Preparing/Eating Thunder Chickens

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If work ever gets off my chest we'll be shooting some turkeys out west.

What's everyone's go-to on eating them? It's been too many years since I've done it.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I grind the breasts for turkey salad sammiches and use the legs/thighs carcass for soup.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first word would be "bacon". My second and third words would be "Wild Rice", followed by my forth and fifth words being "seasoned asparagus". Toothpick bacon around any turkey meat and bake in an oven bag. Serve with the aforementioned accouterments, along with some good white wine and you have a veritable feast. Hope you bag one.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are not shot up they are great fried have fun plucking. I just cooked one yesterday I breasted one of the birds out and made a bacon weave. Wrapped the breast in that. Then I smoked it for 4 hours. It was very good. Make sure you don’t over cook it will get dry.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
a dip in hot water helps make the plucking easier. smoking or grilling the whole bird are my favorite cooking methods

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to pluck them and get them smoked. Now I have less time on my hands so I just run all of the meat through a grinder along with a pound of bacon and make turkey burgers on the grill.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the few i've seen had so much yellow fat on them in the breast area (like 1.5+ inches) i can't imagine just plucking and cooking them. how does that taste? are they all that fat?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone just chunk up the breast and throw it in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, onions and cream of mushroom soup?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone just chunk up the breast and throw it in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, onions and cream of mushroom soup?

That sounds like something I’m gonna try.
Most of the time I just skin them out (don’t pluck anymore), cut them up in various size strips and either throw them on the grill with some light seasoning or bread and fry up just like chicken fingers. Yum Yum

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chunks of turkey or the whole breast covered in cream of mushroom soup, a few diced onions, topped with cheese and a top layer of croutons thrown in the oven is another wonderful dish we make with our turkeys.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its been about a decade since i last shot one, but back then my mom made it in the oven just like a thanksgiving turkey and they were great. We did that with 2-3 of them and all turned out good. I have heard some people say they taste like shit, but those people probably hate deer to.

PS: Did anybody have any luck calling this weekend? I didn't go out but will probably give it a try this coming weekend.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skin them, then breast them out. Use Turkey breasts in ANY CHICKEN RECIPE. Dice, slice, grill, roast, whatever you can think of will work.

Don't waste time plucking them.

I use Drumsticks and thighs in soups

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scald em in boiling water then just brush the feathers off. Best I've had is deep fried. But set up the fryer so that you can have everything but the legs in for the first half of the cooking time. Then drop it in the rest of the way otherwise the legs over cook something fierce. Put a thermometer in the breast and leave it in there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In addition to what's already been posted, deep-fried nuggets in your favorite coating.

Might be too much work, but, maybe your hot-water machine to ~100-110, then 90min or so in the smoker, followed by just enough time on a grill to attain finish temp and crispy skin.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second turkey nuggets, just bread and deep fry. My all time favorite: brine if you have time otherwise just butterfly the breast the long way use prepared stove top stuffing put down a layer then sprinkle a layer of cheese. roll that all up and bake 350 for about an hour or till done. I simmer the legs and thighs with some veggies all day, then shred and crisp up in a little oil/fat and right at the end add a splash of lemon juice and a drizzle of honey stir and serve like carnitas or tacos or whatever you'd normally use meat like that

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take it in and get it smoked. Smoked wild turkey is really good

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Tried every way over the years, and settled on crock pot. Pretty idiot proof for a lousy cook like myself. Impossible to overlook and turn into hardened rubber wild turkey.
Still haven’t figured out how to remove the tendons in the leg. The thigh to knee is eatable, but below the knee is just a mass of tendons. I saw a short video on an outdoor website of how to remove tendons from pheasants but lost track of it. Wonder if it works on turkeys?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33