not the flattest gun but cheaper ammo. 🤷‍♂️

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How could you kill the sweet furry little prairie dog

Last night right before I posted I missed one but hit the one behind it. It must have grazed his face. I watched him in the scope run circles with a piece missing from his face and the others were like, "Check out Fred, he's acting weird". I laughed my ass off, and cussed my aim, but I think I need to zero my rifle in a bit, I'm just missing them at ranges I was dropping them last fall.

Oh, I did pepper 3 with my shotgun yesterday as they are starting to come in shotgun range to the house.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunt prairie dog towns that don’t get hunted. Or hunt now before they get shot at for three months straight.
Yup this is when it's best. Shoot the big ones and the pups won't go down.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33